BBC Intermediate Steering Shaft?

Mike Brichta

Looks like it. I just wanna say thanks.My shaft was installed on the car. But I took it off just for you and broke it down (what a pain in the ars). I hope you’re happy. PS I found the boot broken so it needed to be replaced. I didn’t catch it when I cleaned it all up. So now really thanks 

E9E35160-C686-45ED-AF3B-30961097E587.jpeg

410C0171-1D78-42B4-8D57-8AD84697753B.jpeg

A597F7F1-E4BF-4975-9696-8347981613FE.jpeg

I just read that you can take a Monte shaft and convert it into a Chevelle shaft by collapsing it to about 19 1/16" total length.  Has anyone ever done this?

The posting said that the (2) dimples in the shaft are filled with plastic to absorb play/vibration and once heated the shaft can be collapsed.

Thanks!!
Mike

3 minutes ago, Mike Brichta said:

I just read that you can take a Monte shaft and convert it into a Chevelle shaft by collapsing it to about 19 1/16" total length.  Has anyone ever done this?

The posting said that the (2) dimples in the shaft are filled with plastic to absorb play/vibration and once heated the shaft can be collapsed.

Thanks!!
Mike

Never heard of it but it makes sense. You can actually split the shaft there to replace the boot. Gm could use all the same parts and just change the length. 

54 minutes ago, Mike Brichta said:

Hey Dennis,

So I guess you are saying that I did you a favor, right? Haha. 

So the shaft that I have is for a Monte? And not a Chevelle/El Camino?

Thanks!!

Mike

Yes you did actually. I said thanks 

32 minutes ago, Mike Brichta said:

Hey Dennis,

Let me know where you get the replacement boot.  Obviously I need one also.

Thanks!!
Mike

Goggle 71 Monte Carlo steering shaft boot. One of the first things that pop up is everything you need but the pin for like 15 bucks. I have not yet found the pin

Back up the train on that last reply. I was going to order one just for the boot but if you get into the Q&A is says it’s only for a Jeep. May work but I’m not going to chance it. Inline tube sells the boot. 

Yes, these shafts do "collapse". They're designed to in case of a frontal accident so the steering wheel doesn't knock your block off (like Corvairs did). They're filled with a plastic like what's used in driveshaft U-joints without snap rings.

I suppose if you heat them just enough, a shorter Chevelle shaft can be made longer.

I looked at both a Monte and Chevelle shaft.  The Chevelle one is about 2-3" shorter.  I'm going to pull both of them apart and get the "exact" lengths of both.

I also checked out the inside of the shaft and you can definitely just push or pull them to whatever length you want.  The Chevelle one is just pushed in further then the Monte one, which makes sense to me.

Thanks!!
Mike

On 3/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, Mike Brichta said:

I looked at both a Monte and Chevelle shaft.  The Chevelle one is about 2-3" shorter.  I'm going to pull both of them apart and get the "exact" lengths of both.

I also checked out the inside of the shaft and you can definitely just push or pull them to whatever length you want.  The Chevelle one is just pushed in further then the Monte one, which makes sense to me.

Thanks!!
Mike

Fun fact, 70-72 455 powered Buick A bodies also had the two piece shaft, 

127601974_10221713317576243_793540600619738694_n (1).jpg

Ok.  I just wanted to finish off this discussion in case the info that I discovered can be used by someone else on the site.

The length of the intermediate shafts (shaft only, no flange attached) is:

Chevelle/El Camino: 17 3/8" inches (19 1/16" with flange attached)
Monte Carlo: 20 7/8" inches

If you want to change the overall length of the intermediate shaft, it can be accomplished as follows:

- heat up the dimples in the shaft (they are plastic)
- since this is a 2 piece shaft (one goes into the other) with some persuasion the length can be shortened or lengthened

In my case, I was able to take a big block Monte intermediate shaft and shorten it so I can use it for my big block El Camino project.

Hope that helps someone out in the future.

Thanks!!
Mike

A side thought. Those shafts are supposed to collapse in the event of a collision is my understanding. Probably not a huge deal, but wondering if the longer M/C shaft will bottom out quicker now, or is the shaft length the same, just not inserted as deep in the chevelle unit. 

• Like 1

So we can hit things at a faster rate of speed than a Chevelle/ElCo and still be safer, lol!

7 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Just remember safety first. 

That used to be one of DuPont's catch phrases.