1970/71 Baltimore body tags

I’m doing some research on 1970/71 Baltimore body tags. I would appreciate images of these body tags to help collect the information.

Mainly I’m looking at the codes in the third line of the tag. it seems like all Baltimore 70/71s have a “B” in the middle of the third line but some have “BF”.

• Like 1

Hey Aaron,

Wouldn't that be something if you stumbled uppon a way to identify 71 SS Monte Carlos.

Here is a pic of my 71 402 "barn find" trim tag. 

IMG_20200803_124907.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the tags posted so far. Keep them coming.

I have a total of 7 Baltimore 1971 tags thus far. All have the "B" in the third line. Two of the tags are SS cars and they have the "F" after the B. The possible theory is that only the SS had the F. Clearly this is not enough tags to be evidence of anything but I have not found anything yet contrary to the theory so I'll keep collecting tag info. I have concluded the F is not related to simply being a big block since I have one that is a 402 car and only has the B.

• Like 1

Aaron, both barn find and the 4speed car are 402 cars. Numbers matching. So like you are trying to confirm, maybe the SS 454  has an F after the B. This is interesting to find out. 

Willie, check you fleet of 71 SSs. Lolol

• Canuck changed the title to 1970/71 Baltimore body tags

Keep those tags coming. We may be on to something here I just need more tags to have enough data to feel comfortable with the theory.

• Like 1

Canuck, thx so much for digging in on this. I’m glad I sent a picture of my BF trim tag to you guys thus initiating this whole conversation and getting a possible breakthrough started. I just bought the car and was digging around for information on my particular car and I couldn’t find anything listed that would decipher that BF in its particular location. I’ve owned a few 69 Z28’s and know the significance of the X33 or X77 in a similar trim tag location on those cars.  Being a new 71SS owner and forum member I am amazed at the fervency in which this forum has scrambled to find an answer. Agreed we still need to see some more 71SS tags to confirm, but I’m feeling pretty confident at this point.  Thank you again.

Also, I’m going to Turkey Rod Run in Daytona Beach the end of March, I’ll look around for a 71SS 454 and maybe I can get a picture of another trim tag or two. Can’t hurt.

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Aaron, since we have identified BF as a 71 SS from Baltimore so what would single B from Baltimore would stand for?

I really just think it stands for Baltimore since every Baltimore built Monte seems to have it. That’s just a guess though.

As far as the F meaning it is a 71 SS, I’m not sure I’m ready to say that is a sure thing. I have not found anything that suggests it isn’t correct but the sample size isn’t large enough to fully conclude on that. I’ll continue to check tags at the meets or any other 71 Montes I see. The evidence so far sure points to it being correct though.

• Like 3

Hey Aaron, here's a photo of my '70 Monte's body tag. 

We had a discussion some time ago re guarding the "Baltimore" body tag and "Flint" V.I.N. on the dash panel.

I've looked at both, and they both appear to be original. The fasteners don't look like they've been changed. Any ideas on how this could have happened ?

Montelishi I.D. tag.jpg

14 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Hey Aaron, here's a photo of my '70 Monte's body tag. 

We had a discussion some time ago re guarding the "Baltimore" body tag and "Flint" V.I.N. on the dash panel.

I've looked at both, and they both appear to be original. The fasteners don't look like they've been changed. Any ideas on how this could have happened ?

Montelishi I.D. tag.jpg

I would think that was impossible to happen. One of those must have been switched. Do you still have the blue sticker on the driver’s door with the vin typed on it? There is a VIN stamped on the firewall below the heater fan. I believe you would need to remove the plastic inner fender to see it. I would also look at the partial VIN on the engine and trans (if original to the car). The resources section of our site can help you with the location of those. I’m curious which plant those are from and if they match the VIN or not.

Hi Aaron and Dennis,

No, I don't have much for documentation.... And both the engine and trans aren't original. 

Once the weather co operates, I'll take a look for the V.I.N. on the firewall. 

With all the mismatched bits, I believe that Montelishi has been pieced together by her previous owner. :(

I know my 72 was peiced together. 700r4, 290 horse 350 crate motor, 70 dash cluster now replaced with Dakota digital, removed vinyl top and bucket seats and console plus Ferrari red paint

Here is a photo of my Baltimore built 71 402 automatic door tag. I also included picture of my firewall when I had the car apart during restoration. You can see the vin is upside down under the blower and AC cutouts.778C1511-C660-4870-89FC-0AEBCA54687B.thumb.jpeg.47d8d5b6878046e289e391c7060698a7.jpeg5284ABD6-971C-4700-B3CF-4EF7F202182D.thumb.jpeg.8ed7f8ebe1ad554ec5ae816de21c65b8.jpeg

6 hours ago, Leghome said:

I know my 72 was peiced together. 700r4, 290 horse 350 crate motor, 70 dash cluster now replaced with Dakota digital, removed vinyl top and bucket seats and console plus Ferrari red paint

But I bet she's still fun to drive. :)

This is very interesting information. If the theory pans out, SS cars built in Baltimore will have an "F" after the "B" thereby proving a true SS car.

We would need to see a much greater number of SS trim tags with the F.

My 71 Baltimore car, originally a 350 engine has the B but no F.

Also, was this for Baltimore built cars also?

Not to take away from this thread, I'm starting a thread that calls for those with SS car owners to look for the F code.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

This is very interesting information. If the theory pans out, SS cars built in Baltimore will have an "F" after the "B" thereby proving a true SS car.

We would need to see a much greater number of SS trim tags with the F.

My 71 Baltimore car, originally a 350 engine has the B but no F.

Also, was this for Baltimore built cars also?

Not to take away from this thread, I'm starting a thread that calls for those with SS car owners to look for the F code.

I wanted to ask for body tags from all Baltimore cars since more tags without the F for non-SS cars contribute to confirming the theory. It reduces the possibility of a non-SS car having the F. If the F for example was for something related to the load levelling system, all SS454s would have plus a few non-SS cars and therefore the F may not be proof of an SS. This is why we need to see tags from non-SS Baltimore cars also to help prove our theory.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello guy’s, I’m forwarding my recent 71 SS 454 restoration project trim tag with the “BF” code you are researching. Note: interior& seat type code is  707. The Rubber hood pads have rub most of it down. Please advise your thoughts on my SS. 91929AD9-A482-4E71-83B8-E53BC407C756.thumb.jpeg.e06130a9c851329099adb1ec2e6d87f2.jpeg42FBBBDA-7D4C-4F8A-ACA9-5010C31A85F1.thumb.jpeg.2fb81c42ce0db472521f9a26cc91510f.jpeg                  Thanks, Wade

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 540impala said:

Hello guy’s, I’m forwarding my recent 71 SS 454 restoration project trim tag with the “BF” code you are researching. Note: interior& seat type code is  707. The Rubber hood pads have rub most of it down. Please advise your thoughts on my SS. 91929AD9-A482-4E71-83B8-E53BC407C756.thumb.jpeg.e06130a9c851329099adb1ec2e6d87f2.jpeg42FBBBDA-7D4C-4F8A-ACA9-5010C31A85F1.thumb.jpeg.2fb81c42ce0db472521f9a26cc91510f.jpeg                  Thanks, Wade

That helps, thanks!

At this time all 71 SS tags I’ve seen have the F and all the non-SS tags do not have the F. This theory is looking pretty good.

• Like 3