Getting the 70 to hook

70MC402

Hello everyone, since i got my rear end rebuilt this past spring and its got the Truetrac ive been trying to figure out the launch nd get the car to really move out, right now its just been on the street, im not trying to be the fastest thing on land just want to get going a little quicker. 

The cars got a very mild cam (212/218) and a edelbrock performer with headers so I would guess its probably pretty close to stock power but it still spins them. Right now its got new UMI upper and lower tubular control arms in the rear, new stock height UMI springs and some ACdelco load assist shocks. The tires are 255/70/15 Be Goodrich T/As. 

Ive been looking into the control arm relocation kits, originally the ones that adjust the upper arms and either bring the rear up or front down to move the instant center rearward. Ive seen quite a few lower control arm brackets to move the lower control arm mounting lower, does anyone have any experience with either of the recolating brackets and experience with how they help plant the rear end. Thanks in advance for all the help! 

20210615_183650_HDR.jpg

Hi. Install a set of 275/60 R15 drag radials. 

My 70 SS has Hotchkiss upper and lower control arms (stock location) qa1 adjustable shocks and a rear (stock) sway bar. Believe it or not the sway bar does alot for traction also. Not just for handling. And 275/60r15 Mickey Thompson drag radials. 

Still spins the tires easily but she's got a 496. Not much won't spin. Lolol 

The bars that relocate the upper control arms on the rear end actually make the car lift as opposed to squatting during launch. Think how Mopars launch with stock leaf springs. Great if you have a tire clearance issue, the body lifts away from the tire. 

Also, front end travel has an effect on rear traction also. 

Sounds like a plan, I gotta get some different wheels on the back for 275s, i had to trim the quarters to get the tires to fit with a person in the back seat because with my rear end build the rear grew a bit. It would be easy if I could just make up my mind on what wheels!! Lol. Are you tslking the ETstreet radials? I had been looking at the ET Street SS'? I was thinking a set of adjustable shocks would be another good step, or coilovers for the height adjustment. 

Are you saying that adjusting the upper bars and causing the body to lift is a bad thing for weight transfer? Is that why so many companies drop the rear of the lower arm down now? I do have an anti roll bar on the bottom arms, its just bolted to them not to the body though. The front has stock arms with new bushings, afco ball joints, a 1 inch drop spring from UMI (actually raised the car up some from the original worn springs with the thread in spreaders) and KYB shocks. 

The et street r or radial pro. The street r is street "legal" while the radial pro "technically" is not. 

Adjustable rear shocks or adjustable coilovers are a good choice for the rear. Especially if you have KYBs in the rear. Stiff shock. 

You may even want to put an adjustable front shock also or even adjustable coil overs. Loosen the front end up a little to get the weight to transfer. 

I'm not saying the "no hop bars" are a bad thing. Just didn't like the way the car looked when launching. 

Also, before spending money on it, try lowering the rear tire air pressure a little to help with the tire spin.

Right now the KYB is in the front, i have some ACdelco load assist shocks that i bought when the car had the stock springs under the rear and i needed the height. Theyre probably too stiff now. 

I guess the big reason I was looking into the no hop bars is because on quite a few of the A Body and Chevelle forums they talk about how moving the instant center to the anti slack line of the tires helps the car really plant the rear end. I guess im not really sure if im worried about the look of the launch as long as it moves out well.

I'll start with the tire pressure though. Thanks for the advice!

You could also install a set of slapper bars. Look like traction bars for coil spring rear suspensions. 

Top photo- sons 71 "pandemic" Monte. Slapped together with "in stock" parts. 355, th400, 2500 hughs converter, 12 bolt, 4.10 posi, f-41 control arms and sway bar, 275/60r15 drag radials, 2.5 flowmaster exhaust system. Yes, everything was in stock. Spins tires on the street, not a squeak at the track. Stock front end rebuild. 

77 GP- Dad's (RIP) ride. He was the original owner. 455 Pontiac, th400, 3000 ATI conv, 8.5 corporate rear, 3.90 spool, Hotchkiss boxed control arms and slapper bars, 3" flowmasters 

Last 2- 79 Grand Am. The 455 and th400 from Dad's GP ( it rotted away) , GN 8.5 with 3.90s and trutrac, Umi boxed control arms and sway bars, 3" full exhaust with ultraflow mufflers.  Pic lifting left front wheel is without the no hop bars and the other is with. 

Just for comparisons.

PXL_20210618_140029058.jpg

PXL_20210618_140043686.jpg

PXL_20210618_140140850.jpg

IMG_0002.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What kind of times does the Pandemic Monte 

On 6/18/2021 at 9:16 AM, MC1of80 said:

You could also install a set of slapper bars. Look like traction bars for coil spring rear suspensions. 

Top photo- sons 71 "pandemic" Monte. Slapped together with "in stock" parts. 355, th400, 2500 hughs converter, 12 bolt, 4.10 posi, f-41 control arms and sway bar, 275/60r15 drag radials, 2.5 flowmaster exhaust system. Yes, everything was in stock. Spins tires on the street, not a squeak at the track. Stock front end rebuild. 

77 GP- Dad's (RIP) ride. He was the original owner. 455 Pontiac, th400, 3000 ATI conv, 8.5 corporate rear, 3.90 spool, Hotchkiss boxed control arms and slapper bars, 3" flowmasters 

Last 2- 79 Grand Am. The 455 and th400 from Dad's GP ( it rotted away) , GN 8.5 with 3.90s and trutrac, Umi boxed control arms and sway bars, 3" full exhaust with ultraflow mufflers.  Pic lifting left front wheel is without the no hop bars and the other is with. 

Just for comparisons.

PXL_20210618_140029058.jpg

PXL_20210618_140043686.jpg

PXL_20210618_140140850.jpg

IMG_0002.JPG

What kind if time does the Pandemic Monte run?

With a bad fuel pump, which we found out at a later date. Nosing over around the 1000ft it ran a best of a 13.20 With a used/new pump the car driving around is a night and day difference better. That being said, I would say it would go 13 flat or in the 12.90s now.