Heated air blowing through Vents

RH 70 72

My 72 is blowing heated air through the vents with the fan and air controls off and with the temp setting on cold. All fluids are at the proper levels. Any thoughts? 

The cable came off the door mechanism. Sounds like it to me anyway. That very thing happened to Antoine on our way to or during last eastern meet. He was able to reach up and reattach the cable to the door mechanism. 

With the car off, move the selector from warm to cold and back a few times. You should almost be able to hear the door moving. If that is way too easy then its likely the end of the cable popped off. Luckily the whole thing is accessible either by reaching a skinny arm up from the bottom on the passenger side or by popping the dash pad off and gaining access to the spot where the cable connects from the top. 

3 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

possible the cable or vacuum came off the door inside the heater box that closes off the vents?? Is heat coming for the vent on the floor?? 

TY for your reply, heat was coming from all vents

2 hours ago, cbolt said:

The cable came off the door mechanism. Sounds like it to me anyway. That very thing happened to Antoine on our way to or during last eastern meet. He was able to reach up and reattach the cable to the door mechanism. 

With the car off, move the selector from warm to cold and back a few times. You should almost be able to hear the door moving. If that is way too easy then its likely the end of the cable popped off. Luckily the whole thing is accessible either by reaching a skinny arm up from the bottom on the passenger side or by popping the dash pad off and gaining access to the spot where the cable connects from the top. 

Thank you for your reply. I will check that out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 11:10 AM, cbolt said:

Cbolt. Did you reconnect to the selector or the door? 

On 5/4/2021 at 11:10 AM, cbolt said:

Also, where underneath were you able to access the door mechanism? TY

Ok, thanks for all your replies. Think I found the issue. The vent tube had slid off under the dash. I slid it back up in place and hope that this was the cause. 

B83D4520-5671-45D4-8D62-5E6A3CFCE644.jpeg

36AE0135-D54D-417D-9B29-DC7EA03A9F8A.jpeg

The selector cable for the heat/cold is attached to a small rod that then attaches to the selector door inside the heater box assembly. The cable has a round end that slips over the top of the rod and should stay in place due to a clip that holds the cable itself to the top of the heater box. Hard to explain and even harder to get a picture of unless i disassemble my dash again. You may be able to find an illustration somewhere on the internet as the Chevelle and Monte Carlo use the same heater box assembly. 

I am not sure how the slip tube coming off the diverter duct assembly would cause heat to come from all the vents, just the one that blows to the drivers side dash vent, correct? The passenger side dash vent is fed via a flexible tube type duct that goes from the diverter duct assembly, behind the glove box, and on to the passenger side dash vent. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the replies. A shutoff valve has been placed inline on the 5/8” hose off the manifold. No leaks. No warm air. AC is back to cooling the cabin as designed. 
On to Carlisle ! 

B801CDBD-CECC-4E20-9588-769C81D4C603.jpeg

• Like 1