SHOW ME YOUR HEADS!

JP_AstroMan

It would be cool if we post a pic or two of our engine bays...like a car show online. If there is already an identical thread, just ignore this and point me there please. Otherwise, show me your heads!

I am in the very beginning stages...since my 454 in a '72 is obviously not stock I plan to beef it up. Currently it's all cast iron. Heads, intake, and headers are on the horizon. There is a Sniper that came on it and I added the Hyperspark distributor and ignition. Vintage Air also came with it. Cleaned up the wiring mess with some battery blocks. And just installed a new alternator. Would like to clean up the washer fluid pump area since it's not being used. 

PXL_20210513_211635907.jpg

Edited by JP_AstroMan
Just installed Magnecor plug wires.
  • Like 1

Here is my 71 350 4BBL No A/C Monte. All stock but I did modify one thing.....

monte engine 2-001.jpg

• Like 2

Bottom- "Big Red" my 1970 SS, rectangle port 990 heads, solid lifter, pump gas 496.

Middle- My son's 1971, vortec head, roller cam, 355

Top- "Barn find" 1971 402 stock  

IMG_20190824_160039.jpg

IMG_20200504_173318.jpg

IMG_0457.JPG

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I know it’s not what you’re looking for but it’s all I got. Lol

2786B717-F9C0-439E-AB05-9F5DB0367492.jpeg

8641C06B-D3F0-48CB-BC94-7B55DDC79038.jpeg

F218D833-4AF8-4A0A-9F6A-A25CCEB67B0D.jpeg

What's your plan for the engine? I am trying to decide on heads for the 454. Leaning toward EBay heads...reviews are awesome.

35 minutes ago, JP_AstroMan said:

What's your plan for the engine? I am trying to decide on heads for the 454. Leaning toward EBay heads...reviews are awesome.

It’s being rebuilt now. Stock restoration 

6 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Bottom- "Big Red" my 1970 SS, rectangle port 990 heads, solid lifter, pump gas 496.

Middle- My son's 1971, vortec head, roller cam, 355

Top- "Barn find" 1971 402 stock  

IMG_20190824_160039.jpg

IMG_20200504_173318.jpg

IMG_0457.JPG

I really like how you ran your wires along the firewall behind the distributor. What did you use if I may ask...?

11 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

On which car? Lol. All 3 have the factory wire "gutter". You can purchase it aftermarket. 

I have a new wire gutter in the box. Just waiting until i get less lazy to install it. You can purchase them aftermarket, i just cannot remember who has them. 

FYI. I ran Merlin iron heads on mine, and spark plug location was an issue. I was also running factory manifolds. With headers, they were ok.

14 minutes ago, wallaby said:

FYI. I ran Merlin iron heads on mine, and spark plug location was an issue. I was also running factory manifolds. With headers, they were ok.

That's intense. I just started researching what heads to buy and I'm overwhelmed.

JP:

If you're looking for a head suggestion (aluminum), I would recommend Brodix Race Rite, Oval Port, 270 cc intake volume and 115 cc combustion chambers.  They have all the mounting holes for accessories and the stock exhaust port locations.

Unless you're considering over 700 hp in the future, they'll work great on most any 454 combination.

Scott

8 hours ago, Its Just Me said:

JP:

If you're looking for a head suggestion (aluminum), I would recommend Brodix Race Rite, Oval Port, 270 cc intake volume and 115 cc combustion chambers.  They have all the mounting holes for accessories and the stock exhaust port locations.

Unless you're considering over 700 hp in the future, they'll work great on most any 454 combination.

Scott

Thanks for the suggestion. I recently ordered the Trick Flow big block kit. Very similar.

• 2 weeks later...