Won't go into 3rd gear after motor swap

mikeringland

Hey guys,

So I swapped out the 350 in my 72 for a 454. It runs great, but...it's not shifting into third gear. It has a TH350, worked perfectly fine before. I have a suspicion its the transmission kick down cable. I attached a photo of it installed. It is the one from when the 350 was in there. It appears to be long enough, but, should have I replaced it with the longer one? The transmission itself seems fine. The hard vacuum line from the trans is connected to the vacuum port on the top of the intake. What do you guys think?

Mike 

20210312_163208.jpg

The cable where it attaches to your transmission may be the culprit depending on the Bracket on the tranny.  There is a difference between the 350 and 454BB bracket.  I modified my 350 bracket to work with 402 BB when I upgraded to the BB.  Just a thought......................

Doug

The cable has NOTHING to do with the transmission shifting into 3rd gear. You can disconnect it and drive years without issues and it will still shift into all gears. 

The cable is for the "kick down/passing gear" mode. 

Check to make sure you have vacuum going to the modulator and that it is sufficient. Start there. 

It sounds like there are two different cables being talked about above. One is the th350 detent cable and the other is the console cable. Does the car have a console? Am I mistaken?

Mike

The other cable is for a 700r4 or 200r4. Those overdrive transmissions need the tv cable to be adjusted correctly or the trans will internally burn up. Cook the clutches. Tv- throttle valve. It controls the shifting of the trans. This is not the case with the th350. 

If it was a vacuum issue you wouldn't have a 1 to 2 upshift either would you. I know mine didnt when the vacuum hose cracked. I had to manually shift it to get to upshift. Possibly the cable may need to be moved if the cable is pulled slightly maybe it thinks it's under load. Not sure just throwing that out there.

There is an adjustment that can be made to the cable installed length. It is made at the plastic connector at the carburetor bracket. I don't remember how it's done...a simple push on a tab while holding the throttle fully open, I believe.

And FYI, the trans will shift through all gears even without the vacuum modulator hooked up. In that situation, the modulator sees zero vacuum....just as it would if the engine was at full throttle. The upshifts would then depend on the governor, an probably occur at around 5000 rpm. You would have to have a long stretch of road to get it into 3rd...

The kickdown cable might be too tight and the trans is trying to step back a gear, even at part throttle. (again, the governor will force an upshift if engine revs get too high). Does your 1-2 shift seem to happen at a normal time? Or is it hanging on to first gear for a long time?

It was the kickdown cable. Due to the location of the bracket on the 454, the cable is under a load when it is simply connected to the carburetor. I disconnected it and it shifts perfectly fine. Basically when I was accelerating, the transmission was trying to downshift, rather than upshift since the cable had tension on it already. 

I just have to determine how to change the slack on it now to be able to reconnect it.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Mike 

• Like 1