FRONT COLI OVER SHOCKS?

Hey All,

Considering adding Coil Overs on the front end and was interested in hearing what those who had done or had another do this conversion.  Not versed in this technology and looking for some guidance.  I will likely have this done but 1st attempting to determine what my need is.

I replaced front wheels (were 15X7 Rally 4 1/4" back space) that worked great, no problems rubbing or otherwise for years.  Replaced fronts with 15X8 4" back spacing Rally's using same tires and depending on terrain, uneven surfaces on a turn, wheel will sometimes rub and worse with 2 in the car but not critical.  When I replaced my 350 CI with the now 402 CI I never replaced the 350 springs and car sits lower in a stance I like but believe is now interfering particularly when making a fairly sharp turn with new wheels.  I am looking at raising the front around 1/2" to 1" depending on need as I believe it is the height that is causing the rubbing (top of tire rubbing Inner Fender where attached at Fender).  Handling has been slightly worse since going to the wider 245X60 Series tires and was wondering if Coil Overs aid this problem or should front end be rebuilt at same time?  Again, this is not but an annoyance at intervals compensating for over steer.   So, ride height and any improvement on steerability/stability is my only goal.  The Performance is primary but not for Baja, Racing or just off road.  I am looking at Single Stage!  What would you suggest?  Other suggestions I got were adding those doo dads between current Springs to gain height if that would solve problem but if true, I don't like that...............  

I have done some searching and see there are those with a more complete Kit (Upper/Lower A/Frames) or just the Coil Overs.  Again what is the difference?  Sure I am missing some other details but getting the Ball Rolling..................:2beers:

Early stages so Plan can change depending on what is learned.  I need to investigate tire clearance to fully understand, waiting for my Grandson to come over having another in the Car turning the wheel while I touchy feely................:B

Doug

14 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Why don’t you just put in a pair of “big block “ springs 

I felt if going that deep into the Suspension, might as well be able to somewhat Tune Suspension as a benefit.

Doug

The prior owner of my SS had his mechanic install QA1 coil overs at all four corners. I have the receipt which also lists two hours labor to dial it in “correctly”.

She sits real pretty with no rubbing issues (on stock 15” rally wheels). These coil overs are their more expensive model as they allow multiple adjustments for compression AND rebound (21 increments each control rings a bell). I plan on playing with these settings when I start my vacation, but I don’t plan on adjusting the height at all; my only complaint is that she seems to ride just a tad too stiff.  I’ll see what happy medium I can find without going too soft / causing contact with the bump stop.

This said, I just discovered that the springs were rubbing through my rear brake lines on compression. The mechanic who installed them obviously didn’t notice this potential based on how much clearance there appeared to be when it was on the rack when he installed them… but it is obviously a whole different story when the car is on the ground under load. Visit QA1.net for some pretty detailed info on coil overs vs. traditional suspensions.   

I shared the brake line pix in another thread the other day. The other pix show how deceiving clearances can be. Hope this helps your decision. 

88618FDC-CC28-4A46-ADAE-548DAB7D59A1.png

F4FE9568-B81E-4B1C-AB99-8F042CAFAF72.png

81002EB3-C2F2-4228-A93A-C589B21FFB2D.png

5C3BCDBF-10AD-482F-80DE-5FA6EC2FA2DC.png

9D8C110E-048B-41A1-A727-FEB5D4305B9A.png

789581C8-8D90-46DD-A88C-E268FA13F110.png

750F839D-C4C0-4B90-8CBF-F1041DF45D1E.png

F1240C1A-7E2E-4A3C-B42A-3E93922E82ED.png

Forgot to add pix of the fronts. I don’t have any pictures with the front tires off, but when I do the brakes I will take some pictures so you get a better idea of how they fit. 

D5D0F009-7248-4429-8CA1-8B79176C3687.png

4BDA2418-573C-4BA3-BBCF-ED27FACED934.png

A87BB813-5F9D-43F4-B8AC-42ACD1396415.png

C8B6335A-3F99-4116-B908-284F8AD2B9E3.png

AA143889-9669-4176-BE05-2A22F208750F.png

I have the Viking coil overs on all four corners.  I bought mine directly from viking they were great to deal with...  The main thing you can adjust the height of the car bottom line. You can do that with coil springs to a point but thats a PITA and you can't change it back to and forth or readjust.  You can use the coil over from viking with stock control arms if you want. The rears bring the bottom shock mounts inward to the dif about 1.5 inches on each side . Thats good for getting a fatter tire back there. That was a bonus I did not know about.  

