Transmission Questions

Azshios84

I have a 1970 Monte that I've been working on. It is going to have a 2012 6.0 LS into it, and was planning on a th400 behind that. Motor has heads, cam, intake and future plans of nitrous or turbo. I had someone on a facebook group offer a really good deal on a Super T10 transmission. Would it be worth trying to convert the car over to manual? It's an original tree car, and bench seats, but has buckets and shifter for a th350 currently. No pedals or Z bar for manual etc. If anyone has more info on the transmission if it would be worth the time on it. Says its a 26 Spline, 6 Ring 3.42 First gear, 1979 Cast Super T10. I currently have 4.11s in my rear end, and thinking the first gear is way to low to be useable with the rear gears I already have. 

Thanks for any input or info,

Austin

I've broken Super T-10s (26 spline input shaft too) in the past, wouldn't be my first choice, especially nowadays with the multitude of better options out there.

If it’s a really good deal there’s probably a reason go it. 79 your starting to get to the , it’s not about longevity it’s about getting through the warranty period and it’s no longer our problem,era. Be careful with it. Ask yourself first do you want an automatic or manual,weekend warrior or daily driver. Me personally if I’m driving it every day automatic. 

The t-10 and super T-10 are not as strong as the Muncie units they replaced. That being said, the LS engines do not have a provision for the Z bar ball. You would either have to search the internet for something or convert to hydraulic throw out bearing.

There are kits for the Monte Carlo produced that have the pedals, linkage, bars and the Monte Carlo specific chassis mount for the zbar  and hardware. But again, this will only work if you fab up or locate someone that makes the zbar mount on the block side. 

For a t-10 of any variant, I say nay. Pass. You could also look at 5 and 6 speeds. Just a thought. 

Hope this helps.