Beaver in the Desert...

Beaver

Hey everyone...my name is Beaver...at the moment I live in Arizona...I'm a US Air Force veteran that has been in the car culture/lifestyle all my life thanks to my parents...I have a '71 Monte lowered and sittin' on 14" rallies & white walls...It's pretty much factory with a few tweaks here and there...First Gen Montes have always been my favorite of all the generations...plus '71 is the year this old man was born...I also have a '51 Chevy 3100 pickup and a '63 Chevy C10 pickup that I have built and restored over the last 30 years...Really looking forward to meeting you all on here...thanks for the acceptance to the forum... 177745944_1450172091998634_1664456061094965367_n.jpg.59629838386235e8041547053c6b3567.jpg181716884_1456197801396063_5719080113130973045_n.jpg.6f1fd2fc233fad7f6047ef3d407a7d64.jpg181547873_1456197794729397_9040785346233407068_n.thumb.jpg.c414d454ad1bd15dd7aebed8f97f429f.jpg176724917_1449936535355523_4620856304168724958_n.thumb.jpg.f8f662b4ed769bc95cf624149818aac0.jpg10989144_858875744168469_4933301135524780768_n.jpg.4092871449ff5d4361dd9ad42da0ab07.jpg63pu.jpg.df1530120edaaf004bdbc160fdb18d60.jpg...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 1970mcss said:

Great looking Monte and love the trucks! Welcome to the club.

Thanks for the compliment and the welcome!  I see you're from St. Charles...I was born in Aurora...

Welcome aboard,  nice looking monte and trucks too. Thank you for your service in the air force,  my girlfriends son is in air force now he is stationed in Utah now but was in Arizona for a while. Hes scheduled to retire in another couple years but may stay a bit longer. Good luck with your car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beaver said:

Thanks for the compliment and the welcome!  I see you're from St. Charles...I was born in Aurora...

You got out while the getting was good. This state is big time screwed up...I worked for a dealership in Aurora for a while in the early 80s

• Like 1

Ok, am I the only one who immediately thought of Leslie Nielsen’s exchange with Priscilla Presley in Naked Gun?

Back on point, beautiful trio you’ve got there, Beaver!  How is your ‘71 lowered?  Did you cut the OE coils or do you have adjustable coil overs?  Asking because mine arrived with the latter and I’ll be experimenting with dialing them in to my preference sometime soon (ride is a little harsh on some of these Chicago streets).  

Welcome to the boards… I’ve only been here a short time myself, but there is definitely a ton of knowledge and good people populating the site  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dtret said:

Welcome to this fine group of knowledge (excluding me of course)and I will echo the others nice rides. 

Hahaha!!!  Don't exclude yourself!  We're constantly learning and getting that knowledge!  Thanks for the welcome!

13 hours ago, Glen said:

Ok, am I the only one who immediately thought of Leslie Nielsen’s exchange with Priscilla Presley in Naked Gun?

Back on point, beautiful trio you’ve got there, Beaver!  How is your ‘71 lowered?  Did you cut the OE coils or do you have adjustable coil overs?  Asking because mine arrived with the latter and I’ll be experimenting with dialing them in to my preference sometime soon (ride is a little harsh on some of these Chicago streets).  

Welcome to the boards… I’ve only been here a short time myself, but there is definitely a ton of knowledge and good people populating the site  

That's a new one!!! Everyone says "Leave it to Beaver"  But the Naked Gun one is classic Glen with Priscilla on the ladder!!! HAHAH!!!  

As for the lowering...the front came down just by putting the 14x6 rallies with 175/75/14's on them.  The rear has lift coils in it.  I went old school and cut them and brought the rear down over 6" from the lifted height.  It rides smooth as glass.  I'm curious to know if I would have cut stock rear coils if it would have rode this nice. 

Thanks for the warm welcome...it really seems like I found a good place to hang out and talk cars...seems like all good people here!

26 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Hahaha!!!  Don't exclude yourself!  We're constantly learning and getting that knowledge!  Thanks for the welcome!

O I get plenty and I learn a lot from these guys. I give back when I can 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Thanks for the warm welcome...it really seems like I found a good place to hang out and talk cars...seems like all good people here!

You won't find a better group of people here. No attitudes, jerks, etc., just a bunch of people who will bend over backwards to help out. If you get the chance to attend a club event, you'll be even more impressed with the group.

As said above, welcome aboard!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jft69z said:

You won't find a better group of people here. No attitudes, jerks, etc., just a bunch of people who will bend over backwards to help out. If you get the chance to attend a club event, you'll be even more impressed with the group.

As said above, welcome aboard!

I am already getting that vibe...humble car folk!!! Whatever I can do to help...count me in!!!  I am shooting for attending a club event...It's on my goal list!  

• Like 1

Welcome Tony!

Great looking vehicles!

Do the trucks have an in-line 6 engine?

8 minutes ago, stangeba said:

Welcome Tony!

Great looking vehicles!

Do the trucks have an in-line 6 engine?

Thanks Bruce for the welcome & compliment on the rides!

I put a '54 235 straight 6 in the '51.  Mild cam, dual intake, Fenton headers w/straight pipes.  I changed it to open drive line with a 3 speed Saginaw and a Chevy II rear end.  It runs like a champ.  

The '63 had a small block 400 in it.  I couldn't keep that engine cool no matter what I did.  I pulled it and I'm in the process of dropping a Vortec in it.

You probably know this already, but the 400 has a special head gasket compared to the other small blocks. It has steam holes in it that match the steam holes in the 400 specific heads. If the gasket is not lined up properly or 350 gaskets were installed it would cause a hot/overheating 400. Was very common back in the day and that's why 400s were not liked. Now they can be the base of a killer small block. Ahhhh knowledge! Lolol

51 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

You probably know this already, but the 400 has a special head gasket compared to the other small blocks. It has steam holes in it that match the steam holes in the 400 specific heads. If the gasket is not lined up properly or 350 gaskets were installed it would cause a hot/overheating 400. Was very common back in the day and that's why 400s were not liked. Now they can be the base of a killer small block. Ahhhh knowledge! Lolol

Yessss! Gotta love knowledge!!!  I learned that as I went along...process of elimination...I got tired of dealing with it...LOL!  So pulled it and gave it to a friend that was building a '30's hotrod...😎

• Like 1

I loved the 400 I had in my 71 caprice, loved it so much I still have it on a stand in the garage. I have had this on the stand for over 25 years waiting for the right project.  Thought about it for the monte but gonna stick with the 350. It'll find a home some day.

• Like 1