TH400 transmission fluid

1Bad454

Hey guys I had my transmission rebuild to handle 600HP and it has a 10" converter with a 2800 stall. I am getting ready to install it soon. Any recommendations on transmission fluid? Just curious.

Thanks!  

I'd ask the guys who rebuilt the transmission. If there's any problems, the blame won't be put on you for "using the wrong fluid". Let them tell you, and then there won't be any confusion as far as warranty issues (at least as far as that's concerned).

• Like 2

I had a TH400 w/ a 3,200 stall built a few years ago to go behind my 820 hp 555 bbc in my mud truck.  My trans guy recommended TCI Max Shift. I’d have to double check, but I think it was the synthetic.  

• Like 1

I always use the ole reliable, sorry for the word but, ford type f fluid. That's what the trick shift fluid is and cheaper, not much, but it is. 

Run it in all our th350s and the 400s. 

• Like 3

I didn't want to muddy up the question on my first post, but as in this thread there are tons of "correct answers". When I first asked the guy that rebuilt mine what to use he said whatever you want, and his first example answer was type F. So I pinned him down and asked what he ran in his and Amalie was the answer. Let us know what they say, maybe the count will get to 26 since Dennis is keeping count 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

I didn't want to muddy up the question on my first post, but as in this thread there are tons of "correct answers". When I first asked the guy that rebuilt mine what to use he said whatever you want, and his first example answer was type F. So I pinned him down and asked what he ran in his and Amalie was the answer. Let us know what they say, maybe the count will get to 26 since Dennis is keeping count 🤣

Not really counting but I’ve sold parts for years and the amounts of different transmission fluids is rediculas(?). It went from 1 per oe manufacturer to almost every car takes a different fluid. And this doesn’t take into account the infamous “all makes all models”. Antifreeze is getting just as bad. Stupid I say

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jft69z said:

Is that on your list Dennis?

Not a chance in he..  Never went Agra or for that matter marine. Thanks Joe now my head hurts (no I didn’t look in the mirror). Thanks again. Lol 😂 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hmm...owners manual says Dexron II. The type F is a bit thicker and gives a firmer shift. Maybe that's just old "bench racing" rumors.

I still have an old cardboard can of B&M trickshft...that stuff is blue.

[scene fades to flashback segment...Youth plunging spout into cardboard oil can and side of can collapses..empty cans strewn about driveway...]