Anybody running an X pipe?

I'm running an XPipe on my 70 SS. I had a 3" x pipe on it and now I have a 3 1/2" from the hooker comp headers to the X then out of the other half of the X is 3" to the rest of the 3" exhaust system. 

I purchased the last Torque Tech kit and it was made with the 3 1/2" front section. I will try to get pics. 

We also installed one into my son's GTO convertible. We used a universal x pipe kit from summit. 2 1/2" front to back. Here is a pic of my brother welding it up outside the car.

IMG_20200321_124234.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

Is anybody running an X pipe?

Are you looking at doing an x-pipe for performance or sound...or both?

The x-pipe will help over all for performance but in my opinion at the sacrifice of a true dual exhaust sound.

I decided against a cross over (x-pipe or h-pipe) on my Monte so I would have a different sound than most other people...it also helps that I have 3 1/2" Torque Tech exhaust from the headers to rear bumper, lol.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 502ci said:

Are you looking at doing an x-pipe for performance or sound...or both?

The x-pipe will help over all for performance but in my opinion at the sacrifice of a true dual exhaust sound.

I decided against a cross over (x-pipe or h-pipe) on my Monte so I would have a different sound than most other people...it also helps that I have 3 1/2" Torque Tech exhaust from the headers to rear bumper, lol.

I was considering adding one for performance but not sure if I want to go that direction due to the exhaust possibly hanging low due to the X? Is that correct? My engine is currently being built and it will be a dyno tested 600HP. I'm also glad that you mentioned how it would alter the sound because that would probably be a deal killer for me.  

The exhaust doesn't hang too low of done properly.

My 70 SS, 496, 3 1/2" to 3" x pipe with ultraflow mufflers, I'm told, sounds amazing! Can't upload the video, 😡🤬

Here's a pic when I got the front end aligned to see how the exhaust  hangs. 

IMG_20200822_125711.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

The exhaust doesn't hang too low of done properly.

My 70 SS, 496, 3 1/2" to 3" x pipe with ultraflow mufflers, I'm told, sounds amazing! Can't upload the video, 😡🤬

Here's a pic when I got the front end aligned to see how the exhaust  hangs. 

IMG_20200822_125711.jpg

That looks pretty sweet! I hope you could give the upload a try I'd really like to hear it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

I'm also glad that you mentioned how it would alter the sound because that would probably be a deal killer for me.  

Don't let it be a deal killer, the exhaust note will still be great with a cross over. 
I am old school and like to be different. You probably could not tell the difference unless the two cars were side by side and then like I mentioned it's a preference thing. The only way I could explain the exhaust note would be to use a Harley...they come with a dual exhaust from the factory with a cross over (now a days even have a catalytic converter incorporated in it). Remove the head pipes and replace it with a true dual and you will have a sound more of a drum beat...hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 502ci said:

Don't let it be a deal killer, the exhaust note will still be great with a cross over. 
I am old school and like to be different. You probably could not tell the difference unless the two cars were side by side and then like I mentioned it's a preference thing. The only way I could explain the exhaust note would be to use a Harley...they come with a dual exhaust from the factory with a cross over (now a days even have a catalytic converter incorporated in it). Remove the head pipes and replace it with a true dual and you will have a sound more of a drum beat...hope that makes sense.

That's a good interpretation. I have a single pipe that was rusted, so I had an 2002 Midas exhaust with Ravin' Flowmasters on it. It does have the drumbeat. There's no H pipe or anything.