Trailering drive train question

Searsman

I plan on trailering 1971 454 th400  MC to eastern meet in Bristol . If I use a car dolly instead of An closed trailer, do I need to disconnect drive shaft ?.. it’s about 200 + miles one way from my location.. Or is there something else I can do.. don’t want to pull the car backwards on a dolly, thanks .. Ron T...

I personally wouldn't use the car dolly. Rent a u-haul trailer at least. With the way people drive now a days I would want at least a trailer of some sorts to try and protect my investment or I would just drive it there. My .02

• Like 4

I aggree I would avoid the dolly. I drive mine almost 300 miles one way to Carlisle only had one minor problem once. When I was thinking about Bristol I thought about renting a trailer but they are pretty expensive for almost a week, but since they changed the date I cant make it. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Thought about checking the uhaul prices, sounds like a good idea. monte all  metal probably too heavy for a dolly anyway.. more dangerous... but I’ll get it there one way or another... 

44 minutes ago, Searsman said:

Thought about checking the uhaul prices, sounds like a good idea. monte all  metal probably too heavy for a dolly anyway.. more dangerous... but I’ll get it there one way or another... 

If I can make we will be driving our 72 from 35 mi NE of INDY

A little confused here, do you have an enclosed trailer ? I'm not a big fan of u-haul but they are pretty much the only game in town. Penske has car trailers but unfortunately here local they will only rent if you also rent a truck with it. If you go the u-haul route I'd at least get another set of ratchet straps, you can pick up 2 at HD or HF for about 20 bucks. Yea sometimes i'm over cautious lol. U-haul uses the over the tire net straps so if your running big tires on the back double check they will fit. 

Yes , I have an enclosed trailer, I pull my harley in it, park the 71 inside. It’s quite a load for my truck. It and the Monte seem to weigh more than the truck cares to haul. Even with the load levelers.. your very observant. I may be adding more springs to truck by then.. just considering all options. The car would make the drive but ..... 

• Like 1

What kind of truck do you tow with? I have a 2010 sierra 1500. I added  air bags /tow bags to the rear suspension and level out the truck when hauling. Works great and I tow an 24ft open trailer and a 24 ft enclosed trailer  with it. Not at the same time. Lolol

• Like 1

2000 Silverado 1500. Load leveling hitch. Worked great. I since have sold the boat combo and have moved to the new house and now pull 18 ft dovetail open trailer. It does fine. 

99684D2D-9A94-4FAD-8142-B8039A1B230D.jpeg

1 minute ago, sbarnette said:

That’s pretty cool. I’ve never seen a trailer that could handle a boat and a jet ski together.

Ya I loved it but never used it. Cool thing is you can float the back of the boat and the two skies will turn out so you could just go out on the skies if that’s what you wanted to do. 

• Like 1

Hey Thomas, it’s a 2014 GMC Sierra, z71. Tow package. 1500 no HD springs on the back. The trailer is 28 ft enclosed with cabinets up in the nose.. have discarded dolly transport from what drive train tech said and others. 

I would purchase the firestone helper air bag kit and tow away! My open trailer has alot of tongue weight and a fully loaded tool box up front and with the helper air bags I tow great! For a 1500 at least. Lol

IMG_20200406_170557.jpg

IMG_20191116_114213.jpg

IMG_20190921_124410.jpg

IMG_20180917_122431.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 3/4 ton Silverado and tow my 7000 pound camper no problem.  Last year went out west with it the mountains in  Colorado were a little rough but made it without any problems. My brother tows his car hauler with his car In it with a f150 and it works ok. Goodluck with it.

• Like 1