BF on trim plate —-What does that mean. See Pic

Ghackett1

If you look here, under the Baltimore plant, they address that third line and no real documentation to report. They said they may pertain to trim or brightwork, but it's a guess.

http://chevellestuff.net/tech/articles/trim_tags/tt_1971.htm

“Chevrolet By the Numbers” lists “BF” on the trim tag as the Fremont, California assembly plant code... but for 1970. 

Do you have a build sheet?  If you do, where does it show your girl being assembled?  She was built the first week of February 1971, so maybe the information as listed in the book is inaccurate and some (at least EARLY) 71’s were still assembled in Fremont.  

Just a semi-logical assumption on my behalf, coupled with what I found in the book. I hope this helps...

6E6C5228-6181-4082-967B-3B2A0A7FB7B4.jpeg

In this cade the BF is not in the plant code area. There is a B in the top line of the body tag indicating Baltimore. No Montes were built in Fremont.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

My Baltimore built 71 SS454 also has BF in the same spot.

09414479-6CEE-4EAB-883B-376A5C13D848.jpeg

Here’s what’s f&&king me up even more now ...

Ghackett’s ‘BF’ is definitely a ‘B’ - as evidenced by the straight edge, while yours  clearly resembles a number ‘8’.  Observe...

52465B91-409A-4735-8C4F-2D9EACDFD191.png

DF321991-5967-4622-B420-393E7A9CBE06.png

Maybe it’s the lighting / shadow / heavy paint on the tag. Or perhaps it’s my old eyes. Either way, I can’t wait to hear what exactly “BF” or “8F” represents.  And for the record, I concur that it’s a “B”, not an “8”. 

Thanks for the help everyone. I have a B where it’s supposed to be so it’s a Baltimore built car for sure. But it’s interesting that at least two others here also have the BF—-so I just joined here a few days ago, just bought my car a few days ago and now I’ve unfolded a mystery for us to unravel😁

I have collected a handful of images of 1971 Monte Baltimore body tags and all if them have the B in the third line. The two SS ones I have have the F after the B. This clearly isn’t conclusive that F means SS but I’ll keep the search going.

• Like 1

Thx Canuck, I appreciate you looking into this. Sounds like you may be on to something, be cool to know once it’s conclusive —- if it comes to that—-that the trim tag could be used as another way to verify SS authenticity.

Yes it is a SS. although the trim tag says it was built the third week of september, due to the strike it didnt get produced till december as the blue door decal says. I believe your barnfind cowl tag says it was built 09B, so it got built before the strike. Your blue door decal probably says it was built september of 70.

This first trim tag is a 71SS owned by Leo which was was built in Baltimore and has the same date code as mine and has a vin within 500 of mine. The second Kansas City Cowl tag is also Leo’s and is an SS and he told me the L on the tag means it is an SS. So maybe it’s possible the BF on Baltimore cars means it’s an SS like the L on Kansas City cars?

E5FFD328-0361-407D-AD0A-A2057D78BC51.png

B7E82831-3FB9-4ED4-8243-B346A3A3234D.png

F55B3A7C-B1B8-4DB6-8AF7-F7766041C4BD.png

97A5D80B-43D3-4B03-B5F9-19A4C9708071.png

• Like 1

Correct! Barn find is a 402 auto with only B.  Barn find was built Sept 70 for 71 and my 70 SS was built Sept 69 for 70, Flint car though. 

O1C- 3rd week January 71 is the build date of our 71 402 4 speed Monte Carlo. It also only has a B. The numbers matching 402 was assembled in August of 70. Figure it's a strike delayed car. 

5 hours ago, DaveC said:

My 04A built Baltimore 71 SS has BF as well.

are you able to send me a photo of that tag for my research?

Wow, this is getting very close to confirming 71 454SS Baltimore car trim tags are coded BF.  I have not yet seen a 71 SS Baltimore tag without it! Aren’t you guys glad I joined the forum🙄😁

• Like 1

Here is another Baltimore cowl tag with a B. It is a 350 2 barrel with 17,000 miles. 71s were just built out of 4 plants, it makes sense that if all Canadian build cars have Z 20 on SS tags and if it’s true that all Kansas SS cars have an L on them, it makes sense that Baltimore cars could have BF to signify an SS. Makes me wonder if there’s any data like this on Van Nuys built 71 SS.

ADDE02E7-FCE3-4A7C-8802-A7992EE39080.png

3E573372-A03F-4BE1-B4B6-5DF649E2C0C2.png

• Like 1

ok here we go, I did not look at the cars or trim tags but i have paperwork on all cars, with the trim tag data. All of my SS's are Kansas cars and all have "L" on the trim tags. All of my parts cars are 350 cars and are all from Baltimore (except one) and only have a "B" only on the trim tag. The other 350 car is from Canada and has no B at all but on the 3rd line it has (113    C08) but it is a 72...

If you need me to check anything i will, I am not sure this helps but thats what i have.

• Like 1