Driveshaft install..

1Bad454

44 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

BFH! Lolol. Sorry , had to. What do you mean? Won't go into the trans? With the rear end hanging it's too long? 

It won't go into the transmission... I had to give up for the day. First I couldn't manually turn my motor to set it to TDC (turned fine to line up the torque converter the other day). But now that the transmission is bolted up it won't turn.. Story of my life..

You’re describing two different issues. 1-The motor will not turn. 2- The driveshaft won’t slide into the transmission. 1. Make sure flexplate is not on backwards and torque converter bolts are not to long. 2 not sure. Wrong yoke on shaft ?

The motor was turning fine. I turned it to install the torque converter bolts but now for some reason it's not turning. Maybe it's on a compression stroke. I'm just afraid to break off the crank bolt so I'm not getting too crazy with trying to turn it. I plan on hooking a starter up to it. I'm wondering if it might be in gear. In regards to the driveline I've pulled them out before and put them back in with no issues. However not with a fresh rebuilt transmission. I'm thinking that maybe the tolerances are too tight? 

24 minutes ago, Dtret said:

If you can’t turn it by hand DO NOT I repeat DO NOT hook the starter up. Figure out what the issue is first. PLEASE. PRETTY PLEASE 

That's real good advice! Even if it was on the compression stroke at the time, it should bleed down quickly and allow you to try turning it again in a short time. Something is not right if it won't turn, don't use the starter to spin it. 

• Like 1

As far as the driveshaft yoke not sliding into the transmission. You say it was rebuilt could the bushing that was installed in the Tailshaft housing be too tight. Sometimes if that bushing is difficult to drive into the tail shaft housing it can compress the bushing and decrease the inside diameter of the bushing not allowing the driveshaft to slide through it. I have installed those bushings two ways lightly tapping with a hammer and a bushing driver and I have also used liquid nitrogen or dry ice to freeze the bushing before installation it makes it easier.

John S

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

The motor was turning fine. I turned it to install the torque converter bolts but now for some reason it's not turning. Maybe it's on a compression stroke. I'm just afraid to break off the crank bolt so I'm not getting too crazy with trying to turn it. I plan on hooking a starter up to it. I'm wondering if it might be in gear. In regards to the driveline I've pulled them out before and put them back in with no issues. However not with a fresh rebuilt transmission. I'm thinking that maybe the tolerances are too tight? 

It doesn’t matter if it’s in gear automatic transmissions work on fluid pressure. Engine will always turn. Retrace your steps back. Remove the last torque converter bolt you put in and manually turn the engine backwards. If the bolt loosens pull the plugs and put a strap wrench on the balancer and then go backwards to get the other bolts out. When you get all three out push the converter towards the transmission and then the engine should spin free. Look at the flexplate the bolt holes for the converter should be recessed towards the transmission 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

Guys my drive shaft will not go in.. Any suggestions?

Lube... lotsa lube. 

And then constant reminders so she never forgets what you’re capable of. 

2 hours ago, Grant MacPherson said:

sounds like the converter is not lined up with the pump, did you have trouble mointing trans to engine?

When I installed the converter I stood the transmission up and rotated the converter until it dropped in. I then lined up the tranny, bolted up the torque converter and tightened the bell housing bolts. I guess I'll pull it apart again and check things out.  

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

It doesn’t matter if it’s in gear automatic transmissions work on fluid pressure. Engine will always turn. Retrace your steps back. Remove the last torque converter bolt you put in and manually turn the engine backwards. If the bolt loosens pull the plugs and put a strap wrench on the balancer and then go backwards to get the other bolts out. When you get all three out push the converter towards the transmission and then the engine should spin free. Look at the flexplate the bolt holes for the converter should be recessed towards the transmission 

Thanks Dennis I'll try that. 

8 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

When I installed the converter I stood the transmission up and rotated the converter until it dropped in. I then lined up the tranny, bolted up the torque converter and tightened the bell housing bolts. I guess I'll pull it apart again and check things out.  

IIRC when you put the converter in, there's 3 clicks to get it to seat properly.  I didn't see you mention that, I'm sure someone will chime in with the proper language.

To eliminate compression pull a spark plug or two. 

• Like 2

Ok, aftermarket bellhousing is thicker to be sfi approved. Is the flywheel touching the new bellhousing? You may have to remove a little aluminum from the bellhousing to let the flywheel move freely. Common issue especially when a 168 tooth flexplate is being used. 

• Like 2

Thank you all! It was the converter. I unbolted it and turned it a few times and it went all the way in. 

Now on to getting the driveshaft installed.......... TBC!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1Bad454 said:

Thank you all! It was the converter. I unbolted it and turned it a few times and it went all the way in. 

Now on to getting the driveshaft installed.......... TBC!

Sweet. Well done 

• Like 1

Is your differential supported or hanging ????

It tends to sway forward when you support the car by the frame..... Shortening the distance between the transmission and differential. try putting jacks up the differential. 

The rear end hanging had nothing to do with the yoke going into the transmission. But when he gets it in the transmission then you have a valid point with hooking up to the rear end