correct battery for ss454 1971

ok, all you fellow SS Owners..........

Who can tell me what the correct battery is for my 71 SS ?

Is it a side mount or top mount?

We have a side post in right now & Greg is thinking it may be incorrect. If this is incorrect then he said something about needing to get new cables (I think...)

Thanks!

capri you might have to look on the build sheet (if) you have it. from what ive read a heavy duty battery would have side mount. and greg is right the battery cables will need to be change if you two put a top mount battery in it. somone in the club has a 71 with side mount cables i think its bruce.

yes Rob it is a heavy duty battery & my build sheet confirms that is correct- we just were not sure which mount. smile

My vote is side mount for 1971. From what I know, 1970 were top mount and 71/72 were all side mount. I believe the Delco code was R89. There is a company that reproduce the battery but their kind of expensive (I think $260). For most car shows as long as you have a "Delco" battery you shouldn't lose any points.

My 2 cents,

Steve

We weren't concerned as far as points & car shows, Greg just knows how much I want my car to be as correct as we can.

Thanks for the help - having fellow SS owners confirm side mount gives us peace of mind that what we have is correct. I believe we just bought the battery last year which makes me think we have already gone thru this question but I couldn't find it in the threads anywhere in the past year so maybe not.

Darryl, I wil check out that link to be sure we have the correct cables. Thanks!

Don't get the cables from OPGI - they are a middle man and get the incorrect (Chevelle) cables even though you ask for Monte Carlo. They won't correct the error in their catalog - they say noone else has complained that they are wrong. But I checked the numbers, called M&H and they confirmed OPGI is listing the wrong part number for the Monte Carlo. OPGI gets the cables from M&H Harness and you can bypass OPGI, get the right cables, and get it alot quicker for close to the same price.

I ordered the side mounts - they are correct for 71. I also got a side mount only battery from Sears for a very good price. (I don't particularly like the dual mount battery look when using side post cables.)

Wait, another complaint about OPG?? I cant believe it lol

Im suprised they had it and didnt back order it for a month or two. As a matter of fact, I think they still have some brake hoses backordered for me from when I first took the frame off, lets see..... that will be 3 years now!!

Wait, another complaint about OPG?? I cant believe it lol

Im suprised they had it and didnt back order it for a month or two. As a matter of fact, I think they still have some brake hoses backordered for me from when I first took the frame off, lets see..... that will be 3 years now!!

Actually I did not share the whole story. I waited three months for those cables. Finally I called them - they said they were waiting on the negative cable. I said "send what ya got". THen they sent a cable that was about a foot too short to reach the battery.

My 70 is an early model 11/69 with HD battery side mount.I just ordered the correct cables from M&H.Got an email today from them and that they were out of one of the cables,did'nt say which one ,but it will be 2-3 wks .Any one else tring to get these cables from them?I'm not in any hurry so I'll just wait.

Terry

M&H is real good with the turn around even if things are not in stock. I think you'll be pleased with the cables when they come in.

Hi all,

I'm still in the process of looking for my SS. My day will come. Just need to be patient. In the mean time, I do follow these threads as it is helping me learn. I also bookmark sites you all mention for future reference. That being said, I can't seem to find M & H and OPG from your descriptions. Can anyone let me please know the full name so I can do a search and save?

Ken

Hi all,

I'm still in the process of looking for my SS. My day will come. Just need to be patient. In the mean time, I do follow these threads as it is helping me learn. I also bookmark sites you all mention for future reference. That being said, I can't seem to find M & H and OPG from your descriptions. Can anyone let me please know the full name so I can do a search and save?

Ken

Ken,

Original Parts Group

M&H

Lutty's Chevy

There is OPGI,M&H, and Luttys, here is a link to our list of suppliers from the FGMCC website

Link to suppliers