454 engine - suffix stamped block code CFS

knucklehead

On the engine block where the engine vin # is stamped. I can read CFS 109204. I can not find that suffix anywhere in of my research for chevy big blocks identification. So where in it’s past, someone put a 350 in my Monte 454SS. I am going back to 454 and I have found this motor, I can not get under it right now to find casting and it has an edelbrock intake, so can not get any info off there. I can clearly see and read the CFS 10924 stamping, can anyone help with the suffix ID of this motor, the CFS?

Don't see any CF's let alone CFS for a big block. Can you get the casting number off the back of the engine, below the distributor before the trans.?

2 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

Hey Butch, just to be clear, this is a 454 engine and you don't know what vehicle or year it came from?

It is a 454, it is presently in a 1985 Chev Dually, the present owner bought it and drove it to where it sits now, he said the past owner told him that it is not the original motor. It has been sitting for a looong time. The CFS 109204 is clear as a bell, stamped into the front on head mounting lip. I am thinking 70’s motor???? Thanks

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Don't see any CF's let alone CFS for a big block. Can you get the casting number off the back of the engine, below the distributor before the trans.?

it is still in the truck, has a high rise eldenbrock and I can not get behind or under. Thanks

Just now, knucklehead said:

it is still in the truck, has a high rise eldenbrock and I can not get behind or under. Thanks

Yes I have scratched my brains try to find the elusive CFS

10 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I can’t find CFS on any list. Could it be CPS with the right side of the P missing or shallow?

I was hoping that it was a CPS, but I went back to it today to double check it. It is a CFS stamp, i can clearly see it. I have found looking in the Lime Book...if stamped CE...that means it was a replacement motor for the original that was under warranty

If CPS or CRS they decode to LS-6. 454 450hp. Very doubtful, but possible. Let's see.....

Warranty replacements had CE and that's all. No 3rd letter.

Are you sure it's a factory stamp? Take a pic? 

You do not need to get under the truck to see the block casting number. If you look at the top of the block between the brake booster and the distributor you will find the raised casting number.image.jpeg.e18d1ed237dcee6887c44655b0610068.jpegBlock Casting By Year

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That looks to crisp of a stamping. Too perfect and the 9 andthe 2 don't look like the gm style stamps.  Obviously I can be wrong, that's my opinion though. What about the block casting number and date code? 

10 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

That looks to crisp of a stamping. Too perfect and the 9 andthe 2 don't look like the gm style stamps.  Obviously I can be wrong, that's my opinion though. What about the block casting number and date code? 

That is not a factory stamp.

Thanks all, I believe that might well be probably correct about the block stamp, the motor has been built in the past, thus the canary yellow paint scheme. I never knew that was done, (restamp) quite possible, as you mentioned, was re-stamped at that time maybe? Is that something that is or has been done by machine shops? Wow I had read truck motors had no VIN matching. But not any thing about re-stamping. 

Any hoots... this is the motor which will go into my 2nd 71 SS. Someone at sometime in the past removed the matching 454 and replaced it with 350, the 350 is locked up. So out with it and back to what is suppose to be under the bonnet/hood...454. Oh yes and forgot to mention block casting is 14015445, I believe if I remember that is 1975-90 - car or truck. And this CFS coded 454 came out of truck but is not believed to be original to that truck either.

• Like 1

You are correct about the years GM produced the 445 block. It was made as a two bolt main or four bolt main bearing block. It was available as a bare case over the counter and it was used by GM to assemble over the counter engines all the way up LS6 and LS7 engines. I think it was used in some trucks, such as the first years of the 454SS pickup trucks before GM changed to the MkV block. It's considered a very stout block.

I have this block in the four bolt main version. If yours is a four bolt main block, it'll have 3/4" and 1/2" pipe plugs above the oil filter boss.

The yellow color of your block reminds me of the original color of the very first early run of small block engines in 1955. The color was called "chartreuse".

chartreuse 1955 early chevy small block yellow.jpg