adding power locks

thinking of adding power locks to my 70 so that I can have keyless entry as part of an alarm system. Does anyone know what years used the same switches and selinoids? thought I would hit the scrap yards first. I have seen retro kits on line, some look a little hookey. ALso, are the door panels marked from behind in anyway as far as location? I have seen pictures with them everywhere. All feedback welcome.

thanks 

I have a factory power lock harness if you need it. I got it from a member here, but didn't end up using it.  That being said, I ended up using one of the after market lock kits & integrated it with the alarm system.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Grant,

Sorry for the slow reply regarding factory power locks.  I have gone two different routes on my '70s.  On my 4-speed car, I first installed a factory power door lock setup taken out of a '72 (square corner door switches) which entails drilling mounting holes in the door, cutting the switch openings in the door panels and cutting a pass-through hole in the door and front cowling if you don't already have a wire path there.  A couple years later I added a keyless entry system which interfaced directly to the factory system wiring under the dash.

On my SS (which also wasn't built with factory power door locks), I skipped the installation of a factory system and installed a keyless entry system which came with the door actuators but no door switches. That install was relatively easier with no cutting of the door panels for manual switches.  Both times I used the Remote Keyless Entry System from Klassic Keyless (Model No. GMA7072DR2).  I also included the power trunk release with manual override button in both kits.

Since I only used the remote key fob to lock/unlock the doors and trunk, I never use the door switches on the 4-speed car and never missed them on the SS either.  Unless you just want to have that factory option on your restored Monte and since you plan to go keyless entry anyway, I suggest you don't need to go through the hassle of finding and installing a factory power door lock system - just go keyless from the beginning. No need to have those large, heavy factory solenoids in your doors when much smaller and lighter modern actuators will do the job just as well.

I'm sure there are many choices of keyless entry systems on the market, but I would encourage you to at least check out the Klassic Keyless offerings at www.KlassicKeyless.com.  Tom Pelchat is the owner and customizes his kits for specific models and years so they will fit and work properly.  He uses top quality components, assembles and labels them professionally and includes extensive installation instructions with color photos.  I have also installed his power seat back lock system in both 70s and have never had a problem or issue with any of his kits.  Photos of the keyless entry kit for the SS are shown below. Good luck.

P5115413.JPG

P5115417.JPG

• Like 1

I also like Dennis installed the Keyless Entry system on my 72. I had to adjust the holes slightly on the brackets at the door latches. I let Tom know so he checked it out and saw what I was talking about and he adjusted his brackets so they now fit perfectly. Great product and fantastic company to deal with.

• Like 1

Great, thanks. I was at a wreckers yesterday to remove fibre optics to repair the vigilite option and went through the process of removing the factory power locks from one door only to discover that the other door could not be opened. So at that point I decided to go with after market. This info helped confirm the choice. 

Do either of you guys that put the Klassic locks on still have the instruction sheets? I got an aftermarket kit I installed in my 72 that was more of a universal kit, but I'd be interested to see how that kit mounted the actuators. If you could somehow scan and send them, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Leghome said:

I just went thru several drawers of Monte related stuff and did not find any installation instructions

Thanks for looking Larry.

13 hours ago, jft69z said:

Do either of you guys that put the Klassic locks on still have the instruction sheets? I got an aftermarket kit I installed in my 72 that was more of a universal kit, but I'd be interested to see how that kit mounted the actuators. If you could somehow scan and send them, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Hey, Joe,

The kit with the actuators is the one I installed in my SS when I had it up in MN.   I'm pretty sure I can find that box (I seldom throw anything away) but I don't get back up there until the 17th.  Feel free to jog my memory to look for it if I don't remember.

The kit I installed in my '70 here in Florida interfaced directly to my factory locks and did not come with new actuators.  I'm pretty sure the instructions were specific to that kit but I'll check here, also.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MCfan said:

Hey, Joe,

The kit with the actuators is the one I installed in my SS when I had it up in MN.   I'm pretty sure I can find that box (I seldom throw anything away) but I don't get back up there until the 17th.  Feel free to jog my memory to look for it if I don't remember.

The kit I installed in my '70 here in Florida interfaced directly to my factory locks and did not come with new actuators.  I'm pretty sure the instructions were specific to that kit but I'll check here, also.

Great, Thanks Dennis, no hurry at all. I'm just curious how the Klassic Keyless mounted their actuators and such.