Another closes in Michigan

Mikstudie

2 minutes ago, Jared Richey said:

"Current circumstances don't let us Operate the track safely "

What?

Thats what I was thinking, it should have said " we spent all the profits on stupid crap"

Yea its a sad state of affairs, but becoming a frequent issue for various reasons. 

Englishtown in NJ shut down in 2018, that track was probably around before I was born, maybe not by a year or two 🤣 My old local track (Hollywood Fl) was shut down in 1992 because they built condos/homes on the property adjacent to the track and the new residents sat in city council meetings and complained about the noise. Go figure. 

There is a current conversation (track to remain nameless) where residents are complaining about the noise and asking the track to require mufflers on the cars. And some racers are fighting it, well learn from history people, race with mufflers or loose the track all together. 

So after my walk down memory lane heres my current tirade. My current local track, Palm Beach, which is also the home office location of the IHRA can't seem to find their butt with both hands. Our last race weekend was a double points race day, 2 points races in the same day. Pretty good turnout/car count and not a concession stand open. Not that I would eat the food but still, really? On T&T nights there are so many street cars you may get 3 passes in a real race car (slicks or drag radials) So much so they have 1 night a month for T&T slicks/drag radials only. Hello people, marketing opportunity to get the street racers there on race days. On the DONK race nights they have to close the gates, max capacity cars/spectators.......marketing.

But on the other hand you see the million dollar weekend races, third place walks away with 250k, and others with class racers going for as little as 20K. Racers are driving from everywhere for those purses.

So now i'll get off my soapbox, obviously a hot spot for me 🤣 I can't intelligently comment on Milans closing or the public reason but I know there are a ton of racers across the country wanting to race. 

• Like 2

Yes same thing happened here on Long Island. Owners make more money selling to developers of houses and condos.

I heard from a buddy of mine in Arizona that they shut his down also. Its all about the money!!!

I read they posted a 2021 schedule back in Feb, but also that they had a court hearing right before the closed announcement was posted. Don't know the particulars. 

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

I read they posted a 2021 schedule back in Feb, but also that they had a court hearing right before the closed announcement was posted. Don't know the particulars. 

Yes it was a last minute thing. Probably a bankruptcy hearing.  

When I lived in Michigan, That was my stomping ground for drag racing.  By best friend raced his suzuki motorcycle there in the '90's( Tim Sams) . Remember when they did the factory stock racing? My boss brought his '69 427 corvette and plowed through the competition to win it. Now he's in F.A.S.T. with it and racing 1000 hp hemi's. Sad to see that track go....

Edited by 420ponies
Added content