Q Jet Accelerator pump lengths

Skifoggy

Does anyone know the standard length of the accelerator pump shaft for a "71 Quadrajet? I'm seeing lengths from 2.43" to 2.76". I didn't want to pull the existing pump out if I didn" have to. Also, can anyone explain the reasons for the different lengths performance wise?

Thanks!

I can't help you with the specs on what your 71 is supposed to be but a shorter pump will give you a longer stroke on the accelerator pump and deliver a longer shot of fuel. I couldn't tell you if there would be a significant performance advantage with the rest of the carburetor being stock. Why do you need to change out the pump?  Edit: I just saw your other thread. If you're rebuilding the carburetor you will just reuse the rod that it with it and change out the rubber portion of the pump as part of the rebuild. Make sure that you get a pump that is compatible with the Ethanol that is in gas now. IIRC it is green in color.  I bought all of my parts from Cliff Ruggles. He has a business rebuilding Rochester carburetors but I don't know how to post a link. Do a search and you will find him. He's very well regarded  in the Pontiac community. He's also written an excellent book and rebuilding these carburetors. 

Thanks David. I just received my carb kit from Cliff yesterday. The rubber boot installed on the original pump didn't fit very well. The kit from Cliff has the new accelerator pump with the Ethanol boot installed. I will pick up some JB weld to seal up the leaky bowls as well today. 

Glad to hear that you are buying from Cliff! He's a great guy to deal with.  In his book he recommended removing the plugs, tapping threads for different plugs and sealing the threads with JB Weld. I've just applied over the leaking plugs in the past with the JB with no problem. Of course this last carburetor that I did, I did neither. If I start it within 12 hours, I'm fine, otherwise it's dry. So I'll be going back in to seal the plugs that "looked okay " lol 

I pulled out the old ac pump and installed the new one. The car is running great. The plugs on the bowls sealed up nicely as well. Thanks again for your help.

Glad that I could help! I'm trying to finish some rust repair in the trunk and passenger fender as well as finish an A/C install on mine. I'm dying to drive it again so it helps me to hear about ones like yours that are on the road