More "storage" space

Thanks Brian much appreciated. Yeah I'm planning on copperĀ šŸ¤‘.

Today, the guys didn't disappoint, got all the roof sheeting installed. Now it's starting to look like a monster, lol. I drove up the street on the way home from work and said 'holy crap', lol.

They delivered the R-38 roof insulation today. I'm off Friday & Saturday & hope to get the ceiling fans, & light outlets wired in before they close it up. It'll be a lot easier (and cooler) than crawling around up there. I plan to put a few lights up there anyways, like I did with the other shop.Ā Makes it easier when the need arises to go up there, though they say don't store stuff up there like I do in the other shop.

20210407_104720.jpg

20210407_142533.jpg

20210407_171900.jpg

20210407_171926.jpg

20210407_172126.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Holy crap that is a monsterĀ :B

Ā 

40 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

I want a monster!!!!! Send one to me please! Lolol

It's odd, because the existing building is actually larger, 40x64. Maybe it's because it takes up the better part of the backyard now, plus seeing it coming up the road furthers that illusion. The neighbors are OK with it though, so that's good.

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

Whereā€™s my daily fix. You realize that I am living vicariously through your thread. Lol šŸ˜‚Ā 

Looks similar to yesterday almost, but they were at it all day.Ā They got the ridge vent on, the roof trim, soffit vents, added the last pole to frame the garage door (they leave it out to make installing the trusses easier with the bobcat/crane attachment), and the upper and lower trim pieces where the side walls will attach. More roof insulation arrived too.

20210408_174442.jpg

20210408_174425.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great! Ā What are you planning for the floor? Ā I canā€™t remember ever seeing concrete poured AFTER a structure was erected. Keep the pics coming.Ā 

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Looks great! Ā What are you planning for the floor? Ā I canā€™t remember ever seeing concrete poured AFTER a structure was erected. Keep the pics coming.Ā 

Thanks Glen.

Plan is for 6" concrete. With pole barns it's very common to pour the floor after the building is up, at least that's how all the builders in this area have been doing it for years.

My existing building, the 40x40 part that was added to the original 2 car garageĀ was done the same way, at least 30+ years ago. That's how it was when I bought the place in 1996.Ā We then squared up that building around 2000, and did the same thing as well. Turns out the person who built the 40x40 was a co-worker at the chemical plant & the shop was his uncle's that used it as a wood shop business. He helped me put the addition on 4 years after I bought it and has remained one of my closest friends. In fact, he was with me last year at the 50th M/C event at Carlisle, and will be there this year too.

I also am amazed at how fast they are putting it up.Ā  Ā But i also would of thought the cement would of been done first. Joe please get alot of pics for us of them forming and pouring of the cement, as I am very interested in this step. Another thing, do you have any room to store stuff above, there is always something you need to keep in a safe place?Ā  Ā I like how fast they are going, and it looks fantastic.Ā 

OOHHH and say hi to your closest friend.Ā  Ā lol

Looks great. Unless youā€™re building a rat wall( on top of concrete) a lot of builders will put concrete in after structure. When I built my last garage I did the footers then built 3ft concrete block walls. Then did the floors. That way you get good expansion and contraction without crack the foundationĀ 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Ā Another thing, do you have any room to store stuff above, there is always something you need to keep in a safe place?Ā  Ā I like how fast they are going, and it looks fantastic.Ā 

OOHHH and say hi to your closest friend.Ā  Ā lol

With the truss setup now, they don't recommend too much weight above. It's engineered for 115 mph wind, and snow load. I'll be hanging a heater, but it'll be in the corner which I figure will be good. The existing shop has a lot more trusses & spaced closer, so IĀ do store a lot stuff up there, to some degree.

Doug asks about you as well, can't wait to see you guys in a couple of months! He's actually in the top picture, him & his son (who works with me at the power plant) did the site work. They'll also be digging when we run the electric and gas.

14 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Looks great. Unless youā€™re building a rat wall( on top of concrete) a lot of builders will put concrete in after structure. When I built my last garage I did the footers then built 3ft concrete block walls. Then did the floors. That way you get good expansion and contraction without crack the foundationĀ 

Thanks!

Yes, in this case, they sink the poles 4' deep, so that takes the place of the footer, per se. The concrete guy will wrap the poles before pouring, so the pad could move a bit if needed. My existing shop (3/4 of it at least) is built that way and has never been a problem as far as floor shift, etc.

