New purchase: 1971 SS454 Restoration Project

Ghackett1

Welcome, Bill! That looks like a good starting point for the full resto you are planning.  I'm in Punta Gorda during the six winter months - are you near by?

Thx everyone. Looking forward to the project and I’m happy to be e new member.

Dennis, I’m in Naples so not far from you.

2 hours ago, MCfan said:

Welcome, Bill! That looks like a good starting point for the full resto you are planning.  I'm in Punta Gorda during the six winter months - are you near by?

5 hours ago, Ghackett1 said:

Thanks everyone! I’ll post pics of the progress when I get started and as it progresses. 

Welcome!  Can’t wait to see how that beautiful gal turns out. Every time I see an SS, I can’t help but wonder how many of the 5,742 of them are still around. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Dtret said:

Ya I know but I figured I’d get him a little more excited 

With all these SS’s showing up makes me wonder if they are starting to be cloned. IE 3 million 70 chevelle SS’s

Bill,

Welcome aboard the boards, we hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member of the club.  That looks like a great Monte to start a restoration project on and a bonus is it is an SS454.  Keep the pictures coming because we love Monte pictures.... we also like to see Monte owner pictures so we can connect a member face to their car.

rob

On 3/7/2021 at 8:59 PM, MC1of80 said:

He added the 70s-3,823 and the 71s- 1,919. 

On 3/8/2021 at 7:40 AM, Dtret said:

Ya I know but I figured I’d get him a little more excited 

Do you guys have any idea how long it took me to add those numbers using my fingers and toes???

On 3/8/2021 at 7:38 PM, Dtret said:

With all these SS’s showing up makes me wonder if they are starting to be cloned. IE 3 million 70 chevelle SS’s

Funny you mention that... that was one of my concerns which I expressed to the dude that I paid to fly out and inspect my car.  His response?  “Monte SS’s have only recently become more and more noticed and hitting the radar as highly desirable as prices on higher end Chevelles and Camaros are outta control. I am highly confident that Monte Carlo SS’s aren’t being cloned and offered for sale... yet”.

I will say that looking at ads of cars that are advertised as an SS can be quite comical...

8 hours ago, Glen said:

Do you guys have any idea how long it took me to add those numbers using my fingers and toes???

Funny you mention that... that was one of my concerns which I expressed to the dude that I paid to fly out and inspect my car.  His response?  “Monte SS’s have only recently become more and more noticed and hitting the radar as highly desirable as prices on higher end Chevelles and Camaros are outta control. I am highly confident that Monte Carlo SS’s aren’t being cloned and offered for sale... yet”.

I will say that looking at ads of cars that are advertised as an SS can be quite comical...

O there are really bad clones out there. I have seen my share. I own a 70 chevelle the I got in 1984 and to this day I have never REALLY worked on it because there is enough correct for it to be an SS but there is also enough wrong. I bought it as an SS but clones weren’t really happening back then. And now it’s the Montes turn. No build sheet on the chevelle but I do have it for my Monte 

23 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Bill,

Welcome aboard the boards, we hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member of the club.  That looks like a great Monte to start a restoration project on and a bonus is it is an SS454.  Keep the pictures coming because we love Monte pictures.... we also like to see Monte owner pictures so we can connect a member face to their car.

rob

Thanks Rob, I plan on becoming a paid member hopefully by weekends end. Thx for the invite, much appreciated👍

Welcome to the best place to see how your SS was built!! "Nice save" as I would say. There are some members down your way. I have a goo friend in  Ocala that is restoring a '72 Custom. Looks like a very good start on a SS!!post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg