Carpet Suggestions

TheBMan

I got my carpet today from the parts place. Acc carpet also. I had a color question so I called them and he told me that acc has bought up almost all auto carpet manufacturing. So most everything out the is “acc”. I put that in quotes because acc has to sell off all the other companies inventory and then combine all the colors to get them consistent. Basically he said it’s a color crapshoot right now. Blue is not the same blue to the purchased companies. Just an FYI 

I order swatches of all the colours I think it could be. What they had listed as Sandalwood was not factory correct and the one I got to match the factory colour wasn’t even in the list of factory colours.

HAs anyone used the sound deadeners from acc or do I just use Dynamat ?? I ordered dark green floor mats from them and the are lighter than the original carpet. So I'm thinking I should probably just replace the carpet also. Not sure if the have swatches that would be different.

31 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

HAs anyone used the sound deadeners from acc or do I just use Dynamat ?? I ordered dark green floor mats from them and the are lighter than the original carpet. So I'm thinking I should probably just replace the carpet also. Not sure if the have swatches that would be different.

I ordered swatches from ACC first so I could compare to my original carpet. On the site you can select to show all colors rather than just original colours. I chose everything that looked like it might match to get as swatches. It turns out the color I needed was not listed as an original colour so don’t rely on that. The colour they listed as Sandalwood was way off from my original Sandalwood carpet and Parchment is what I actually needed. Make sure to compare the swatches to an area of the carpet that is clean and not faded by the sun. Removing the sill plate is an easy way to expose some clean carpet.

I purchased the factory style sound deadening material from ACC. Seemed to work fine but doesn’t cover every square inch of the floor.

Thanks Aaron, I just looked at the receipts that came with the car and the prior owner had replaced the carpet so now I'm not sure what the original carpet should look like. I googled 1970 784 code green interiors to get an idea what is correct. I did order some swatches this morning. Did you order direct from acc or someone else. It looks like everyone distributes products for them. Did you just go with the original loop carpet? Rock Auto has the best price that I can find.

Thanks again, Paul

4 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Thanks Aaron, I just looked at the receipts that came with the car and the prior owner had replaced the carpet so now I'm not sure what the original carpet should look like. I googled 1970 784 code green interiors to get an idea what is correct. I did order some swatches this morning. Did you order direct from acc or someone else. It looks like everyone distributes products for them. Did you just go with the original loop carpet? Rock Auto has the best price that I can find.

Thanks again, Paul

I went with the original loop carpet with mass backing. I ordered through a family friend who had a restoration parts business at the time in Canada. You could try matching to the carpet on you original door panels if they are not too faded/dirty.

i installed dynamat ,and got the acc with the mass backing ,would highly recommend , it made my factory exhaust, stock  big block car, run  a lot, quieter and alot cooler to drive , roger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1970mcss said:

The door panels are also pretty faded. I need to see where to find those also. Any ideas?

I got mine from PUI and not happy with the quality. Next time I would use Legendary Interiors.

• 3 months later...

Update: I just finished installing new carpet in my 72 Custom. I went with OC Auto Carpets and I'm happy with the quality. I got the carpet with the "mass backing" and I also installed new matching floor mats.

Thanks for the tips, especially regarding placing the carpet in the sun to soften things up. That worked very nice. I used a hollow hole punch to cut the holes for the seat mounting points and seat belts.

The biggest tip I could give is one that a couple of you already pointed out... take your time because there is trimming and hole cutting to do. Measure twice, cut once, right? I took my time and it turned out great. I have about 6 hours total in the project.

Pictures attached!

@420ponies @Canuck @Dtret @jft69z @sbarnette @Leghome @MCfan @Cooltech

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

The carpet looks great. I bought the same for my car but I was going to make it a winter project.  Is there a trick in the winter to soften things up?

Take it out of the box now & let it sit in the sun now maybe. If you're like a couple of us, it can either stay in a spare room, basement, or dining room until you're ready to install it in the winter. 😁

• Like 1

Paul i dont know for sure, maybe someone else that has more knowledge can jump in here.  But i would think as long as its out of the box and laying flat for a period of time so it can relax alittle will be better than keeping it in the box till the last minute. Also because you plan on doing it in the winter maybe using a heat gun to relax it alittle might help.    Good Luck

• Like 3

Even in an Illinois winter you will still have sunny days. A couple hours before you actually put it in let it sit on asphalt (black). But I agree that you lay it out flat for a while before you plan on putting it in. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/7/2021 at 11:42 AM, TheBMan said:

Update: I just finished installing new carpet in my 72 Custom. I went with OC Auto Carpets and I'm happy with the quality. I got the carpet with the "mass backing" and I also installed new matching floor mats.

Thanks for the tips, especially regarding placing the carpet in the sun to soften things up. That worked very nice. I used a hollow hole punch to cut the holes for the seat mounting points and seat belts.

The biggest tip I could give is one that a couple of you already pointed out... take your time because there is trimming and hole cutting to do. Measure twice, cut once, right? I took my time and it turned out great. I have about 6 hours total in the project.

Pictures attached!

@420ponies @Canuck @Dtret @jft69z @sbarnette @Leghome @MCfan @Cooltech

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Bryan, did you install anything under the carpet?

On 1/8/2022 at 5:56 PM, 1970mcss said:

Bryan, did you install anything under the carpet?

@1970mcss Hey Paul, I ordered the carpet with the "mass backing". I did not use anything else/extra between the carpet and the metal pan of the car. Sound deadening and comfort is good!

• Like 1