Very interesting in regards to the the foundation pour. I've never seen it done like that before.Ā Different methods IĀ guess depending on what part or region of the country you live in. It looks pretty awesome though!Ā Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

• Like 1

Ya you can put light stuff up there but they look to be 36ā€ o.c. Ā Not great load capacity. If you have extra wood you can use it up there for a walking run just in case you have to get up there to do something.Ā 

35 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ya you can put light stuff up there but they look to be 36ā€ o.c. Ā Not great load capacity. If you have extra wood you can use it up there for a walking run just in case you have to get up there to do something.Ā 

These ones are 48". They tie it together with 2x4 stringers in a few spots along the length, but I'm putting a 2x10 run down the center as well.

12 minutes ago, jft69z said:

These ones are 48". They tie it together with 2x4 stringers in a few spots along the length, but I'm putting a 2x10 run down the center as well.

I was close from the picture. Lol. Thatā€™s really sad that we think alike. BewareĀ the world, there are two of them. Lol lol šŸ˜†Ā 

5 hours ago, Dtret said:

I was close from the picture. Lol. Thatā€™s really sad that we think alike. BewareĀ the world, there are two of them. Lol lol šŸ˜†Ā 

My mom used to say guys like us find each other, lol.Ā 

The boys got 3 of the exterior walls sheeted, ran the 2x4s, and my 2x10 walkway up in the trusses, and a few more minor things. With that stuff done, I was able to start wiring some of the things that are going to be buried when they put the attic insulation & ceiling sheeting up early next week. The plan is to put wiring for 3 ceiling fans, 10 switched outlets for lights, some attic lights, and wiring for heat sensors for the attic (194 degree) & ceiling mount sensors (135 degree) to tie into the alarm system. That all needs to be done by tomorrow. Luckily, they're letting me use the JLG vertical lift, which is a huge time saver, not to mention much safer.

20210409_160937.jpg

20210409_160949.jpg

• Like 3

Them guys are FAST.Looks great too. Wiring runs should move pretty quick with you and your electrician friend. Looks like weather cooperated also. Thatā€™s always a plusĀ 

LooksĀ Great!! Just in time forĀ the rain to hit tomorrow. So, is this for the "Car Collection " section of the Ā property? That'sĀ a lot of space for just the Camaro and the Monte Carlo. Is there more to come?post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

1 hour ago, 420ponies said:

LooksĀ Great!! Just in time forĀ the rain to hit tomorrow. So, is this for the "Car Collection " section of the Ā property? That'sĀ a lot of space for just the Camaro and the Monte Carlo. Is there more to come?post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

LOL, James. Don't forget the ZR1 Corvette, CTS-V Cadillac, the truck with plow, couple of motorcycles, various other space takers like cherry picker, engine stands, body cart, etc.Ā 

Busy couple of days, but hardly looks like anything was done. Got all the ceiling stuff wired including adding 4 lights & switch for the attic area & the 4 heat sensor wiring and boxes. The sensors won't arrive 'til Tuesday, So I may be crawling up there after it's enclosed to wire them up. The JLG was such a time and labor saver, it would be worth renting one if it wasn't already here.

The boxes are left hanging so they can put them in the right place on the sheeting, due to the ribs in the sheet.

20210410_163041.jpg

• Like 2

Great Job Joe!!!Ā  I have to remember to look up when i get to see her in person, I know you have water (or something else) in that red bucket just for me.Ā  Ā  LOLĀ  Ā I hope Doug is reading this also. LOLĀ  Ā I cant believe how fast it is going up.Ā 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, willie said:

Great Job Joe!!!Ā  I have to remember to look up when i get to see her in person, I know you have water (or something else) in that red bucket just for me.Ā  Ā  LOLĀ  Ā I hope Doug is reading this also. LOLĀ  Ā I cant believe how fast it is going up.Ā 

Haaha...Nope, just parts and tools in thoseĀ buckets. I imagine in a few days it'll be all sealed up as far as the ceiling. Off to Erie, Pa tomorrow morning to pick up my other grill and front bumper from chrome, then a long string of night shifts starting tomorrow night. Gonna be a long couple of weeks.

So today they got the front sheeting done, plus the man door installed, even though it rained a lot.

They started insulating and sheeting the ceiling too. Sounds like theyĀ may be done tomorrow with that part.

20210412_170532.jpg

20210412_170549.jpg