BF on trim plate —-What does that mean. See Pic

Ghackett1

OK, I'm still working on this research but here's where it stands now. I have 14 1971 Baltimore tags, 5 are SS cars and 9 are not. All the SS car tags have the BF and the non-SS tags have the B. I have a few 1970 Baltimore tags, 1 SS car and 3 non-SS. All the 1970 tags only have the B.

The Chevelles built in Baltimore are either B or BD. The general understanding of the D is to indicate that stripes were ordered instructing the worker to put stripes on it. It has been suggested (not proven) that the F on the 1971 Monte SS tag instructs the worker to paint the rear tail panel black which would then verify it is an SS. Seems like a good theory. This explains why the 71 SS has the F but the 1970 does not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SS-Al said:

Way back when I had a 71SS in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada any idea where it would’ve been built

If you have a VIN we may be able to help you out on that

rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SS-Al said:

Way back when I had a 71SS in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada any idea where it would’ve been built

Could have been any plant. They were shipped all over the place. As Rob said the VIN will tell the tale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So far the evidence has pointed toward all 1971 SS454s built in Baltimore have the F. I have not found a trim tag yet that goes against this theory.

• Like 1

I agree with all your findings. We have 4,1971 Monte Carlos all Baltimore built cars 2, big block NON SS cars and one small block all have just have the B on the trim tag. The one SS car has the BF. Great work you have done 👍👍

• Like 1