Beaver in the Desert...

Beaver

14 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I loved the 400 I had in my 71 caprice, loved it so much I still have it on a stand in the garage. I have had this on the stand for over 25 years waiting for the right project.  Thought about it for the monte but gonna stick with the 350. It'll find a home some day.

That is awesome!  Sitting on the stand just waiting for the perfect recipient!!! 

• Like 1

It has sentimental value, the car was purchased new by my mother in law and stayed in the family its entire life. I actually owned the car twice. I bought it back to use power train in a 49 chevy truck that I had purchased but had to get rid of that project due to selling my house at that time but kept motor and transmission. 

2 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

It has sentimental value, the car was purchased new by my mother in law and stayed in the family its entire life. I actually owned the car twice. I bought it back to use power train in a 49 chevy truck that I had purchased but had to get rid of that project due to selling my house at that time but kept motor and transmission. 

I can totally relate to you about sentimental value Steve...I can't wait to hear what it will end up in!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, overdrive said:

Great looking collection you have. Thank you for your service, and welcome aboard. 

Dan 

Thanks for the compliment and the warm welcome Dan.  It was my honor to serve for our country! 

• Like 2

As echoed above, welcome to the forum, you've found the best group of people you'll find anywhere!

Nice collection too!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jft69z said:

As echoed above, welcome to the forum, you've found the best group of people you'll find anywhere!

Nice collection too!

Well put Joe!  You all have made me feel right at home!!! Thanks...Have a great weekend!

Tony, I meant to ask you what you did in the Air Force and where were you stationed.  I also served in the USAF.  I was stationed in Blytheville, Ark. My base is now long abo closed.  It was a SAC (Strategic Air Command) Base.  I know SAC was also eliminated.  I was a Crew Chief on a KC135A air refueling airplane so I did not spend a lot of time in Arkansas.  

Most of my time was spent on Temporary Duty assignments in Spain, England, Southeast Asia and many Pacific islands in support of the Viet Nam war and flying missions over Viet Nam.  

rob

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Tony, I meant to ask you what you did in the Air Force and where were you stationed.  I also served in the USAF.  I was stationed in Blytheville, Ark. My base is now long abo closed.  It was a SAC (Strategic Air Command) Base.  I know SAC was also eliminated.  I was a Crew Chief on a KC135A air refueling airplane so I did not spend a lot of time in Arkansas.  

Most of my time was spent on Temporary Duty assignments in Spain, England, Southeast Asia and many Pacific islands in support of the Viet Nam war and flying missions over Viet Nam.  

rob

That is amazing Rob!!!!  We're Air Force brethren!!! Thanks for your service!!!!!!

My AFSC was an Intelligence Analyst...spent 5 years working under a pineapple field in Hawaii (NO JOKE!!!).  I lived on Hickam AFB.

My last 3 years were here in Tucson at Davis-Monthan AFB...going down-range working counter-narcotics in Central & South America...joint task force missions in the jungles...worked out of the American Embassy in Bogota, Colombia for almost a year too.

Got to do and see a lot of other things as well on special duty assignments...can't say much more than that though...

• Like 3

You two make my USAF experience seem kind of boring, lol. I was a PMEL tech (precision measuring equip. laboratory), where we repaired, calibrated and certified all the test equipment that everyone else used to keep the planes and weapon systems working. Electronic things like voltmeters, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, radar test sets, etc. Spent a couple of years at Keesler AFB in Mississippi where we supported the C-130 Hurricane Hunters for the Gulf of Mexico and southeast. Ended up in Aviano, Italy for the last couple of years where I took over the physical/dimensional part of the lab which focused on instruments that measure pressure, flow, length, heat, altimeter test sets, etc. Even got special training for an AIM 9 Sidewinder missile guidance system calibrator, lol. Sort of like the old 'National Bureau of Standards' type of calibration lab (now the NIST)

