What am i doing wrong

willie

Hey guys i got all the wires sorted out and accounted for. I must have something wrong though.   I did get the engine to spin, from the key switch. It has a neutral safety switch in the console that i jumped to make it spin. ( car has nothing there, Cab is empty )   The problem i have is the car will NOT start. It has no juice at the plugs. So i backed up to the coil. Coil has juice at both sides of the coil only when i am trying to start her. IS THAT RIGHT? The coil is from a parts car, so not sure its good. How do i check the coil?   What side should the dist wire go to?

Thx for the help guys

Willie, if I'm looking at the diagram correctly it looks like a yellow wire from the "R" terminal to the positive terminal on the coil. The negative terminal on the coil to the distributor.  

Willie, do you have both the resistor wire from the bulkhead and the wire from the starter R terminal running to the coil? The wire coming from the R terminal gives full 12V to the coil when cranking, but it needs the reduced voltage coming from the resistor wire the rest of the time.

I have the wire on the (-) side from the dist.     I have 2 wires that are connected into one terminal on the + side 1) red and 1) cloth covered with a white wire. Not sure why, the dash does not have a tach or SS gauges.

I am thinking coil is bad or points are shot. I will have to get in there tomm and see.

Tkx

1) 1970 Engine Compartment Wiring.jpg

Make sure your wiring matches this. It's for a 1970 but the coil wiring should be identical no matter which year yours is. Test for continuity on the wire going from the coil to the fusebox. I would suspect that first if you only get power when cranking.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, after getting back to her it turned out to be a few different issues. The wiring was screwed up as we knew, the coil was bad, i also changed the points. Still didnt start, it spun but no start.  So i moved to the fuel, it had a fuel pump that was loaded with those mud wasps, so i changed the pump. now i had spark to the plugs and fuel to the carb. Still no start, This car has been sitting for about 8 or 9 years. Turns out i got her running today. The carb was for a 350 truck. i put one of my 454 carbs on it today and started right up. :yay::yay::yay: All good in Willies World!!!!  Now i just have to put everything back together.  lol

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!!!

• Like 4

Good job Willie! Just takes time and patience...and usually money, lots of it.

Dennis sorry to say it is NOT the one i on the patio. LOL   i am sure i will start hearing about that soon.

Aaron i LOVE the dancing Bananas, and i use them as much as i can.   LOL

Joe you are 100% correct, just not in that order. Should be money, money, money, patience, time.   LOL

Paul, ooohhh yes there will be a next thing for sure!!

• Like 1