Chrome trim under 70 headlight

Gregs70

On 6/19/2021 at 6:31 AM, Dtret said:

Take a picture of the tag on the cowl and post it. I assure you it will get deciphered 

Hey Dennis, here's that photo you asked for. Any help you can offer would be great !!! 

Thanks, Scott.

Montelishi I.D. tag.jpg

54 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Hey Dennis, here's that photo you asked for. Any help you can offer would be great !!! 

Thanks, Scott.

Montelishi I.D. tag.jpg

1970 Monte Carlo built in Baltimore the 3rd week of January 1970. Green prima cloth bucket seat interior. Forest green paint with dark green vinyl top.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/decodingbodytag/

2 minutes ago, Canuck said:

1970 Monte Carlo built in Baltimore the 3rd week of January 1970. Green prima cloth bucket seat interior.

I was in the middle of that but you’re so much faster. I get to stop. Thank you 🙏🙂

Like Homer Simpson says.... DOH!!! I agree with the info Aaron stated. Baltimore car. 

Possible rebody at some point?  The flint vin is a good Vin if he has it registered and insured. IDK about the Baltimore Vin. Checking it out could open a can of worms. 

That's been my question all along....... The registered VIN doesn't match up with the cowl tag, yet that's the number registries accepts. Other than the paperwork, there is no evidence of the VIN. on the car. 

I got a chance to decode this tag, came up with the date you found, but like you said, It's a Baltimore tag..... #780 is a green cloth interior with buckets, #45 is Green Mist exterior. Just not sure how it got to be registered as a Flint car..... Unless someone git their "B"s and "F"s confused. 

Not sure if I want to open that can of worms either..... Everything appears to be legal so far.  ;)

You can always find other vin numbers on the body. I know my Monte has two under the heater/ac box on the firewall. There’s supposed to be one on the frame also. I could not find my frame one. But if at some point someone did a body swap either the body tag was switched or the vin tag was. It would not have come off the assembly line that way. 

2 minutes ago, Dtret said:

You can always find other vin numbers on the body. I know my Monte has two under the heater/ac box on the firewall. There’s supposed to be one on the frame also. I could not find my frame one. But if at some point someone did a body swap either the body tag was switched or the vin tag was. It would not have come off the assembly line that way. 

Thanks !

I'll take a look on the firewall when I get her back.. My body guy says that all the body panels appear to be original, just having some rust trimmed out this time around.

Didn't really pursue there being a vinyl top, they get peeled off all the time. I'm just hoping it's something simple like B's and F's getting misread. 

Pop off the dash pad and take a look at the way the flint vin is attached. Rosette rivets? Round head? Patch with Vin welded in place? I would do that first. 

The Vin numbers on the firewall are under the heater/ a/c box. You would have to remove it to see the numbers. 

Also, the Vin you stated in an earlier post does not match the Vin on the body tag. So as far as the B being mistaken for an F, I say no. Sorry. 

41 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Pop off the dash pad and take a look at the way the flint vin is attached. Rosette rivets? Round head? Patch with Vin welded in place? I would do that first. 

The Vin numbers on the firewall are under the heater/ a/c box. You would have to remove it to see the numbers. 

Also, the Vin you stated in an earlier post does not match the Vin on the body tag. So as far as the B being mistaken for an F, I say no. Sorry. 

Are there other locations that he can look to find the vin?

21 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

how about an "F" being mistaken for a "B" ???

17 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

how about an "F" being mistaken for a "B" ???

Your body tag is definitely a “B”. With a car built in Baltimore there are usually multiple build sheets in them. I’ve already found three just in the interior of my 70 Monte built in Baltimore. Happy hunting.

LOOK at the Vin behind the windshield on the dash. It has an F! The trim tag, has a B AND the sequential Vin numbers between the 2 DO NOT MATCH! Now you need to find out why. 

6 hours ago, Canuck said:

Your body tag is definitely a “B”. With a car built in Baltimore there are usually multiple build sheets in them. I’ve already found three just in the interior of my 70 Monte built in Baltimore. Happy hunting.

I've had both seats out and there wasn't anything under there..... Maybe the back seat ??? 

5 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

LOOK at the Vin behind the windshield on the dash. It has an F! The trim tag, has a B AND the sequential Vin numbers between the 2 DO NOT MATCH! Now you need to find out why. 

She's in the paint shop until next week..... I'll let you know once I get a chance to take a look. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 3:43 PM, MC1of80 said:

It was my understanding that the VIN # and the number on the cowl tag aren't supposed to match (according to a couple G.M. websites)..... That's why I was confused as to the data. 

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Oh no, the Vin on the dash and the Vin on the cowl tag ARE supposed to match. 100%

O.K..... 

I originally traced the cowl tag on "Chevelle Stuff" and they said that the last 6 digits aren't supposed to. 

Thanks, Tom. 

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Oh no, the Vin on the dash and the Vin on the cowl tag ARE supposed to match. 100%

Actually, no. The last 6 numbers of the vin are not on the body tag. You will not find those numbers on the body tag.

Hey Scott S.,

Oftentimes you can find your VIN stamped on the flux capacitor.   Remove the ‘Z’ pin just to the left of gigglesnort valve to access it. 

You’re welcome.