wiring gurus needed

willie

I am starting to work on another SS project. It is a 71SS and has a few issues. I just want to get it started and go from there. There was no starter when i got her. The engine harness was also missing ends. I extended the starter wires with correct ends. However they had a heavy wire coming through the firewall. Under the dash it looks like they cut a thick purple with white stripe wire and sent it through the firewall to the starter, but there were no ends to attach to the starter. I also have no power at all in the car, no lights no dash lights, nothing. There is also no power at this purple with white stripe wire.  I know there is more than one problem, but if i can get her running then i will attack the other problems.

Question is why did they cut the purple with white stripe wire? Key switch bad, neutral safety switch bad? I don't know why they would of done this?

I will get new harnesses if that's what it would take. Just want to make sure that's what it is first.

Any help on this would be great. Thanks

Willie, I'm no expert but I looked at the wiring diagram. I think I see 12 wa ppl wire from ignition switch to neutral safety switch. From the firewall it looks like it then goes to the "S" terminal on the starter. I hope someone else will double check me. Good luck

Willie, do you have a wire from the positive battery terminal to the junction block on the rad support and a wire from that to the car? 

Tkx guys. That gives me something to ck. I am not sure there is a wire from pos terminal to rad support.

Tkx Paul and Tom

Ok in between checking on the wife (2nd shot kicking her butt) i looked at what Tom stated and yes there is a wire hanging. I hooked it up on the pos terminal and got juice inside the car. I tried to start the car and got a thump from somewhere under dash (i was outside car reaching threw the windshield). I shut off the key and put idiot light on the wire they put threw the firewall. Nothing. I left idiot light on that same wire and turned the key on, yes i have juice!   Question is, is this wire the thick wire that goes down to the starter that is connected with the batt cable on starters large stud?? If yes why would that be? If the pos cable sends juice all the time and then this sends more juice to the same stud? To me something is not right, HELP? LOL

Tkx

Willie, the positive cable from the battery attached to the large (center) terminal to the starter solenoid. The other wires from the starter switch attach to the solenoids other terminal. Those wires engage the solenoid when you turn the key. I hope this helps

Paul i think that is the way i did 1) battery cable and thick wire coming from wire harness. 2) Small wire coming from the wire harness mounted on the "S" terminal. That's it as far as i know.  But who knows what they did before me, and what gremlins are lurking there. I am sure i will have other questions, but 1 step at a time. 

Tkx

• Like 1

Tom the 67 6cyl pic  shows 1 wire from batt cable to large stud.  The thick purple wire to the "S" terminal. And the small white wire to the outside "R" terminal.   That's not the way it's hooked up because the purple wire had a large eye connecter that fit on the batt cable stud. And the white wire went to the "S" terminal.

So i will change what i have to the way the pic states, Right?

Tkx Tom and Paul

Does the car presently have a points/condenser type distributor Willie?

Tom ok i will tomm and get back to you guys.

Joe yes it does.

Paul yes there is a white wire that goes to the coil. Not sure if this starter wire is the same or not.    But i will try it the way Tom suggest and let everyone know how i make out.

Tkx guys

• Like 1

If it has points, then you'll need 3 wires at the starter solenoid connections. Like you & Tom discussed earlier, Purple wire would go to the 'S' terminal (who knows why there was a large ring terminal on there), the white should go to the 'R' terminal, then the large cable from the battery to the large, center spot on the solenoid.

• Like 2

Ok guys, i changed the wires around like suggested. Cable on large terminal, purple new end on the "S" terminal, and the white wire on the "R" terminal. And when i connected batt i have a draw. Not saying it wasn't there before, but it is here now. Also connected the purple with white stripe together under the dash. I still do not get the motor to spin. 

Next i will try to jump the starter as it is all connected correctly now. I also have the problem of why was the purple with white stripe wire cut in the first place?

Tkx

The purple wires are for the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS). If there is a break, open, switch not in the correct position, you won't get juice to the starter solenoid. You may need to dig further to check the integrity of that circuit. If you have 12VDC on one side of that wire, but nothing on the other end when you turn the key, you have a problem still.

• Like 1

Like Joe stated, check the neutral safety switch setting. Make sure you have power going into the switch and out of the switch in park and/or neutral when the key is turned to the start position. 

The switch may be bad and was jumped out. That may be the, "I don't know why the wire was cut" statement you made. Just a possibility Willie. 

• Like 1