LS3 into 71 Monte

ejw71

An old LS3 402.....just kidding and showing my age. Your going to have to start with engine mounts and headers. There are lost of company's out there that sell kits to do the install. It all depends on how you want to do it and hp of engine

13 hours ago, 714024SPEED said:

An old LS3 402.....just kidding and showing my age. Your going to have to start with engine mounts and headers. There are lost of company's out there that sell kits to do the install. It all depends on how you want to do it and hp of engine

LOL! I must be showing my age too. 402 was my first thought when I saw this.

• Like 1

What are the full plans for this? Stick with the LS3 EFI or go with carbureted? Transmission choice? Here's what I needed to fit a LM7/4L60E combo:

Engine/transmission (junkyard engine, rebuilt/upgraded transmission)

Engine mounts (Monte Carlo is backwards compared to Chevelle, so packaged kits for a Chevelle require modification)

Oil pan

Fuel lines and fittings (modified stock hard lines to AN flares and changed the outlet to the firewall instead of the crossmember)

Radiator (optional, mine was shot)

Fuel tank with in-tank fuel pump

Upgraded drive shaft

Headers (I used Speed Engineering, you may be able to find manifolds that fit)

PCM reflash

Modified EFI wiring harness with add-on fuse/relay box.

Transmission cooler lines

Air intake filter and tubing

There are things missing, but even a prepackaged kit is going to have you doing some work. Read up in this section, and use this site as a resource: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

Of course if you're going carbureted half of the stuff on my list isn't needed, but you'll need other items for things like ignition.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:59 AM, sbarnette said:

LOL! I must be showing my age too. 402 was my first thought when I saw this.

Just occurred to me, I have two LS3’s. A 402 in the 71 Monte and a 6.2L in the SS sedan.

D550AAD9-AD8C-476D-9B7E-DF313DFE307A.jpeg

FCAE0276-37F1-49DB-B815-772A0E318967.jpeg