Door handle getting stuck...

JP_AstroMan

Hi folks. My driver side door handle button is getting stuck pushed in...and not opening the door. If I pull up a few times on the interior handle it will pop the button back out. Anything I can do without pulling the door apart? Thanks you.

PXL_20210505_163154016.jpg

The spring inside the push button may be stuck on something or broken. Door has to come apart to get to the handle. You could always try to spray some lubricant like wd40 around the button. Watch the drips on the paint. 

• Like 1

I'd try and lube it up good and work it in to see if that will help, if not yup door panel has to come off to get to the inside of the door. But that's not a huge job. Getting to the bolts that hold handle on is a little tricky and can be painful (ask me how I know lol) but it's not terrible. 

I soaked it real good with lube and surprisingly it didn't change anything. I watched a video on taking the door panel off. It appears I will need to order a special tool for popping off the window handles? Do you guys agree with that? Like this- https://www.eastwood.com/window-handle-removal-tool.html

The tool makes it much easier to remove the door panel. Both the door handle and window crank use the same type of clip to attach them. Lucky for you most auto parts stores will carry that tool and it isnt too very expensive. I recommend a good set of trim tools as well. They have roll up type kits that have the various fastener removal tools, all plastic so as not to mar your door panels in the process. Something is amiss in there and the only way to figure out what is to take the door panel off and inspect the mechanism and spring. 

I've got the plastic pry tools..only missing the window handle tool. Also, I have one ding on my car that bugs the heck outta me that just happens to be in the middle of this door. I will have to watch some ding videos.

If you don't want to purchase the tool you can use a rag to do the same thing. I have the tool and usually use the rag method anyway. Lol 

If the ding is in the middle of the door, most likely the "crash bar" will be in the way. 

23 minutes ago, JP_AstroMan said:

Well isn't that nice. Thank you!

I didn't know that could be done so we learn something new every day. I bought the tool years ago.

I have everything off the door and it's completely ready to come off except for the top rail. I'm not clear on what's going on behind the panel up top. Seems very attached...?

Push the upper rail towards the window. Sometimes you may need to slap it a little to get the locking tabs to disengage. 

Slide the covers away from the pullstrap. Again, sometimes a tap is needed to expose the screws. 

Just push that retainer down & rotate 1/4 turn. Spring pops right out.