Best aftermarket TH400 transmission?

1Bad454

I just discovered that my transmission is missing the entire tab on one side that the inspection cover plate mounts to... I'm now looking for a new transmission. Who makes a good strong transmission?  

I fully trust and believe in the. ROSSLER transmission.  They are located in Girard, Ohio.

Just give them a call, Let them know what you are wanting to do. They can handle anything you throw at them. 

1-330-530-5000

• Like 1

If I had to replace my stock THM-350 I would strongly consider a trans with overdrive.

Almost all cars have had overdrive since 1984.

I don't know if it applies to your vehicle or it's use, just my two cents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

Be aware, Monster transmissions is all over the web. Using their units requires downgrading to a stock V6 so you don't break it.

Thank you for bringing that up! I was on their site looking things up. The search goes on.  

Ronald, you'll need a case. The best TH400 cases are the HD ones. Right now, there's two on ebay.

I suggest you find a transmission shop in your area that does performance work, and not a chain shop like Aamco, etc. Find a one owner shop.

When they deal with a customer in person, not via mail order, they'll do a better job. And you can go back if there's a problem.

Tell them you want all new frictions and steels, bands, seals, 34 element sprag and bearings. There may be some reliability and performance upgrades you'd be interested in such as a shift kit and roller bearings.

Give them you dipstick and tube so they can confirm the full mark is accurate.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 3:32 PM, 1Bad454 said:

I just discovered that my transmission is missing the entire tab on one side that the inspection cover plate mounts to... I'm now looking for a new transmission. Who makes a good strong transmission?  

Did you call any welders and see if the can form a new tab?  Based on what your saying where it’s broke don’t affect the transmission at all 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy's Auto said:

Ron, don't sweat the missing ear. They were very commonly cut off when removal with headers. In fact, I don't think I have ever run a belly pan on anything I have ever built.

I was wondering if it was cut off purposely back in the day...    

35 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Did you call any welders and see if the can form a new tab?  Based on what your saying where it’s broke don’t affect the transmission at all 

I was considering having it fixed being that it is the original transmission. I'm not sure how common the repair is though..

19 minutes ago, 1Bad454 said:

Here is what it looks like. What do you guys think? 

IMG_1866.JPG

I’d get it fixed. A welder can build it up than grind it down to form the tab and the flat spot for the cover bolt. It may never be perfect but you will get them bolt holes back. But it does kinda look like it was done intentionally 

• Like 1

I've repaired broken tabs on automatics and manual transmissions in the past with success. It can be more difficult because the porosity of the old castings can sometimes hold oil which will try to contaminate the weld. No matter how much you surface clean it, it may try to come out as it heats up. That being said, I have managed to get it to work out pretty good.

• Like 1