More "storage" space

As a few of you requested, here are some pics of the new storage bin. Started with the site work to clear the space for the 36' x 48' building. Picking up parts along the way because there's shortages on everything apparently, along with crazy price hikes too. Got about 600' of conduit delivered recently & good thing, the price went up about $3 a 10' length in the span of 1 week. 

Couple of weeks ago:

20210313_120449.jpg

Dug out & #2 stone laid down, approx 6":

Screenshot_20210317-113759.jpg

Starting to hoard stuff, 2" conduit for power, signal (alarm, cameras, etc) and a spare. Another set to tie in existing shop as well. Some 1" gas line & risers for the heater hiding  behind there as well:

20210329_055051.jpg

Looks like a perfect place for a hot tub! I'm certainly not planting grass there, so....

20210329_184032.jpg

Builder dropped off some equipment last week:

20210404_130600.jpg

• Like 1

I was at work today but kept tabs on the progress with the cameras. They got a lot done today, wish I worked as fast as these guys.

20210331_083958.jpg

Screenshot_20210405-084714.jpg

Screenshot_20210405-091738.jpg

Screenshot_20210405-115328.jpg

Screenshot_20210405-105416.jpg

Roof trusses getting delivered:

20210405_132627.jpg

20210405_145705.jpg

That's it for today:

20210405_161047.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good 👍 I figured prices would be climbing, the back order and out of stock stuff would worry me the most. Keep up withtht updates so others can live vicariously through your build 🤣

• Like 1

Looking great. The price of wood has gone up 35 percent and of course anything Constructon will follow that. I guess with a year off the manufactures are trying to make all their profits back in one season. With all paper products expect a massive price jump(wood). Look at toilet paper!!!!!  

They're blaming the toilet paper on the Suez Canal boat mishap I heard too, crazy times. It's doubtful prices will ever drop significantly either. The world is going crazy.

On a good note, the builders didn't waste any time today either. Tied most of the posts together & got half of the roof trusses up too. Side sheeting, roof materials and trim parts arrived today too.

I was going to use some 150 watt 'High Bay' lights from Amazon to light the place, looked real promising. After setting a few of them up in the existing shop as a test, they proved to be somewhat disappointing, despite all the great reviews, not to mention pretty expensive. They'll be going back and getting replaced with a bunch of regular 4 bulb fluorescent fixtures I got from DuPont many, many years ago when I worked there, and stashed in the attic. I rewired them the last few days for the same LED retrofit bulbs I used in the main shop last year (also from Amazon). Painted them up today and will stash them until ready to hang.

20210406_132600.jpg

20210406_104226.jpg

20210406_151056.jpg

20210406_165517.jpg

20210406_165553.jpg

The High Bay lights I had hoped to use:

Capture.JPG

The old lights, rewired for LEDs that will be going in:

20210406_182936.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like its going to be quite a storage space, I wish I had more room. I'm kinda looking for a piece of property them maybe sell my house build a shop with a little apartment in it. My girl would be happy with that too and sell her house too. It's amazing people think there property is gold or I'm just cheep lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Looks like its going to be quite a storage space, I wish I had more room. I'm kinda looking for a piece of property them maybe sell my house build a shop with a little apartment in it. My girl would be happy with that too and sell her house too. It's amazing people think there property is gold or I'm just cheep lol.

That sounds like a great plan actually, plus if your girlfriend is on board, that's half the battle won. Win-win for everyone! The price of everything is going up as was mentioned in the other thread. Sounds like it's not going to get better any time soon, so maybe do it now before prices keep going up, lol

• Like 2

Wow Joe, that is a lot of progress.  I really wish I had room to add a garage in our back yard.  My Monte gets stored in an off location rental garage.  The Model A is stored in our 1 car garage here at the house but even that is cramped to the point I can only work on it one side at a time.  

rob

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Wow Joe, that is a lot of progress.  I really wish I had room to add a garage in our back yard.  My Monte gets stored in an off location rental garage.  The Model A is stored in our 1 car garage here at the house but even that is cramped to the point I can only work on it one side at a time.  

rob

These guys don't fool around, plus the fact they're down a man due to sickness (not covid from what they said), so it's just 2 guys right now.

I've stored one of my other cars at a buddy's place for the winter the last 10 years or so too. At least now I'll be able to keep everything here, plus that'll free up a space for him to give to someone else.

9 hours ago, jft69z said:

That sounds like a great plan actually, plus if your girlfriend is on board, that's half the battle won. Win-win for everyone! The price of everything is going up as was mentioned in the other thread. Sounds like it's not going to get better any time soon, so maybe do it now before prices keep going up, lol

Property prices at least down here are sky high, good for sellers I guess but not when you become the buyer on the other side. I agree, if your girl is on board run fast and buy buy build. 