I run 245/60-15 in front  and 295/50/15 in back.  good luck

• Like 1

Thanx for the Info guys. :2beers:  My plan is to just do the Fronts as the Rears are no problem.  The Adjustable Coil Overs look interesting for height.  Saw a U Tube video😁

I still need to investigate to determine what/where the issues are.  Short term I might screw a couple of those doo dads between the Coils and then drive her around and see what if anything changed.  If it solves my problem, I still want to make this conversion even though the issue was resolved.  If money were a problem they would work fine but if a more robust and more dependable way exists, I will feel better knowing it is there.:doh:  My Son is going to help me tomorrow determining clearances by turning steering wheel while I fish around looking for problems after my Grandsons Baseball Game.

I will provide update(s) once I have discovered direction needed to go.  Once again, appreciate your detailed input Guys and for the Pic's Glen.  I see there are a lot of options to choose from :B.  Gonna have to do some studying..................

Doug  

I'm also a fan of the ViKing front coil overs. I have the dual adjustable fronts on my Chevelle and they are great. Made in the US (Minnesota) and the best value out there.

Give them a call, they are great to work with and will set you up with what you need.

If I put a big block in my Monte, it will be a no-brainer to swap out to ViKing coil-overs as part of the project.

Let us know what you do.

Scott

I would get 8" wide wheels with a 4.25" or 4.5" backspace to center the wheel in the wheel well. Corvette wheels typically cause issues unless the car is raised. Wheel Vintiques and Jegs have rally wheels available, Wheel Vintiques in 4.5" backspacing and Jegs in 4.25" backspacing (but also a dual bolt pattern).

• Like 1

Checked the tire/wheel clearances moving wheel hard right & hard left with NO rubbing sitting.  But the clearance at the Top of the Wheels is tight and evidenced rubbing on tire tread driver side.  So, my suspicion was correct, it's height!  So, definitely looking at Adjustable Coil Overs on Front.  Will do some research and then Post what I am considering for your Input before I buy.

Appreciate your guys thoughts on the subject.......................😁

Doug

• 1 month later...

I just put Viking coilovers on the front of mine tonight and the smooth body Viking Warrior double adjustable on the rear. 
Are the front ones on anyone else’s car next to impossible to adjust the ride height on?   So hard to get any turn on the spanner  wrench unless I am doing something wrong.  

16 hours ago, 7tonemonte said:

I just put Viking coilovers on the front of mine tonight and the smooth body Viking Warrior double adjustable on the rear. 
Are the front ones on anyone else’s car next to impossible to adjust the ride height on?   So hard to get any turn on the spanner  wrench unless I am doing something wrong.  

Use lots of never-sieze on the threaded shock body. Are you adjusting it on the ground, or with the wheels in the air? I tried adjusting a car while the suspension was loaded and it's much harder to turn the collar. 

4 hours ago, GatorDog72 said:

Use lots of never-sieze on the threaded shock body. Are you adjusting it on the ground, or with the wheels in the air? I tried adjusting a car while the suspension was loaded and it's much harder to turn the collar. 

In the air.  Mostly an issue getting the spanner in there

I want to convert my rear brakes but probably need a whole new rear end.

the money pit has reached its limit for this year. ☹️

Good info in this thread. Thanks

To recap, Front end to Low and tires rub with new 15x8, 4" back space by Wheel Vintiques Rally Wheels on front.  Previously 15X 7, 4 1/4" back spacing Rally's.  I was interested in the Front Coil Overs and had discussed with Viking.  I wasn't convinced they were the ones needed as he kept referring to Chevelle.  When I asked about the Lower HD A Arm, he said it wasn't needed but I have been informed from others it would be a good idea and when he said around 4 weeks out, I decided at this point to add the Coil Shims to gain height.  Put one on each front coil along with the one set already installed and brought front end up well more than had expected.  My Rake is gone but front end is not pointing into the sky and sits decent for now.  So, this is where I am at currently.  I would still like to do Coil Overs but will wait until Winter for that project.

Doug

23 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

What you basically did with the 15x8 rim was move the front tires out, 1 1/4 inches. That's why they rubbed. 

Yes Sir, that is what happened.  Now have to get the Steering adjusted as steering wheel won't align to center and in process, broke the Horn Button! :doh:

Now gotta search for that item.  Doesn't appear to be easily found. :B

Doug