71 Monte out of the barn

Hugh

Hi there. 

My name is Hugh and I just joined the other day. I've had a few First Gen Monte Carlo's in my earlier years and consider it my favorite car. Unfortunately I sold my 72 Monte which had a lot of sentimental value a little over 20 years ago. At the time I did it for financial reasons but long regret it! I spotted this Monte Carlo in a barn helping a guy out pick rocks out of a field with his bobcat that was stored in the same barn. I asked him if we sell it and he told me he was saving it for his son. Long story short, after 25 years he realized his son had no interest in it. He had owned it since new and finally decided after it sat for 30 years to sell it to me. I've really enjoyed looking at the pictures on this website and look forward to meeting some of you. I also hope for some good contacts for parts or work. Apparently someone dropped something heavy on the the roof which also crushed the upper half of the rear drivers side quarter panel. My daughter wants to work on it with me so we plan on attending the meet in Pennsylvania. Looking forward to being a member!

Sorry for the long introduction. 

Monte 1.jpg

Monte 2.jpg

Monte 3.jpg

Monte 4.jpg

Monte 6.jpg

Monte 7.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for all the welcomes. I've been looking at lot of pictures of all the Monte's on this website, some beautiful cars! I hope some day this car will get there. Would this be good place to ask for some recommendations or should I be on a different platform? Friend of mine working on getting the engine running again. This car has some serious roof damage! I'm thinking I will need to get a replacement roof and rear quarter sand need to find someone to weld it. Almost thought of making it into a convertible.

Monte roof damage.jpg

Working under the hood.jpg

Monte engine 3.jpg

Inside Monte roof.jpg

Monte roof damage pax side.jpg

• Like 1

Based on what I see next to the Monte (55/56 Chev) you have some good experience right under the hood. All the parts to repair that are available and probably can find an original roof panel with sails. Than go aftermarket on the quarters. 

• 2 weeks later...