Lost the dash and driving lights?

MNKid

Hello, I have lost the dash lights and driving lights on my 72. My headlights, break lights, signal lights all still work. I didn’t find any bad fuses in the fuse box.  I did notice I have 15.5v at the battery with the motor running.  Is my regulator bad and did it burn something else out? Thanks!

That's right, do the wiggle test on the light switch pull knob,or turn it left and right. It's a bad contact on the stem. Or replace switch. I found mine at Napa.

Edited by 420ponies
Added content

My first question is always, "What did you change, fix, attempt to do or change or pay someone to do?

Check both sides of the dash lights fuse (the very small, short one in the fuse panel)

The headlight switch must be pulled on, to get power to the one side of the fuse, and if the fuse is good, the other side should light up your test light.

I prefer to touch the fuse holder "metal" not the fuse itself, in case the fuse holder is corroded.

You mention "driving lights" are these AKA parking lights?

I have witnessed "TRUE STORY" a mechanic working on repairing the parking lights on a vehicle years ago and couldn't figure it our. I asked if both light bulbs could be burnt out and he looked at me like I was crazy. Well, guess what, both parking light bulbs were bad and the T/S part of both worked just fine!

I don't remember if you mentioned if the rear tail lights, all 4 of them, work.

I have heard of problems if the wrong H/L switch is used. There are 5 or 7 pins depending on the switch. My 71 used this one with 7. See the "jumper" plate? 

I also added a picture of my H/L switch showing the small spring loaded button you MUST push, to pull the H/L switch knob and shaft out if you do change the switch.

And one more picture showing one of the ground straps. I don't remember where it attaches, one attaches to the parking brake peddle framework.

Good luck!

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG