Gas tank venting questions...

JP_AstroMan

So I've ordered an air filter that will not have the original connection that vents the gas tank. My original air cleaner is causing the Sniper EFI to fail. My question is- what sort of down sides are there to not sending gas tank vapor back into carb? Is there a filter I could use instead? Charcoal canisters look to be something that goes inline from tank to air cleaner. Is there a standalone option? Will I lose any performance by not venting back into the engine?

PXL_20210429_153701817.MP.jpg

Have you been to the Holley Sniper forums yet? There's a lot of good info & sharp people there that are willing to help. What you're experiencing is pretty common from what I've been reading over there, unfortunately. A lot of it comes down to installation and proper wiring, but it does seem that unit is more susceptible to those problems. 

https://forums.holley.com/forumdisplay.php?82-Sniper-EFI

3 hours ago, JP_AstroMan said:

Yes, I have been all over them. I have it under control. But my question is about venting a gas tank...

The air cleaner has nothing to do with venting of the tank. Air cleaner vents the crankcase along with the PCV system. 

1970 cars use vent valve on the right front of tank, 71 and 72 use a charcoal cannister drawing vacuum through the carb.

• 2 months later...

When I installed a sniper I understood the original air cleaner cannot be used with a sniper. I don’t recall why. But I did have to have vented tank. I achieved that with a venting gas cap. 
sorry if that doesn’t help