It was Cold War Europe at the time, so the main focus was the Russians about 20 minutes away by air, but no big deal. Did get to go TDY a fair amount to Germany, Spain, Sardinia, and a couple of sites in Italy as well. Just saw one of the comm. sites I went TDY to in Sardinia on the 'Mysteries of the Abandoned' show on the Science Channel recently. Place called Mount Limbara, top of a mountain in the northern part of the country. Apparently some type of top secret site, I just remember guys with M-16s, and the 'Deadly Use of Force Authorized' signs everywhere 😲. We didn't stay there too long, lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jft69z said:

You two make my USAF experience seem kind of boring, lol. I was a PMEL tech (precision measuring equip. laboratory), where we repaired, calibrated and certified all the test equipment that everyone else used to keep the planes and weapon systems working. Electronic things like voltmeters, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, radar test sets, etc. Spent a couple of years at Keesler AFB in Mississippi where we supported the C-130 Hurricane Hunters for the Gulf of Mexico and southeast. Ended up in Aviano, Italy for the last couple of years where I took over the physical/dimensional part of the lab which focused on instruments that measure pressure, flow, length, heat, altimeter test sets, etc. Even got special training for an AIM 9 Sidewinder missile guidance system calibrator, lol. Sort of like the old 'National Bureau of Standards' type of calibration lab (now the NIST)

It was Cold War Europe at the time, so the main focus was the Russians about 20 minutes away by air, but no big deal. Did get to go TDY a fair amount to Germany, Spain, Sardinia, and a couple of sites in Italy as well. Just saw one of the comm. sites I went TDY to in Sardinia on the 'Mysteries of the Abandoned' show on the Science Channel recently. Place called Mount Limbara, top of a mountain in the northern part of the country. Apparently some type of top secret site, I just remember guys with M-16s, and the 'Deadly Use of Force Authorized' signs everywhere 😲. We didn't stay there too long, lol

HAHAAH!!! There is nothing boring with what you were doing Joe!!!  I would have liked to have done any of what you and Rob did for the experience!!!

One of things I get bummed about when I think back is that I had never too much interaction with aircrafts...It's funny, I don't know how many times I told people I was in the Air Force, their response is:  "Oh, were you a pilot?"  LOL!  No one really thinks of all the other careers USAF has...totally understandable...I was on AWACS once for an exercise at Nellis AFB...that was a blast...I also got to be aboard something that shouldn't have been in South America...GOOD TIMES!  The perks of having a really good security clearance!!! 

Now I have another Air Force Brother here!!! Thanks for your service Joe!!! 

• Like 1

It was a good job, no doubt. We were in a climate controlled lab so the instrument standards were at a stable temperature & humidity for repeatable calibration purposes. Guess they used to call us the prima donnas, lol.

It led to good job opportunities on the outside though, plus led to some lifelong friendships as I'm sure you've experienced too. Thanks for your service as well, (and the same to all the other vets here).

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

It was a good job, no doubt. We were in a climate controlled lab so the instrument standards were at a stable temperature & humidity for repeatable calibration purposes. Guess they used to call us the prima donnas, lol.

It led to good job opportunities on the outside though, plus led to some lifelong friendships as I'm sure you've experienced too. Thanks for your service as well, (and the same to all the other vets here).

Joe my brother had that job before he retired. He worked at a navy training facility as a civilian contractor. That was the last job he had before retiring.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Joe my brother had that job before he retired. He worked at a navy training facility as a civilian contractor. That was the last job he had before retiring.

Though our tech school was at Lowry AFB in Denver, CO, we did have guys (and women) from other branches of the service as well as foreign students go thru the program. I think the Navy's version was called 'MetCal', short for Metrology and Calibration Program (metrology being the science of measurement).

I remember the Marines were always the sharpest dressed bunch too, made us look like dirtbags, lol. 

• Like 1

Joe,

You Jay and I will have to talk some Air Force experiences at the Chevrolet Nationals in just over a month.

rob

• Like 2

Looking forward to it Rob, time is flying by so fast. Seems like so much to do still, but we'll be there soon.