Chrome trim under 70 headlight

Gregs70

Hey Monte family i have a question about the chrome trim under the headlight on the 70, I was just curious because i don't seem to see it very often, was it a early option like the 70 Chevelle? or was it common and people just removed it 

10.jpg

My 70 is a late built (June 1970) Baltimore plant and it has it.  I know as some plants ran out they didn't reorder so they left them off.  In other cases I feel they were removed for whatever reason and not reinstalled. 

rob

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, montebob70 said:

One man's stupid opinion. Looks better without it. Unless your doing a restoration.

Bob

Bob, Not a stupid opinion, just an opinion.  Personally I feel it is one of those things that set's the 70 apart from the 71/72 and helps to make the 70 special, just like the the front fenders being different, the instrument panel lighting and numerous other things.  My non-stupid opinion is it looks great.  Just like the differing opinions on what make us special, differing items on each year are what make each year special.

rob

• Like 2

Also Bob, when you remove the chrome trim on a factory installed trim car the holes where it mounts are huge compared to a non chrome trim car.  The headlight bezels are actually different where the lower portion mounts. 

My 70 was built in March of 1970 in Flint, MI. It doesn’t have the chrome under the headlights, but I wish it did. I personally like the look.

F1C725ED-60F8-4AE2-AB1B-B58BDA3D1594.jpeg

My 70 has them, but didn’t notice as they’ve been painted Shadow Grey to match the car somewhere along the way. I would’ve never known about these had I not read this thread. 

7EDBA5F7-B559-47BD-BB9C-06380244EC06.jpeg

C0AC1A4F-EB3B-4393-8C4F-845F81601807.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

My '70 was assembled in Flint in Sept/70, and has them too...

Montelishi2.jpg

More than likely Sept 69.  SEPT 70 was when 71's were released

• Like 1

Pretty..... 

Nope, she was assembled in '70. Got the vin # checked, and an assortment of '71/ end of '70 run bits and pieces. 

The grill emblem was original, but read vxxi. on an egg crate grill. 

She's pretty close to the last of her batch. :)

Scott, the last of the 1970 Monte Carlo's were built I think in July of 1970.  As a matter of fact, I think some of the factories were shut down the end of June to retool.  The assembly line was then shut down and retooled for the 1971 assembly run.

If you did not buy your car new I would have to assume that someone over the years may have either wrecked it and purchased parts he could find or it may not have been wrecked but someone may have purchased items they liked better from other years.

One of the reasons I say this is looking at the picture I see what looks like a 1972 hood ornament which would not have been available in September of 1970.

When you say you had the VIN checked how was that check run.  Do you have any dealer paperwork.  Could you take a picture of the body tag that shows the paint codes and other information and either post it here or email it to me it may shed some light on this.  Being a flint built car you would not be able to find a build sheet but there are other ways we can help you verify your information.  Is there still a sticker on the inside of the drivers door near the door latch?  If yes that would also have an assembly date on it.  

Being that the fenders, radiator core support and the fender extensions are all different on the 70 than they were on the 71 it is hard to figure how that many 70 parts could still be out on the assembly line because each of these parts would come from a different area and since they would not match 71 parts it further makes it hard to figure how a build date of September 70.

Please don't feel I am calling you a liar, what it is is that things like this interest me a lot and I love to get to the bottom of things like this.

Rob

• Like 3

Hey Rob, I'm still sifting through all the information I've accumulated since I bought her two years ago.... So any clarity I can get is more that welcome !!!

I'm finding a lot of things were wrong/slapped together, leading me to question her origins and the abilities of those who had there hands on her prior to me. :(

As soon as I get a chance, I'll get a picture of the tag and send you a copy. Here's a few more pictures that might be helpful..... As you can see, she's in the middle of a body make over.

Thanks for all the insights you can give me..... Glad I found you guys/gals on the site !!!

Resized_20210612_155010_8848.jpg

Montelishi1.jpg

Montelishi8.jpg

Resized_20210612_155030_7882.jpg

Resized_20210612_155156_5130.jpg

8 hours ago, Scott S. said:

Hey Rob, the VIN# is 138570F132861 ... if that helps. 

Thanks again, Scott.

Scott,

The VIN is telling us that it is a Flint MI plant built car which means you won't find a Build Sheet.  A build sheet would have told us the build date.  The last 6 numbers of the VIN may help to somewhat isolate the build date ONLY if other members with Flint built cars have a firm build date of their car and the last 6 numbers of the VIN are fairly close to yours.

The best way will be the body tag.ll

rob

Hi Rob.....

No such luck, the tag was removed prior to the last paint job. 

I was just wondering.... Didn't the strike in '69 push back the release of the '70 line of Monte Carlos as well ??

The second gen Camaros/Firebirds weren't released April of '70, once the over production of the '69 body style was cleared out. 

Scott.

I think I can see the body tag through the hood hinge when the car was/is green. That’s the tag Rob is referring to. Possibly just my eyes. Not to good at my age. 

7 hours ago, Scott S. said:

Hi Rob.....

No such luck, the tag was removed prior to the last paint job. 

I was just wondering.... Didn't the strike in '69 push back the release of the '70 line of Monte Carlos as well ??

The second gen Camaros/Firebirds weren't released April of '70, once the over production of the '69 body style was cleared out. 

Scott.

I ordered my 70 Monte Sept 20th 1969  The Flint plant went on strike so 10 weeks later I received my Monte for the Van Nuys plant in Cali

7 hours ago, Dtret said:

I think I can see the body tag through the hood hinge when the car was/is green. That’s the tag Rob is referring to. Possibly just my eyes. Not to good at my age. 

There's a tag there, but it doesn't really have any meaning to it. I was looking for the tag on the door jam, but it's gone. Can still see some of the glue residue under the paint. :(

Hi Larry,

According to the profile I got from registries, She was originally sold by Edmonton Motors in October '70..... Then moved to Ontario in the later '70's.

I bought her from a dealership in Sudbury in '19 and had her shipped out to me. Having had the paint stripped, it looks like she's had a couple shades of green, but anything that still has the original coat looks like it's never been apart.... (door hinges and such) 

So she's still pretty solid for a 50 year old !!! :)

7 hours ago, Scott S. said:

There's a tag there, but it doesn't really have any meaning to it. I was looking for the tag on the door jam, but it's gone. Can still see some of the glue residue under the paint. :(

Take a picture of the tag on the cowl and post it. I assure you it will get deciphered 

My car was missing the LH under headlight trim when I bought it, Thought I had a Good history of the car since I got it from the 2nd owner. However I have found diferent paint on the edge of the LH fender so the fender has been replaced at some point.  I got a pair of used trim on ebay and the LH is corroded pretty bad, dont think it can just be replated. They are pretty similar so the RH would probably fit on the LH fine.   Kinda bugs me but nobody else would probably notice