Random wires

smokinquack

Cleaning up my engine bay and have these wires that dont go anywhere.  Black and blue on a connector, and green seperate.  Go to a "little silver fuse" Also a ground and another by the wiper motor (which isnt working).  Any ideas?

20210212_174025.jpg

20210212_174111.jpg

In the second pic, The white and brown were used for the coil when the car had a points distributor. With the key in the on position, make sure you don't have power to the terminal. If you do, tape it up so it doesn't ground out. 

• Like 1

If you have one on the car it would be on the carb. Drivers side. Do you have a big block?? My car didn't have one and we had trouble finding any history of one on a big block but I had a bracket made for mine. I have a extra solenoid if you need one but no bracket

The brown and white wire was hot with the key on so I taped it off, thanks for that.  It is a SS454 and I dont see a solinoid, maybe the wire is provincial?  Sidenote- I double checked the wiper fuse and its broke on the end, not blown in the middle like you would expect so hopefully a new fuse will fix it.

20210226_172855.jpg

I added the solenoid. As I posted we haven't found a picture of a 70 ss with the solenoid but this was a guess. As I posted I have an extra solenoid if you need one and I know some that can make the bracket. The patch harness can be bought on line

IMG_20200909_1207553.thumb.jpg.2f4f615ca2082c4087190bac5b0ac0ca.jpgIMG_20200909_1207462.thumb.jpg.3e5b0fbf1d9f734b3f346334f43cc072.jpg

• Like 1

It is a 70 SS454, what is the purpose of the solinoid?  There is a screw that sets the idle speed, which I have adjusted, it runs good, idles good, was there ever one? do I need one?          I meant to say provisional not  provincial

It is also used to reduce the chances of dieseling/engine run-on after the key is shut off.  When the key is shut off it removes power from the solenoid and the plunger drops down allowing the throttle to stop gas flow into the carb to prevent the diesel in

rob

Yes, like Rob mentioned my car was dieseling at shut off and it fixed that problem. The parts book shows the solenoid for the 70 but like I said we haven't found any proof that they ever had one. In 71 they changed the design of the carb to incorporate a the bracket. In a prior post many members posted pictures of the 71. I'm still looking for proof but until then I'm going to leave it on the car.

Hi Greg, I had sent you a PM the other day in regards to these wires. I believe the black and blue wires are for the TCS solenoid which connect to the silver "little fuse" on the wire gutter. There is also the green wire with a jumper (2 terminal connector) to the temperature sensor in the passenger head. Another wire should come off the little fuse and go down to the transmission switch on the driver's side. The TCS solenoid would mount on the intake near the alternator bracket. This solenoid controls vacuum advance and most solenoids are discarded for better performance.