I laugh at myself when checking prices, i'm now officially old because i'm always saying damn I remember when these were $$$ less. 

Joe its going fast, cant believe only 2 guys. Those machines help alot, for sure.    What lights do you have in the other garage?  It seems plenty bright from your pics. 

I have all fluorescents in mine, very happy but i rebulb every few years.  Also i might take you up on your friends empty garage ????   LOL

Steve if she is good with it why dont you build a bigger apt on top for her, and then you can have a bigger garage below for more toys. 

2 hours ago, willie said:

Joe its going fast, cant believe only 2 guys. Those machines help alot, for sure.    What lights do you have in the other garage?  It seems plenty bright from your pics. 

I have all fluorescents in mine, very happy but i rebulb every few years.  Also i might take you up on your friends empty garage ????   LOL

Just got home for lunch (training week at work, short days) and they already have all the trusses up.

As far as lights, I have the same 4 bulb fluorescent fixtures I got from DuPont years ago in there as well. Last year I converted them all to LEDs. I did a little research and went with the ones listed below from Amazon. Simply cut the old ballasts out, run 120 VAC to the existing lamp holders & done. The difference was like night and day. After seeing how well they worked, I did the basement too. I still need to do the office area in the shop, but that's a job for another time. I get them by the case of 25, so it works out to around $7 a bulb maybe. They were a little cheaper last year (naturally, lol).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F73PSRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have them with clear covers too. I popped the frosted covers off  to compare them both side by side, but were a little too harsh. So, if you order the frosted but decide you want more light, the covers do come off fairly easy.

16 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

“Storage”space looks awesome. They are doing a heck of a job and fast. Ok so my idea behind the two car. Instead of a hot tub how about a heated lap pool. You could put some seats in there with some jets and still get the hot tub effect and make it long enough to get some good laps in. Swimming for retirement 

32 minutes ago, Dtret said:

“Storage”space looks awesome. They are doing a heck of a job and fast. Ok so my idea behind the two car. Instead of a hot tub how about a heated lap pool. You could put some seats in there with some jets and still get the hot tub effect and make it long enough to get some good laps in. Swimming for retirement 

That space is just a shed, about 12x15' maybe. I talked to a lot of guys at work who had hot tubs, picked their brain and found one that pretty much checked all the boxes. My thoughts are to maybe keep the heat off/low in the summer and use it as a mini pool/spa and heat it up in the winter. My g.f. went with me to look at them and she's more excited than I about the thing. Like everything else, due to covid, they're backed up a years worth, but the exact model I chose is scheduled for a truck in September. That'll give me plenty of time to get everything else done hopefully.

As far as a lap pool.....sounds too much like exercise to me, lol.

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

That space is just a shed, about 12x15' maybe. I talked to a lot of guys at work who had hot tubs, picked their brain and found one that pretty much checked all the boxes. My thoughts are to maybe keep the heat off/low in the summer and use it as a mini pool/spa and heat it up in the winter. My g.f. went with me to look at them and she's more excited than I about the thing. Like everything else, due to covid, they're backed up a years worth, but the exact model I chose is scheduled for a truck in September. That'll give me plenty of time to get everything else done hopefully.

As far as a lap pool.....sounds too much like exercise to me, lol.

Ya me too. Someone else can have it. Ok so now I understand. She wants the hot tub you get more toys. Sounds good to me. 

25 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ya me too. Someone else can have it. Ok so now I understand. She wants the hot tub you get more toys. Sounds good to me. 

Nah, I was the one who brought up the hot tub, she had no clue. As far as more toys, she doesn't care what I get, she knows I work hard for everything. Plus.... I told her the story early on about the ex-fiancé that said I should get rid of some of them cars. I still have the Camaro, the ex is long gone.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Nah, I was the one who brought up the hot tub, she had no clue. As far as more toys, she doesn't care what I get, she knows I work hard for everything. Plus.... I told her the story early on about the ex-fiancé that said I should get rid of some of them cars. I still have the Camaro, the ex is long gone.  

Always good to know that you have a keeper. Mine doesn’t care either. It’s a good road to be on. But of course the road getting to this point was a little rough. Lol 😂 

Just now, Dtret said:

Always good to know that you have a keeper. Mine doesn’t care either. It’s a good road to be on. But of course the road getting to this point was a little rough. Lol 😂 

You got that right....kissed a few frogs to finally get a good one.

That's gonna be an absolutely beautiful space!!   and yea  the costs of almost all trade materials is thru the roof!!  for example, as you noted, pvc conduit up over 70%(they blamed shutdowns at the resin plants)   carpenters are sick over the rise in a simple 2x4...    and best of all...if you are planning on pulling copper thru those pipes.. same scenario... but on a happier note ,please keep us in the loop -it will be great and once you're in there- after all "its only money"  and you cant park your monte on a 100 dollar bill...  enjoy!! 

• Like 2