AHR Header Back Exhaust System

I spoke to Nick after they reopened after/during the pandemic. Unlike the headers which are Monte specific, the exhaust system is A-body designed not specific to our Monte's. Since my exhaust is fine at the moment I didn't pursue it any further. Maybe someone else here took the plunge. 

I don’t know if this helps your question but when I got the invoice for my Gardner system every line item says chevelle. So I called Gardner to make sure I was getting the correct system and talked to Mr. Eric Gardner himself and his words were the Monte and the chevelle use the exact same system (as I suspected) . So that may help you. Take it for what it’s worth 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

I don’t know if this helps your question but when I got the invoice for my Gardner system every line item says chevelle. So I called Gardner to make sure I was getting the correct system and talked to Mr. Eric Gardner himself and his words were the Monte and the chevelle use the exact same system (as I suspected) . So that may help you. Take it for what it’s worth 

Correct, to my understanding our chassis is identical to the Chevelle. How much was your Gardner exhaust? Was it as much as ARH which is over 1,800.00?

All though I know the ARH exhaust system would fit like a glove I have a hard time thinking to pay that much money. I'm looking at Pypes but am not sure of the fitment.. I'd like to assemble it myself without getting a muffler shop involved. I've also been eyeing the Flowmaster system which I hear fits good but it has an H pipe (no X).

1 hour ago, 1Bad454 said:

Correct, to my understanding our chassis is identical to the Chevelle. How much was your Gardner exhaust? Was it as much as ARH which is over 1,800.00?

All though I know the ARH exhaust system would fit like a glove I have a hard time thinking to pay that much money. I'm looking at Pypes but am not sure of the fitment.. I'd like to assemble it myself without getting a muffler shop involved. I've also been eyeing the Flowmaster system which I hear fits good but it has an H pipe (no X).

My Gardner system was 1528 inc shipping but keep in mind that I still have the factory exhaust manifolds. I’m sure that they can do a header system but you’re going to have to call them. That was complete including concourse correct hangers flanges clamps etc.It is cheaper to go with there just correct kit and not concourse kit and I got the chrome tips also (not numbered)

• Like 1

If you are going to do it yourself, I suggest purchasing mufflers of your choice, flowmaster tailpipes in the size you want and a universal x pipe kit. You will only need a few short pieces of pipe to connect everything possibly. 

Have done this with a few cars and worked flawlessly. 

2 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

If you are going to do it yourself, I suggest purchasing mufflers of your choice, flowmaster tailpipes in the size you want and a universal x pipe kit. You will only need a few short pieces of pipe to connect everything possibly. 

Have done this with a few cars and worked flawlessly. 

It looks like the flowmaster kit's tail pipes curve down a little on the end. How does that look? I'd like my tail pipes to be straight out like the factory with the oval tips. 

55 minutes ago, 1Bad454 said:

It looks like the flowmaster kit's tail pipes curve down a little on the end. How does that look? I'd like my tail pipes to be straight out like the factory with the oval tips. 

I got the flowmaster kit that has the option for both the straight & bent down tail pipes. I personally like the pipes tucked up high with just the tips coming out the back. The straight pipes allow for the other look as well though and would accommodate the chrome tips.

20201013_084139.jpg

20201013_084130.jpg

20201013_084300.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

That looks super clean tucked up. 😎

I totally dig that style. 

Thanks,  😁.

Here's a couple I took this morning. (still need to re-install the 3 pieces of trim, obviously. That'll happen in a few more days). If the car was a SS, maybe I'd go with the chrome tips, but being it's a 72 Custom, it saves me having to make that decision.

20210328_054750.jpg

20210328_054743.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DragCat said:

that being said I left "factory stock" awhile ago 🤣

Me too, the factory parts are in storage though. That'll be the next owners problem to deal with, I'll be dead.⚰️☠️

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Me too, the factory parts are in storage though. That'll be the next owners problem to deal with, I'll be dead.⚰️☠️

Car looks great. The next owner is going to love having that problem. I know I would. And no I don’t wish you dead. Throw some pics of the garage progress on your thread please 

I used the ARH headers and a Magnaflow A-body stainless exhaust system. I installed it myself, but with modifications. The X pipe was positioned for a TH350, so I had to move it back. I also trimmed the ends in select places to get the tailpipes up high, where they belong, and I tig welded the joints that I didn't want band clamps on, with stainless rod. A muffler shop will likely not have stainless wire, but the I don't believe the welds on the mufflers and the X pipe came from Magnaflow with stainless welds, anyway. 

