Steel front fenders from OPGI

RODS70BB

49 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Their description reads 70-72. That’s a problem if you’re doing it correctly 

I agree, what I would like to see is the back/inside of these. If anyone has purchased them maybe they could shed more light on this. Thanks for the replies.

59 minutes ago, MC-71 said:

Do they really have them in stock?

Doesn’t look like it. Restoparts looks like the supplier and they don’t have them either.

Nobody has seen these yet and it is unknown if we ever will. Sometimes items get put in catalogs that are not available for years if ever. The quality is also being questioned based on the company manufacturing them. Some say you may be better off repairing original ones than trying to get the reproduction ones to fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Nobody has seen these yet and it is unknown if we ever will. Sometimes items get put in catalogs that are not available for years if ever. The quality is also being questioned based on the company manufacturing them. Some say you may be better off repairing original ones than trying to get the reproduction ones to fit.

That is my concern. I’ve read somewhere that the dies for the fenders were destroyed. If that is truly the case then someone has made a substantial investment in die’s. And if that is the case then I believe they will eventually come to market. Time will tell. It would be nice to have a source for a quality replacement.

• 4 weeks later...

I was checking on some NOS ones from parts place and here is the response i got back.

PP:  Sorry we do not have any more, repros should be coming out soon

ME:Thank you for your reply do you have a guesstimate on the repos.

PP:Literally any time now, we sold out of NOS in anticipation of repros

31 minutes ago, Brew said:

The lower fender patch OPGI sells is a piece of galvanized crap imo. 

You’re right. But in OPGI’s defense it’s the same piece of crap that everyone else sells. Ask me how I know. I think I’m going to make a dustpan out of mine. lol 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, willie said:

LOL  Thats exactly how Leo explained it to me when i bought them from him. No one is happy with any of them.

I got one from him. He told me the same thing before I got it that it was a piece of crap 💩. He’s one honest man. I’d buy from him any day 

I’ll agree with some of it. But there are more reasons than that. A company may have an original dye for a fender but after you press out a thousand fenders you will notice the lines aren’t as crisp as the first one. The dye is worn out. And now some of them same oe dyes are being used to make today’s aftermarket parts 

Not to mention a lot of it may be from offshore. Nearly every aftermarket part I had used when I did the '72 needed to be modified to fit, or tweaked in some way. I'm calling BS on most of their explanations too. It's not that our cars are 50 years old, or we did too many modifications...the parts just aren't the same quality or exact dimensions as the original parts.

Then you try to listen to the insurance companies tell you that the aftermarket CAPA certified body parts are great. BS there too.

• 2 weeks later...

They actually make a nice patch panel now for the 68 69 cutlass fenders around $100.

That's why I hope these come out, atleast we will have some good patch panels made somewhat correct. 

NOS fenders will skyrocket in price once the replacement comes out. People hold out then are dissatisfied with the aftermarket pieces and Drives original and NOS through the roof.  It's happened with several other cars on various parts. Heck even a NOS set of 70 chevelle fenders are $3500+

8 hours ago, Jared Richey said:

They actually make a nice patch panel now for the 68 69 cutlass fenders around $100.

That's why I hope these come out, atleast we will have some good patch panels made somewhat correct. 

NOS fenders will skyrocket in price once the replacement comes out. People hold out then are dissatisfied with the aftermarket pieces and Drives original and NOS through the roof.  It's happened with several other cars on various parts. Heck even a NOS set of 70 chevelle fenders are $3500+

I know that’s true. I drove to south of St Louis to pick these up for my chevelle 

D45504B4-DCB8-445D-B072-B251F1C16938.jpeg

53 minutes ago, willie said:

Hey Dennis is that the Chevelle closet?    Looks like you have plenty more room to put stuff in.

Funny. But yes I’ll admit it. But it actually a  community closet right now. Plump full of Monte parts. All the other closets are full. Lol. PS I don’t think she’s very happy about it. Kinda like you and the patio. 

• Like 1

Funny. But yes I’ll admit it. But it actually a  community closet right now. Plump full of Monte parts. All the other closets are full. Lol. PS I don’t think she’s very happy about it. Kinda like you and the patio.  

LOL  I look at it this way Dennis, I still have my Harem of cars. However no parts are allowed in the house.   LOL OK!!

Even the NOS stuff might not fit that great. As the above post indicates cars weren't built to the same standards as today. I worked as a mechanic in an OLDS/Cadillac dealer in the 70s that had a body shop, between boxing, shipping and general disregard for quality most parts needed work to fit well. Sometimes I wondered if the line reject panels were sent to the service depot. When I restored my 70 SS MC I was still able to buy all GM parts from rear filler to the front fenders except the passenger door. The part that required the least work to fit to the car was the junk yard door I used, just a trip to the dip shop and a couple of rust pin holes to fill. Forty years latter and the car still looks good but is getting some freshening up while I change it from a straight line beast to a more touring type car. Just an FYI I currently contract work to an international known test lab and the local location pre fits aftermarket repair panels to newer vehicles so when /if we start restoring cars from the 2000s or so the parts might be better.

rotin