LS2 into 71 Monte

ejw71

Have ordered motor mount adapters and will use Turbo 350 trans. Will I have to modify oil pan to fit and notch frame for A/C compressor? Tks, Ed

PLEASE give us more information. Did you read the replies in your LS3 thread? GM put the LS2 into more than half a dozen different vehicles, which one was your engine out of? I don't think any stock LS2 pans will fit right, the Holley pans and the stock F-body LS1 pan should fit great in a Monte Carlo.

Make sure you get the right adapter to mate the LS2 to a TH350, you need to space the flex plate out for the torque converter.

https://www.ictbillet.com/swap-guide/ls-swap-guide.html

You'll want to confirm what the engine is from for the wiring side of things, as there wasn't a Camaro in 2005 and no Camaro had an LS2.

The oil pan information was posted above, and I'm pretty sure the crossmember will need to be notched if you want to run a low A/C compressor. I'm running truck accessories, which are the farthest away from the engine, and it looks like I'd still need to notch the crossmember to even run a small Sanden SD7. You could run a compressor high on the passenger's side with no issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just purchased a 70 monte no motor or trans.  I would like to install a LS motor/trans.  Would like to know which would be the best donor vehicle regarding front accessories clearing the front cross member, I will be running ac.  Who makes the relocation brackets to relocate the ac compressor?  thanks.

With the crossmember sitting farther forward than on a Chevelle, I would recommend truck accessories.

Relocation brackets can be found from Holley, Dirty Dingo, ICT Billet, Alan Grove Components, and quite a few others. Some of it depends on which compressor you want to run and where you want to run it.

• 1 month later...

Ended up purchasing an eng/trans combo out of a 2006 gto. I am going to purchase the holley oil pan 302-2, I will also replace the oil pump, timing chain, water pump, front and rear engine seals, and sensors, before I install the eng., is there anything I am missing for this part of the project?

On 6/12/2021 at 11:09 AM, fast frank said:

Ended up purchasing an eng/trans combo out of a 2006 gto. I am going to purchase the holley oil pan 302-2, I will also replace the oil pump, timing chain, water pump, front and rear engine seals, and sensors, before I install the eng., is there anything I am missing for this part of the project?

The coolest thing about an LS swap is money recovery. You can get more $ out of that pan, dipstick, pickup, and windage tray than you paid for that Holley. It is required for a first gen Nova swap. Pretty sure the only GM LS swap that there is no aftermarket pan for. 

• 2 weeks later...