Sat for a couple years, now trans feels weird?

astrochimp

Finally got everything done that's been on the list since forever. I think car sat for almost 2 years. I changed the oil and filter but not the trans fluid. It's pink and full on the dipstick.

Usually, you put it into reverse with brake on and you feel it engag right away and let foot off pedal and it goes. 
Now, you put it into reverse and don't feel anything and let foot off pedal and it doesn't do much until you give it gas. I've only driven it for about half a mile so far going 25mph.

Trans was rebuilt like 20k miles ago and torqu converter is about 8k miles old. 

I didn't change the trans fluid but this seems very weird. Maybe it just need to be driven and the issue will go away?

Thanks for any INFO :2beers:

41 minutes ago, astrochimp said:

Finally got everything done that's been on the list since forever. I think car sat for almost 2 years. I changed the oil and filter but not the trans fluid. It's pink and full on the dipstick.

Usually, you put it into reverse with brake on and you feel it engag right away and let foot off pedal and it goes. 
Now, you put it into reverse and don't feel anything and let foot off pedal and it doesn't do much until you give it gas. I've only driven it for about half a mile so far going 25mph.

Trans was rebuilt like 20k miles ago and torqu converter is about 8k miles old. 

I didn't change the trans fluid but this seems very weird. Maybe it just need to be driven and the issue will go away?

Thanks for any INFO :2beers:

Maybe get the trans fluid good and warm. Maybe the fluid in the convertor is gummed up a bit. Not totally sure. Good luck 

Also, just in case, for those who do not know, always check the trans fluid hot like cny first gen 71 stated but also in park. Not neutral. The GM trans pump fluid in park. 

Im not sure how relevant or helpful this may be but a friend had an old truck that wouldnt move without the throttle. You could feel the transmission engage but the vehicle wouldnt move without throttle. He had a brake shoe hanging up and causing friction in the driveline. Just a thought. 

• Like 1