Air leveling compressor yellow cap

1Bad454

The tanks came either gold cadmium plated, like the brake booster, or black phosphate. I've bought some that were painted, but only because someone had cleaned them up years ago and painted them. When I removed the tank, I could see which of the 2 original finishes it had inside the tank. 

I read in these forums years ago that the cars came from the factory with gold, and over-the-counter replacements were black phospate, but I don't know how true that is. A friend of mine has a 53k mile survivor '70 SS454 and his tank is gold. I know the '70 SS454 in Kentucky that just sold had an original gold tank. I've seen others the same way, but I have no idea if a Monte ever came from the factory with a black tank, but maybe they did. 

Dan

15 minutes ago, overdrive said:

The tanks came either gold cadmium plated, like the brake booster, or black phosphate. I've bought some that were painted, but only because someone had cleaned them up years ago and painted them. When I removed the tank, I could see which of the 2 original finishes it had inside the tank. 

I read in these forums years ago that the cars came from the factory with gold, and over-the-counter replacements were black phospate, but I don't know how true that is. A friend of mine has a 53k mile survivor '70 SS454 and his tank is gold. I know the '70 SS454 in Kentucky that just sold had an original gold tank. I've seen others the same way, but I have no idea if a Monte ever came from the factory with a black tank, but maybe they did. 

Dan

Thanks for that. I would have sworn that mine was black and that’s how I redid it. But now you’re making me think that I need to pull it apart and check inside the tank. O the never ending battle for authenticity. Lol

16 minutes ago, FrankOC said:

I found one on eBay that I spruced up.  I could only tell it was cadmium when I dissembled it.  I redid it in black.  

95FC08BC-80C2-4089-A46F-73A470EB35AC.jpeg

CABBCCED-C788-42CB-B963-7960E659078C.jpeg

Looks nice.👍 

I just took the tank off mine and there was no evidence of cadmium on the inside of the tank. But for what its worth no evidence of black either. But in all honesty I would really like to know because I think the cadmium would break up all the black in the engine compartment. 

The black one is black phospate coated. I'm changing to the gold iridite coated tank and a new old stock compressor tomorrow. I recently had it recoated in California. I don't believe the gold cadmium plating is still available. My brake booster was recoated the same way, and at the same place a few years ago, so the 2 should match. 

Dan

20200518_174350.jpg

20210211_171728.jpg

• Like 5

Brakeboosters.com did both of mine. The gold one was done recently. It was about $100, including shipping both ways, to and from Missouri.

Dan

including shipping both ways, to and from Missouri.   

Did they move when I had my brake booster  done they were in San Luispco(spelling?) CA