Quarter panel advice

72RustBucket

Hey guys! Good news! Tax returns are in and I'm ready to go broke! I'm looking to finish up metal work by doing my quarters. I've done research, but having a 2nd,3rd, and even a 4th opinion is never a bad thing!

I know my drivers side is a total loss and will need a full quarter. The passenger side however, may be able to get away with a skin/patch. 

I would love to hear what you think. 

Thanks for your time! 

received_316499716050087.jpeg

Probably get a skin and only cut out the sections you need. Don't use the whole skin. Use as much of the original quarter you can. More pics of the "bad" areas would help. 

47 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Probably get a skin and only cut out the sections you need. Don't use the whole skin. Use as much of the original quarter you can. More pics of the "bad" areas would help. 

I'll try to get closer pics. Since that was taken I've treated and epoxied to prevent further damage.

The passenger side quarter can definitely be patched, cut out the areas needing repair going beyond the rust until you hit good metal (using existing body lines as a guide), then cut out what you need from a quarter skin. Again from the one picture I see there is no need for a full quarter on the passenger side. I would like to see a picture of the driver side so I can see what it needs. But the passenger side from what I see is not bad.

After talking it over with my shop owner, I'm going to go with full quarters on both sides. I'll be saving myself time and headache in the end, because i wont have to worry about hiding seams as much. Though I enjoy body work, there is just too much minor damage across the passenger quarter to comfortably use a skin in my opinion. I would basically have to use the entire skin. From what I've researched...if you have to use the entire skin, you should probably get a full quarter... but maybe things have changed.

If you are just repairing areas around the wheel opening than a skin works good for that. It's hard to tell from the one picture the severity of the damage that needs to be repaired. Having said that, a new quarter would likely be my vote. Especially if you have any rot in the rear window channel.

18 minutes ago, 714024SPEED said:

I vote for a new quarter . If you have to use the whole skin then going with a full quarter is a lot less body work.

Exactly my thoughts. I don't want to worry about trying to hide or blend a 5 foot weld lol.

• Like 1

Watch where you get your quarter panels from. I got mine from OPGI. My body guy said the line in the quarter ran off where the quarter extension meet the quarter panel. I don't know if it was true, but I was pissed.. but in the end he did get it right.

IMG_8495.jpg

20200901_161037_resized.jpg

20200923_130534.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 5:34 PM, 72RustBucket said:

Hey guys! Good news! Tax returns are in and I'm ready to go broke! I'm looking to finish up metal work by doing my quarters. I've done research, but having a 2nd,3rd, and even a 4th opinion is never a bad thing!

I know my drivers side is a total loss and will need a full quarter. The passenger side however, may be able to get away with a skin/patch. 

I would love to hear what you think. 

Thanks for your time! 

received_316499716050087.jpeg

Hey, I'm a little late in submitting this but. We did both full quarters, didn't encounter any fitment issues. Just used a lot of screw before doing any of the spot welding, If you have a plasma cutter it makes removal a lot easier. We also ended up replacing the rear inner/outer wheel wells and both sides inner trunk filler panels. 

• Like 1