Cleaning 50 year old 402

I bought my car in 73 [it's a 72].........I washed the engine bay down over the years and it's not too bad, but I want to try to get it looking new again....it has given me 165 k miles and still running like new.......so it deserves to look like new🤗 .........

I would like to know if there are any new products on the market that I can try??.... I would think that a good power washer and some elbow grease would work the best, but I'm an old timer now and the elbows aren't greased the way they used to be 😉  ...... Thanks for any suggestions...

Good old fashion Gunk Foaming Dereaser and a power wash should do the trick... Before and after pics would be great...

https://www.google.com/search?q=gunk+foaming+degreaser&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS885US885&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.69i59i450l8.17392j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I use a hose and Simple Green with a combination of brushes. I have some metal brushes as well as plastic brushes. I always keep old tooth brushes too to access those hard to reach areas. I just cleaned and painted my 70 engine in the car. The engine has never been out of the car. 1/2 day of disassembly, a couple days of cleaning, a few hours of masking and about 20 minutes of painting... and a very sore back!

89F0E12A-C3EA-48EF-85B8-5146F6AFE535.jpeg

Here’s a photo during cleaning. I have an old set of valve covers I use during cleaning and painting. I paint the valve covers separately.

27FA594A-121F-42E5-B686-72B87EF1A1FD.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks a lot.... good old gunk,  I'll give it a try..........my back won't take the toothbrush treatment...but I will probably take the valve covers off......they have only bin off once in 160 k......I snapped a push rod guide ear .......replace guide and push rod and lifter..... I enjoy working on it again.....it sat for 20 years......

• Like 1

Both of your cars look amazing!!!

I never used simple green but i have used spray nine. The spray nine is very strong and you have to water it down alot. However i do use it, its cleans really good, but make sure you rinse well. It took the finish off my gutters (my fault) did not rinse enough.

• Like 1

Look on YouTube. There's a kid doing engine cleaning. Learning alot about how to clean/ dress up the engine bay. They are like20 minutes long. He uses lots of different brushes. Engine and compartment looks like New!!post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg