Protect O Plate

This all has me so fascinated I wish we could have a decoder program, and it would include variables like protect o plates from the US and Canada, since they are different, and is 70 different than 71 or 72 and is 71 different than them and if 72 is different that them..........

• Like 1

I’ve been working on a page today for decoding the protectoplate. I had no idea how much information is available on there. If anyone wants to share their protectoplate with me I would appreciate some examples.

I have the protectoplate for my Dad’s Chevelle he sold in the 70s. I had fun decoding that today. Here’s what I found with that car:

1970 Chevelle 2door coupe built in Oct 1969.
307 engine with TH350 trans.
Rochester carb.
Engine was built in Tonawanda Oct 1, 1969.
2.73 non posi rear built Oct 17, 1969 by McKinnon Industries.
The transmission was built by Cleveland Sep 27, 1969.

There is even more info on specific option codes but I’m not going that deep with our page. That would be a lot of info to research.

• Like 1

Aaron, sounds great, I will e-mail you.

In my collection of stuff I have about my car, today I found I have the printed book named "Decoding Guide" General Motors Protect-O-Plate for 1965 - 1972 Chevrolet Models by Paul Herd. There are 66 pages in it.

I don't remember buying it or when I got it! It has 2002 as a date printed on the first page.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

I’ve been working on a page today for decoding the protectoplate. I had no idea how much information is available on there. If anyone wants to share their protectoplate with me I would appreciate some examples.

I have the protectoplate for my Dad’s Chevelle he sold in the 70s. I had fun decoding that today. Here’s what I found with that car:

1970 Chevelle 2door coupe built in Oct 1969.
307 engine with TH350 trans.
Rochester carb.
Engine was built in Tonawanda Oct 1, 1969.
2.73 non posi rear built Oct 17, 1969 by McKinnon Industries.
The transmission was built by Cleveland Sep 27, 1969.

There is even more info on specific option codes but I’m not going that deep with our page. That would be a lot of info to research.

Here’s my Protect-O-Plate from a previous SS454 thread. Fire away...

FB1A5381-967C-4790-85EA-A3CE5970F00C.png

• Like 1

Got 1971 Canada Protec-O-Plate almost done, but still one number on the second row far right (4)

and two numbers on the bottom third row 1 (space) 3

NOTE:

Note: Oshawa warranty card have the rear end code on line 2 and the transmission code on line 3, just the opposite of U.S. warranty cards. Additionally the carburetor code letter is directly after the VIN instead of between the rear end code and option numbers.

Decode my 71.JPG

Axle.JPG

Engine.JPG

trans.JPG

Edited by stangeba
added pics
  • Like 1

I’m still working on it and putting together some samples with details of how to decode. I hope to have something on our site in a month or so, maybe less.

• Like 1

You know how the plate is a mirror or backwards image, right? I swear I scanned mine and was able to "reverse" it so it was readable several years ago but now I can't find the software to do it. Perhaps it was way back with my old APPLE computer. (or I'm just too old to remember) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stangeba said:

You know how the plate is a mirror or backwards image, right? I swear I scanned mine and was able to "reverse" it so it was readable several years ago but now I can't find the software to do it. Perhaps it was way back with my old APPLE computer. (or I'm just too old to remember) 

I adjusted one recently when someone posted a plate. I googled and found an online one, it reversed and flipped it, real quick & easy. The link below may have been what I used before, but it did just work for this plate pretty easily.

https://www.img2go.com/rotate-image

This one worked pretty good too:    http://flip.imageonline.co/

20210426_165353.thumb.jpg.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stangeba said:

Bruce, if you can't find an easier way, you can do it by brute force using the Microsoft Office Suite.  Just open a New file in PowerPoint and select the Title and Content page layout.  It has a title bar and a content box below that which will accept eight types of content from text to graphics to picture/images and more. Ignore the Title bar and click on the lower left icon "pictures" of the Content box, then select the photo you want to reverse from your file system.  That will insert the photo onto your blank page.  Click anywhere on the page to leave Insert mode and then click on the photo again to select it.  Now click on the Arrange function on your task bar and select Rotate from the drop down menu. Finally click on "Flip horizontally" and the negative text image will become readable.  Like I said, only if you can't find an easier way ...  😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCfan said:

Bruce, if you can't find an easier way, you can do it by brute force using the Microsoft Office Suite.  Just open a New file in PowerPoint and select the Title and Content page layout.  It has a title bar and a content box below that which will accept eight types of content from text to graphics to picture/images and more. Ignore the Title bar and click on the lower left icon "pictures" of the Content box, then select the photo you want to reverse from your file system.  That will insert the photo onto your blank page.  Click anywhere on the page to leave Insert mode and then click on the photo again to select it.  Now click on the Arrange function on your task bar and select Rotate from the drop down menu. Finally click on "Flip horizontally" and the negative text image will become readable.  Like I said, only if you can't find an easier way ...  😄

Dennis, It worked, but I did it a bit differently.

On my P.C. I opened "Microsoft Office",

then opened "Microsoft Office Picture Manager",

then Edit Pictures,

then I selected the picture,

then clicked on "rotate and flip"

then "flip vertical"

then save it.

It worked!

Now you all can try it on the picture below.

Have fun!

Thanks,

Bruce

flip it please.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Aaron i have a few extras that do NOT belong to anyone, I think 1 Monte, 1 Chevelle not sure off hand don't remember what the other one is for.   I have to dig them out but i have them. Just let me know. Maybe they will help you in your research?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m still working on this. There is a lot of info to research but I think I summarized it all now. I just finished preparing some sample plates tonight. Here’s a 1970 example I made.

8BC34B79-C7EC-4A59-8920-29E39B5A4F06.png

Now I need to build the web page for it which will take time to do with the amount of info involved. Stay tuned.

I would like to see more plates for cars with TH400 transmissions if you have them.

Aaron, Great job! Thank you so much for all your time and effort.

1Z71J3504BBL3SPDTHM350BNVT

On 5/22/2021 at 7:19 PM, Canuck said:

Here's my draft thus far. I'm still finalizing a few details regarding the TH400 transmissions and need examples of TH400 plates.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/protectoplate/

Here ya go, Aaron.  I hope it helps your project  

5E75E235-B583-457F-9FBC-6C638FF62C63.png

E70C046A-8D08-4930-8D15-9878516A312F.png

On 5/22/2021 at 7:19 PM, Canuck said:
37 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Sorry, I meant Protectoplates for cars with TH400 transmissions.

I looked at my POP again to compare it against what you decoded. My POP is stamped with the “C” for Carter carb while I’m pretty sure the (supposedly) original carb that came with my Monte is a Rochester (see attached photo).

I believe that this is the original carb as the numbers match as original on other parts (intake manifold and distributor) that came with my girl. Perhaps the POP wasn’t stamped correctly (like my engine build date:  it shows 1222 on the block, but 1227 on the POP)?

Regardless, everything else lines up as it should, so I’m really not all that concerned. 

8430F7C8-1C88-4C4C-A7D1-92075329EED2.jpeg