New project

So I've been tossing the idea around for a while, I bought another hood from a member a couple years ago thinking I want to make a cowl hood. Well I finally started on it we'll see how it goes. This is beyond my talent level but I will take my time and we'll see. Its in pretty good shape but have some surface rust to deal with on the bottom so I started on that. Gonna get it all stripped down then graft a cowl scoop on the top, I'm definitely not going to try and cut a chevelle hood and put it together.  Just kinda like a 2 inch cowl. We'll see how it goes. This will be a long term project but will let you know how it's going as I go along. Heres what I started with. 

20210107_145459.jpg

20210621_181445.jpg

20210622_121724.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been working on the hood off and on between vacations and other things. I'll tell you all them layres of paint are a pain to get off, it seems awful hard. And the white primer (or whatever it is) is on there thick too. But I'm almost to the point of deciding which scoop to get, and what to do with louvers and to cut the hole out of the center or not. Decisions Decisions 🤔 

20210812_142150.jpg

16 minutes ago, Brew said:

DA sander & 80 grit will get her done

at least that’s what worked for me

i look forward to seeing your progress!

No it didn't,  my compressor won't keep up with my da so I got one of them electric ones it barley touched it. I used 80 grit on a grinder on low speed. That cut through it but there was several layers of paint to get through.  It's a slow moving process. 

I am willing to bet that is a fiber glass evercoat product. You mix a hardener with very thin bondo or thick primer called Slick Sand and is sprayed on like primer. It gets harder than a rock and is very hard to sand and is white or at least a vey light tan.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Leghome said:

I am willing to bet that is a fiber glass evercoat product. You mix a hardener with very thin bondo or thick primer called Slick Sand and is sprayed on like primer. It gets harder than a rock and is very hard to sand and is white or at least a vey light tan.

I was thinking something like that too but didn't know if anything like that existed probably what it is. Well it's pretty much gone now. Thanks Larry

• 4 weeks later...

That looks good but I think you may find it a little plain when done. Have you thought of a donor chevelle hood and cutting off the cowl part. Or are you going unique?  It will look good. I like the mock up. 

Well after an almost hundred dollar trip to body supply store I got some primer on the hood. Now the fun begins I guess it time to figure out which scoop I'm going with 🤔 body supplies are outrageous 😳 guess that's why paint jobs are so expensive and of course you need someone that knows what there doing.

20210913_140939.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am starting to feel better so I got down to work on the hood a little more, the back is pretty much set(a few scratches to get out still) and the nose is pretty much set too. The rest of the work will be incorporated in grafting the new scoop on. Getting ready to order scoop then comes the scary parts, cutting the hood to make it more functional. I wasn't going to cut it at first but figured what the heck may as make it functional.  Wish me luck 🙏

20211113_150519.jpg

20211113_150506.jpg

• Like 3

And now the fun begins,  got the scoop today, set it on but not in place yet. Gotta get it measured up and sitting where it's gonna go and get it marked off where it's gonna be then start the cutting.  Hopefully I don't trash a perfectly good hood and a brand new scoop 🤪🤔 wish me luck I may need it.

20211119_124531.jpg

• Like 3