2021 Western Meet IMPORTANT UPDATE

Hi everyone,

I was recently informed that the committee that organizes the Rumble in the Bay car show that we are planning to attend for this year's Western Meet has lost a few directors. The car show event has now been turned over to the Chamber of Commerce to run it. At this time the only answers we can get regarding this event is that it isn't cancelled but it is doubtful.

In addition to the above there is uncertainty as to whether the border will be open for Canadian members to attend the meet. Of the 28 members on my list planning to attend 14 of them are from Canada. With the attendance cut in half due to the border closure I know of US members who also would cancel further reducing attendance down to 10 or less members.

With that said, we not only have uncertainty with the car show event being held but there is uncertainty with the attendance from members. The Rumble in the Bay event isn't even my main concern. If the border was no issue I would simply carry on with our meet at the hotel and add another cruise and activities. We would still make a fun weekend out of it since, as those of you who attended a meet before know, it's more about us getting together rather than the car show we attend.

I am not cancelling the Western Meet yet but I want to keep people updated since some of you are travelling long distances and are already planning the trip. I will be keeping my reservation at the hotel for now. Even if circumstances don't allow it to be an official Western Meet I'll be there if possible to spend time with my FGMCC family.

FURTHER UPDATES POSTED BELOW.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you!

Aaron

Thanks for the update Aaron. I will continue planning until I hear the event is definitely cancelled. No worries, the EM is close enough we can plan last minute if needed. 

In order for myself and other Canadians to attend the meet we will likely be required to be fully vaccinated. I would need to get my second dose of the vaccine by mid-August. I just got my first dose last week and it is very possible I could have my second dose within three months. Many other members got their first dose before me due to being older than me so it is looking like they could have their second dose by then. It is still a moving target and hard to say but I still have some optimism that we can pull this off.

This meet is not cancelled, please stay tuned for updates.

Thanks for staying on top of this Aaron.  I hope you are able to Git Er Done.

rob

• 2 weeks later...

I just received an email confirming there will be no Rumble in the Bay car show this year and to be honest that's not too big of a deal. If the US/Canada border is open we'll have over 30 members there from 10 states and 5 provinces. There's a lot of great scenery and places for us to cruise. Each week I hear good news with decreasing case counts and increased vaccine rollout in Canada which will only further add pressure to open the border. I'll keep you updated.

I won't post a dancing banana until the border is open. 😀

This meet is not cancelled. I suggest you hang on to your hotel rooms until we know for sure what is happening.

The hotel is also under new ownership and I am expecting to hear from them soon regarding cancellation policies and other matters. I will be sure to let everyone know this info as soon as I do so people are aware of critical dates. :)

We don't need Rumble in the Bay to have a great Western Meet, we just need this...

35240204_1717103815011037_79567253774123

20861928_1387786274623764_8559043530043011924_o (1).jpg

small.IMG_0638.jpg.0482469aae639f72a8722

DP017.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/2/2021 at 3:17 PM, Canuck said:

The hotel is also under new ownership and I am expecting to hear from them soon regarding cancellation policies and other matters. I will be sure to let everyone know this info as soon as I do so people are aware of critical dates. :)

The new hotel owners are very easy to work with and accommodating. We have until 48 hours before arrival to cancel with no charge due to the unknowns with the border. Much better than the prior owner contract. :)

• Like 2

Today’s news regarding the border. No timeline yet but there is certainly growing pressure to open it. It is sounding a lot more promising than when I started this post. I’m not getting into the politics of the pandemic but for those of us in Canada it appears that we will need to be fully vaccinated in order to have a chance to attend the meet.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2021/06/08/canada-us-border-restrictions-will-be-loosened-first-for-those-who-are-fully-vaccinated-justin-trudeau-says.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

As stated before, since about half of members coming to the meet are from Canada the border regulations will have a significant impact on the meet. I’m keeping a close eye on the border situation as a result.

I saw a headline (I don't read national news) that said something about "limited" border opening between the US and Canada. Keeping my fingers crossed! 

• Like 2

It appears that the US side will be opening its border soon allowing Canadians to travel to the US. This may be implemented as soon as June 22nd. Upon coming back to Canada, Canadians will be allowed back through. There could be a covid test when coming to Canada and requirement to self isolate at home for 2 or 3 days until the test passes but even that requirement may be lifted by September. I suggest that you get your second shot as early as it is available to you so that you are fully vaccinated to go through the border. It’s looking good folks!

Hmmm, is it dancing banana time?… not quite yet but soon!

This banana will be dancing all the way to Big Fork! Oh, and so will my banana-ette! 

WOOT! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, certainly not ideal news. I’ll be considering all our options and will be in touch.

• Like 1

THE LOCATION OF THE MEET IS NO LONGER IN MONTANA. IT HAS BEEN CHANGED DUE TO BORDER RESTRICTIONS IMPOSED BEYOND OUR CONTROL. THERE WILL BE ANOTHER POST WITH INFORMATION REGARDING THE NEW LOCATION.

The US government extended the land border closure with Canada to August 21st. Without the large number of members attending from Canada the meet in Montana would have very few members causing us to cancel the meet altogether. We moved the meet to a Canadian location in order to make sure we can even have a Western Meet this year.

• Canuck locked this topic