I Just Noticed

Those who have been going to our Eastern Meets and Mini-Meets in Carlisle for many years will know this.  When I hosted our first Carlisle Eastern Meet back in 2005 it the Carlisle Events show was called the "GM Nationals".  About 5 years ago they changed the name of this show to the  "Chevrolet Nationals".  I noticed a definite decline in the attendance at this show.  I mentioned to Carlisle Events at that time that I felt they should return the name back to GM Nationals. but they said they had hired a consulting/advertising company who had suggested the "Chevrolet Nationals" name and it encouraged more participation and sponsorship money from Chevrolet.  

When I originally registered for this show it was still called the Chevrolet Nationals.  I don't know how many of you who are going and have receive your gate pass window sticker but it is now back to being billed as the "GM NATIONALS".  I think this is a good move on their part and will pay off in more participation but other brands.

I say by other brands because when I would try to talk some of my friends with Buicks, Pontiac's, Old's and Caddy's about coming to the Chevrolet Nationals they felt the show was a Chevrolet Only cars.  I feel this name change was a great idea.

For those going this year to the GM Nationals, I have learned that we will be sharing our hotel with the Pontiac Fiero club.  I think they will have as many cars there as we will have Monte Carlo's.  From what I have heard from the president of that club, they will have something like 135 Fiero's there because they are hosting their annual meet there.  Since the Fiero is a 2-seater they may be a younger audience..... they will be able to see what a true Gentleman's Luxury Coupe/Muscle car is.

rob

• Like 1

That's awesome about the Fiero Club staying there. My Dad absolutely loves Fieros and drives me crazy talking about them and how he always wanted one. He will have a good time for sure. 😀

• Like 1

Yes Rob    I thought that strange too...it was the "GM" nationals, with a wonderful collection of all things GM-you name it- montes ,great old grand prix,vintage caddys and impalas, ... buick grand nationals    (hi Willie)  name change didn't make sense...like renaming Ford natls the "country squire nat'ls"(wow that sounds exciting)  anyway I'm glad its back to GM natls-only make sense...see everyone in couple weeks!!!   Brian

16 hours ago, 502ci said:

That's awesome about the Fiero Club staying there. My Dad absolutely loves Fieros and drives me crazy talking about them and how he always wanted one. He will have a good time for sure. 😀

You should show your dad this restoration series of an 85 Fiero if he hasn't seen it already. Great series.

Being both a MC owner and a Oldsmobile owner, BOP (Buick Olds Pontiac) owners, I guess along with Cadillac, feel very abandoned by GM, especially the two dead divisions. My friends and I used to have Monte Carlos vs Oldsmobiles count contest at a show, loser (they did Olds, I did Monte Carlo) bought the ice cream. Most everything is overwhelmingly Chevy. I took the 72 on the Power Tour a couple years ago, and I was in a neat spot of being rare, but respected by all the Chevy guys, much more so than the Olds dudes.