BF GOODRICH T/A RADIALS

This discussion has been around for awhile & I e-mailed Coker about the Browning of the white lettering recently.  They replied & I have included their explanation below in this Post.                        In Sept. last year I ordered (5) Vintique 30 Series Rally Wheels.  Pandemic has caused supply problems and Order had been rescheduled twice so far with a projected late March, early April delivery target.  I originally planned on pulling the T/A Radials (pre browning) currently on and mount on new wheels.  Then I thought just leave alone and buy new T/A's.  The below article suggests that I find a New Tire if I want white lettering, according to the reply.  Didn't say that but no other Options.  Anyway, still considering swapping tires on wheels (if wheels ever show up) or looking at other raised white lettering tires for new wheels.  Cost roughly $90.00 to dismount, remount, balance, replace w/new steel valve stems on 5 original tires or about the cost of 1 tire!  

What say, Remove and Mount or leave alone and buy new non-BF Goodrich T/A Radial tires for new rims.  The wheels are Vintique 30 Series Rally Wheels - 15"x8"X4.75X5" BS mounting projected 245x60x15" Radials.  Any suggestions on another white raised letter Tire would be helpful.:)

Here is Coker's explanation for dirty white lettering:

Hello Douglas,
Thanks for contacting the BFGoodrich Consumer Care Team. My name is Karen and I look forward to helping you out. You've been assigned case number 02059864. This will allow my team to quickly pull up your case details if any further questions arise. 

We are sorry to hear you are having an appearance issue with your tires. 

The brownish color on the sidewall of your tires is not a defect.  

The source of this discoloration can be varied.  

One possibility is that the tires contain an anti-ozone agent in their rubber compounds to slow down the ill effects of exposure to ozone in the air.  

This anti-ozone ingredient will migrate to the surface of the rubber and leave the appearance of a brownish dust.  

The browning is the normal functioning of the anti-oxidants in the rubber that prevent ozone cracking. While it's not pretty to look at, it can likely be washed off and it is a sign that the compound is working to defend from ozone cracking. 

Other possibilities for discoloration can be simply dust that is picked up from normal driving or brake dust which is generated by the abrasion of the brake pads against the brake rotor.  

This latter condition is more prevalent when the brakes are new or have recently been relined.  

In all cases, we recommend that you continue to clean your tires with a mild soap and water. 

If the problem persists, then you would need to present the vehicle to an authorized tire dealer for inspection and have the dealer call us while you are there.

We hope that this issue has been resolved or addressed to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please call us at 866-866-6605 (toll-free) between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday, or between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. on Saturday

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing BFGoodrich. 

Doug

I received the same response from them. They won’t own up to the problem. I have a pair of those defective tires and they do not  clean up white. I’m going to get Cooper Cobra tires for mine.

You know it is a shame that BF Goodrich is taking this attitude.  I purchased BF Goodrich TA Radials back in 2001 and was very satisfied with them but again, that was back in 2001.  a few years ago I got to thinking that I was riding on borrowed time.... or should I say I was possibly riding on dry rotted tires and after all of these years I was risking a blow out and losing my car and possibly my life and anyone riding with me.  

People who know me here I am a bit of an originality person so I decided I wanted to go with a 3/4 inch white wall because the Monte just didn't come with the raised white letter tires.  I bought a set of tires with a 3/4 inch white wall just prior to heading to Carlisle for an Eastern Meet.  I got the tires just a day prior to leaving for the meet.  When I got to Carlisle and got out of the car a member came up to me and said "I thought you just bought new tires, what happened to them.  On the drive over to Carlisle the white walls on all 4 tires had turned brown while the spare was still the normal white.  I tried to clean them up with "Bleachwhite" with no help.  I called the guy I bought them from and he ordered 5 new tires from a different vendor which I have not had any issues with.  

This browning of the white letters or the white wall tires is a definite flaw in the process of making the tires and this browning will not clean off.  I feel it is wrong for BG Goodrich to take this attitude because they have made and sold these tires for so many classic car people prior to this change in manufacturing and their attitude toward it just doesn't seem right.

rob

• Like 2

My monte has had BFG's since I owned it in 1989. I always liked the way they looked better than anything around even the Coopers. I had that same issue with the discoloration after buying a new set of  BFG's 4 years ago. Like you guys said they knew about the issue but nothing was done,. I ended up getting coopers last year.  Funny thing is the Coopers seem to actually ride a bit better. Maybe thats its in my head , but the Coopers haven't discolored    😀 

I’ve heard others say the Coopers ride better. I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger on a set of Coopers. Always liked the TA’s, but the last set I bought were brown from day one. I guess it will be Coopers soon.

Hey guys. 

I have heard that if the tires get stacked (white wall touching rubber) that it can cause compounds to leach into the whitewall causing them to discolor.

Don't know how much truth there is to that.  Here is a great site for custom tires White Wall Tires & Custom Vintage Tires - Diamond Back Classic Tires : (dbtires.com)

They have a great size conversion chart there.

I built tires for 4 years so I have some experience on this subject. In my opinion Michelin (who owns the BF Goodrich brand) is skipping the part in the manufacturing process where a barrier is installed between the white and black rubber therefore the oils from the black rubber are leaching into the white lettering. Literally everyone else can still build a white letter tire but not BF Goodrich anymore it seems. I went round and round with them on 3 sets of these tires a couple of years ago until I finally gave up and sold them for about a 500 dollar loss. I'll never purchase their Mexican made garbage ever again.

• Like 2