Dan 

20160310_172222.jpg

20170623_162035.jpg

20160629_184539.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Car looks great. The next owner is going to love having that problem. I know I would. And no I don’t wish you dead. Throw some pics of the garage progress on your thread please 

LOL, Thanks Dennis. If you wish me dead, it'll save me a lot of work in the coming year, that's for sure. No progress yet on bldg, except it's dug out and stone down. Builder wants to meet tonight after I get out of work, so I imagine I'll know more in about 10 hours.

18 minutes ago, overdrive said:

I used the ARH headers and a Magnaflow A-body stainless exhaust system. I installed it myself, but with modifications. The X pipe was positioned for a TH350, so I had to move it back. I also trimmed the ends in select places to get the tailpipes up high, where they belong, and I tig welded the joints that I didn't want band clamps on, with stainless rod. A muffler shop will likely not have stainless wire, but the I don't believe the welds on the mufflers and the X pipe came from Magnaflow with stainless welds, anyway. 

Dan 

Looks real nice Dan!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jft69z said:

LOL, Thanks Dennis. If you wish me dead, it'll save me a lot of work in the coming year, that's for sure. No progress yet on bldg, except it's dug out and stone down. Builder wants to meet tonight after I get out of work, so I imagine I'll know more in about 10 hours.

Looks real nice Dan!

I think a garage project like that is interesting and I think others will also. Because most of us need and want to do something like that. You should start a thread on that 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I think a garage project like that is interesting and I think others will also. Because most of us need and want to do something like that. You should start a thread on that 

I could I guess. Pretty much the builder is going to put up the bldg, the concrete guy is going to do his thing, then I'll be doing the wiring for elect, cameras, alarm, plus gas line for heater, etc. Newest idea is to put a hot tub back there in the dead space behind the shed, so I'm researching that now. At least I'll run conduit to that spot, just in case. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I could I guess. Pretty much the builder is going to put up the bldg, the concrete guy is going to do his thing, then I'll be doing the wiring for elect, cameras, alarm, plus gas line for heater, etc. Newest idea is to put a hot tub back there in the dead space behind the shed, so I'm researching that now. At least I'll run conduit to that spot, just in case. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

IMHO. Hot tubs are good for the first year or two and then they go for sale on Craigslist. I think I’m going to turn mine into a frog pond. lol 

7E14D90F-0EF3-44FB-9B97-B50ADA5B1C1B.jpeg

• Haha 3

No worries guys. Good stuff. That hot tub looks amazing. Especially with all the trees around. Joe I'd be interested in seeing your garage project too. That would be a cool thread to  start.  I'm in a housing tract so I'm pretty limited space wise as to what I can do.. And my wife doesn't want to move....  

Ok so now we're adding a hot tub ? You're killing me here 🤣 What else, fire pit, BBQ pavilion ? yea your going to need a new thread for this so we can all keep up.

I had a hot tub once, the X took it with her when she left, good riddance to both, haven't missed either 😮

Since your running conduit I guess your sorta in the same arena as building exhaust,  yea its a stretch 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, overdrive said:

Dan 

20160310_172222.jpg

20170623_162035.jpg

20160629_184539.jpg

Wow.. Nice work! I'm drooling. Did you have to buy any additional pipe for the modifications?

30 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Ok so now we're adding a hot tub ? You're killing me here 🤣 What else, fire pit, BBQ pavilion ? yea your going to need a new thread for this so we can all keep up.

I had a hot tub once, the X took it with her when she left, good riddance to both, haven't missed either 😮

Since your running conduit I guess your sorta in the same arena as building exhaust,  yea its a stretch 

LOL, that's great stuff Mark, you can always moonlight at the comedy clubs 🤣.

Nothing else planned so far. That back corner is dead anyways, dug up the grass and plan to put stone. I'm sure as hell not cutting grass in a 15x15 foot spot. Got the bright idea to put a hot tub there on one of my sleepless nights. My dad used to tell me to I need to sleep more, it would be a lot less work for us when I first bought the house/garage I'm at now, lol.

One of my co-workers said a TV is pretty nice to have out there at his hot tub though....hmmmm.....more conduit.

• Haha 1

The only additional parts I bought, if I remember correctly, was the stainless adapter from the collector to the head pipes, and the larger clamps needed there, and 2 stainless clamps for the tailpipe hangers. I bought them on ebay, but I had to take the adapters to a muffler shop and have them opened up just enough to slide over the collectors. The only ones I could find were the same size as the collectors. I made my own tailpipe hangers at the rear of the car out of stainless flat bar stock. 

20210328_104343.jpg

20210328_104300.jpg

• Like 2

I like the way you did the hangers, looks very clean. I used lap joint band clamps off the collectors to the exhaust, surprisingly the local Napa had them in stock. They also are made in a reducer style in case your going to different size pipes.