Carpet Suggestions

TheBMan

I want to replace the carpet in my 72 Monte Carlo Custom. If you know my car, you know that it's very original and I want to keep it that way. It has the original style "loop" polyester carpet (pictures attached). I have found multiple suppliers but thought I'd ask your advice/opinions. It looks like some of them don't have the hole for the headlight high beam button on the floor. If you know of one that includes that hole (and the trim around the hole), that would be great. The fewer things I have to cut, the fewer chances of making a mistake.

Thanks!

IMG_3433.JPG

IMG_3434.JPG

I’m happy with my carpet from ACC Mats. I’m happy with it. I had to cut the hole for the high beam switch and I simply moved the rubber pie e that goes around the switch from my old carpet. Be aware that all reproduction carpet requires trimming and holes cut. You need to be careful that the carpet is where it should be with front seats installed before doing the final trimming.

44088208-1BB7-4F61-BEEE-F90026146C4C.jpeg

26CA5120-DC62-4B29-9245-032096DB0017.jpeg

597AEFF8-A7CC-43F0-ADB0-D54638C48DF7.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

I’m happy with my carpet from ACC Mats. I’m happy with it. I had to cut the hole for the high beam switch and I simply moved the rubber pie e that goes around the switch from my old carpet. Be aware that all reproduction carpet requires trimming and holes cut. You need to be careful that the carpet is where it should be with front seats installed before doing the final trimming.

That has the original look I'm looking for. Thanks for the tips!

I have the ACC carpet too, plus the floor mats to match. I got the 'heavier' one with the upgraded backing (mass backing I think they call it), as they said it fits better. Very pleased with the fit, and as Aaron said, it'll require a hole for the high beam & console if you have one. They include the rubber grommet for the light switch. I got it from OC Auto Carpets as it was cheaper than going straight to ACC.

https://www.ocautocarpets.com/

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Canuck said:

Aaron, where did you find your rear floor mats?

13 hours ago, jft69z said:

I have the ACC carpet too, plus the floor mats to match. I got the 'heavier' one with the upgraded backing (mass backing I think they call it), as they said it fits better. Very pleased with the fit, and as Aaron said, it'll require a hole for the high beam & console if you have one. They include the rubber grommet for the light switch. I got it from OC Auto Carpets as it was cheaper than going straight to ACC.

I'm gonna go with this (from OC Auto Carpets). Good price, good reviews, matching mats. Win/win/win. Thanks!

3 hours ago, sbarnette said:

Aaron, where did you find your rear floor mats?

I ordered those from ACC Mats when I got the carpet. I got them for the front too but not shown in the photos.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBMan said:

I'm gonna go with this (from OC Auto Carpets). Good price, good reviews, matching mats. Win/win/win. Thanks!

I got the front/rear mats from them at the same time. Pretty good match. I got the trunk mat from them prior to the carpets, same deal, good price, service, and product.

Consider the heavier backing (you'll get the option as you drill down the order list). It looked like the carpet I replaced may have been an ACC as well (certainly wasn't the original), but side to side, the heavier one did look a lot nicer.

32 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I got the front/rear mats from them at the same time. Pretty good match. I got the trunk mat from them prior to the carpets, same deal, good price, service, and product.

Consider the heavier backing (you'll get the option as you drill down the order list). It looked like the carpet I replaced may have been an ACC as well (certainly wasn't the original), but side to side, the heavier one did look a lot nicer.

Yes, I'm planning on getting the Mass Backing. Hopefully it will act as a decent sound barrier.

When I got my carpet with the mass backing I also ordered the floor mats with the Monte Carlo script. Black mats with red Script   I went with the newer style of carpet I like it better than the stock original. My car was far from being bone stock when I bought it 10 yrs ago so I do to Ole Red what makes Glendia(wife) and I happy

• Like 1

hi, i also got the acc carpet for my 72 custom, with the mass backing ,did the sound deadener first ,when you get your carpet ,either choice put it in the sun unfolded the way it would go in the car , let the carpet relax before installing,roger

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 5:23 PM, jft69z said:

Did you use the sticky sound deadener also or just the Mass backing? Also trying to figure this out. Thanks

48 minutes ago, Cooltech said:

Did you use the sticky sound deadener also or just the Mass backing? Also trying to figure this out. Thanks

I did put Dynamat on the floors as well as the trunk divider area & trunk floor. The original stuff, just the foil backed, thin sticky deadener. It took a couple of boxes of the stuff, got it from Summit.

• Like 2

Here’s a photo from when I first laid out the carpet. Ideally you want to do this in summer so you can put the carpet out in the sun to soften it.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

yes i also did dynamat ,and mass backing on my acc carpet ,i have a factory 454 with stock exhaust ,and after adding the mat and mass backing ,it really made my car very quiet in the interior ,and don't have to blast the radio and can now have a conversation while driving ,highly recommend ,the sun will be your friend while installing,roger

• Like 2

Replacing the carpet was the first major project I did after buying my first Monte eleven years ago.  I ordered it from The Parts Place but it was ACC carpet according to the tags.  Wish I had known about the mass backing then (assuming it was available).  I actually removed the padding from the original carpet and used it as a carpet pad with the new carpet (and thin attached pad) installed on top.

Regarding trimming your new carpet, I used the old original carpet at a pattern, laying it over the new carpet (finished side down on both pieces), carefully positioning it around seat, console and shifter cut-outs and pinning it in place with numerous small finish nails like a dress-maker pins a paper pattern to cloth material before cutting.  I knew the original carpet fit perfectly so cutting the new carpet no more than a 1/2" proud allowed a for a good fit without further trimming.  Good luck with your install. You will love the fresh new look and smell!

P1130122.JPG

P1130129.JPG

P1130132.JPG

P1130141.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canuck said:

Here’s a photo from when I first laid out the carpet. Ideally you want to do this in summer so you can put the carpet out in the sun to soften it.

image.jpeg

It's springtime in Ohio - I'm hoping the sun will be out and it will be warm!

3 hours ago, MCfan said:

Replacing the carpet was the first major project I did after buying my first Monte eleven years ago.  I ordered it from The Parts Place but it was ACC carpet according to the tags.  Wish I had known about the mass backing then (assuming it was available).  I actually removed the padding from the original carpet and used it as a carpet pad with the new carpet (and thin attached pad) installed on top.

Regarding trimming your new carpet, I used the old original carpet at a pattern, laying it over the new carpet (finished side down on both pieces), carefully positioning it around seat, console and shifter cut-outs and pinning it in place with numerous small finish nails like a dress-maker pins a paper pattern to cloth material before cutting.  I knew the original carpet fit perfectly so cutting the new carpet no more than a 1/2" proud allowed a for a good fit without further trimming.  Good luck with your install. You will love the fresh new look and smell!

P1130122.JPG

P1130129.JPG

P1130132.JPG

P1130141.JPG

Thanks @MCfan. The carpet that's in my car doesn't fit very well so I don't think using your method is the best option for me (although it's a great idea). I'm just going to take my time - measure twice, cut once, right? I'm always very thorough and take my time no matter what I'm working on so I think I'll be okay. I'll post some photos when I'm done.

• Like 1