Passenger side mirror

Crank

Going to install my Xmas present.....OPG mirrors.

Any advice on installing the passenger side mirror would be greatly appreciated. They look to be very good quality. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I put a passenger side mirror on my 70. I really thought about it for a long time but decided I wanted the thing for safety’s sake. 

No problem Denn, as a driver all my life i really get upset when i am backing my car up and have no pass mirror.  But since it was born that way it will stay that way. However from now on all my cars will have them, just for saftey reasons alone, will be worth it.

1 hour ago, willie said:

No problem Denn, as a driver all my life i really get upset when i am backing my car up and have no pass mirror.  But since it was born that way it will stay that way. However from now on all my cars will have them, just for saftey reasons alone, will be worth it.

I’ll count mine as a modification but it will be worth it. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

I’ll count mine as a modification but it will be worth it. 

Smart*ss

We don't count safety items such as passenger side mirrors and 3-point seat belts as modifications 

rob

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

We don't count safety items such as passenger side mirrors and 3-point seat belts as modifications 

rob

That’s good to know. Thanks Rob. 

Ordered my passenger side mirror from Ausley's and should arrive on Friday. I will be using the tutorial from Bruce to help me with the install.  Thanks Bruce!

The two different style gasket or seal base of the mirror caused the most stress for me. The wrong one was already on the mirror and the correct one was somewhere in the box.

Some people, I have heard, never got two, just one correct one.

Inside / under the top of the door skin where the studs go through, waiting for the nuts, MAY already have an area where the holes should be drilled. If you can, look closely to see. If I remember correctly, my holes may have been off slightly but it all worked well.

It is a tight confined space and my fat fingers were a disadvantage trying to start the nuts, that were metric, I think.

Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, stangeba said:

The two different style gasket or seal base of the mirror caused the most stress for me. The wrong one was already on the mirror and the correct one was somewhere in the box.

Some people, I have heard, never got two, just one correct one.

Inside / under the top of the door skin where the studs go through, waiting for the nuts, MAY already have an area where the holes should be drilled. If you can, look closely to see. If I remember correctly, my holes may have been off slightly but it all worked well.

It is a tight confined space and my fat fingers were a disadvantage trying to start the nuts, that were metric, I think.

Enjoy!

That’s good to know. Thanks 

When I installed my passenger side mirror I took a small piece of 1/8” metal stock I believe maybe 3/8” wide. Matched the holes drilled them out and tapped them. Then I put a type of polyurethane sealant to work as an adhesive and tighten down the mounting for the mirror. In the future when I pull the mirror and the bracket off all I have to do is unscrew the screws and the sealant will hold the metal in place so I do not have to take the door panel off.

John S

• Like 1

Wish I'd thought of that plate !!! Sounds perfect.

One thing I did find though, was the machine screw that holds the mirror plate to the stem rusts up really quickly, and yeah, it's metric too. 

Here is a picture of my right side mirror. Mine has two studs that I inserted through the two holes I drilled. My original non-remote LEFT mirror had a plate that attached to the door then you attached the mirror to this plate. My RIGHT mirror matches the look of the LEFT remote mirror on my 71. 

P8230003.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 7/8/2021 at 7:31 AM, stangeba said:

Here is a picture of my right side mirror. Mine has two studs that I inserted through the two holes I drilled. My original non-remote LEFT mirror had a plate that attached to the door then you attached the mirror to this plate. My RIGHT mirror matches the look of the LEFT remote mirror on my 71. 

P8230003.jpg

Bruce, did your mirror actually have the proper angle when done? I think I was one of those people you mentioned who also got ALL the wrong gaskets in the box! No matter how I tried, it was off! Even using the gasket I already had on my old mirror didn't work! I think they sent me the wrong mirror. When I called Ausley's to Inquire, they wouldn't take it back or even make it right. Being in Canada, I just had to suck up that high shipping cost as well. I am stuck with a new mirror I cannot use. Future FOR SALE item! By the way LOVE your car!! 

Jeff 1970 SS454 Black Hardtop

On 5/12/2021 at 11:31 PM, Crank said:

Going to install my Xmas present.....OPG mirrors.

Any advice on installing the passenger side mirror would be greatly appreciated. They look to be very good quality. 

How did the project go? Did they fit?

Jeff 1970 SS454 (Also from Manitoba)